Obsticles!

Options
Ok,

So I know I just joined here today but I have tried this on my own and I do find myself victim to annoying obsticles! I am hoping I find people who maybe encounter the same obsticles and have solution or I can just plain ol' vent my annoyances!

First off is like many people in this world I find myself on a tight budget and it seems I can't maintain the healthy food I need in my house it gets way to easy to buy all that proccessed junk because of the price.
I am a stay at home mom right now. I live in a teeny apartment. So doing at home work outs is REALLY limited I can hardly do a lunge without bumping into my couch or tv stand.
I can't really go outdoors for walks with my daughter as its Alberta and its minus 20.
I can't go to the gym because my bf works such unpredictable hours and always during the day it would likely just be a waste of money and the only gym in my community is a co-ed gym which honestly just scares me.

Anyways I just find myself day by day getting so discouraged just because I am so limited. Am I the only one feeling this way? What do others do to perk themselves up to keep you driven? Please Help.

Thanks!

Replies

• Gershwyn
    Options
    I can't really go outdoors for walks with my daughter as its Alberta and its minus 20.

But... but... but that's when the best skiing is!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of walks! If your daughter can be in a stroller push her, it's added calorie burn and resistance for you! If not, well, when there's no snow or ice get her to bike!
  • ange4
    ange4 Posts: 3
    Options
    Where there is a will there is a way...?

I find some of the same problems - I do my best to buy what I can for my healthy eating and walk with my daughter (1) when it's not raining outside. I also just started an aerobics class because it's indoors and will get me through the winter. I wouldn't look at what you 'can't' do.. instead think of what you 'Can' Do...
  • iwannabher
    Options
    Lots and lots of walks! If your daughter can be in a stroller push her, it's added calorie burn and resistance for you! If not, well, when there's no snow or ice get her to bike!

She CAN definitely be in a stroller however when its minus 20 shes going to freeze her little nose off. She's only 9 months. Thanks though, definitely when summer rolls around!!!
  • iwannabher
    Options

But... but... but that's when the best skiing is!

Words cannot express my hate for skiing, lol.
  • PrincessPudgy
    Options
    I know you have very limited space, but have you considered just jumping on the spot? I know it's not very ideal, but that's the only option I can really think of.

I know you said that your boyfriend works unpredictable hours - so you don't know if you could really go to the gym. I know gym's can be expensive but if you can afford it I suggest you at least trial it. I know co-ed can be scary. I was so intimidated when I first started at my co-ed gym. I am VERY self concious - but I know what going to the gym is something that's good for me. In the end people are mainly just focused on themselves that they don't notice anyone else.

But perhaps try the jumping first! At least it's something.

If you can maintain having limited calories, then thats something.

I wish you well :)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Turn on the music and DANCE!!! Even if you don't have a ton of room you can still shake it!! it's like do it yourself Zumba! When I first started this adventure I put in my favorite dancing CD (Balkan Beat Box) and would dance while I was cleaning. Sometimes I would stop cleaning and just dance and then go back to cleaning.

As for the food- clip coupons, buy in bulk & freeze, in the summer go local (local farms and markets often have fresh veggies and fruits MUCH cheaper than what you find at the store (hello?! cut out the middle man).

I don't have a kid but I do live in a little apartment, I don't have a ton of money but I do have the desire to change my life. If you have the desire these "obsticles" stop being excuses for NOT doing it.

Remember:
    "No one trips over mountains-it is the small pebble causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain."

Here's to crossing them mountain despite the pebbles. :drinker:
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound harsh (well maybe I do!) but those aren't obstacles, those sound awfully like excuses to me. The reason I've gained weight over the last few years is by telling myself exactly those same excuses and I've realised I'm letting myself down.
    You CAN eat healthily on a budget, you CAN find the time and a way to exercise but only you can make yoursefl do it.

Good luck

DD
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options

I am a stay at home mom right now. I live in a teeny apartment. So doing at home work outs is REALLY limited I can hardly do a lunge without bumping into my couch or tv stand.

Thanks!

Hi there-
    I live in a teeny tiny apt. When I can't run outside and have to do a DVD instead, I take all the coffee table books and put them under the couch. Then I flip the coffe table upside down onto the couch. This is not great and won't work if you have heavy furniture, but it is actually enough space to do a DVD, depending on which DVD, etc.

My furniture in all easy to move - it's all flea market mid-century stuff. If you have heavy furniture, maybe you can put those gliders under the legs and move some of the stuff just temporarily so you can get a workout in! Move it back when you're done?

I'm not trying to sound preachy - I've been there! There aren't always easy answers, but there are answers. Believe me, I lived in this tiny space and it took me awhile to figure this out! What you don't want to do is back yourself into a corner and feel like you don't have any choices.

Good luck!!! :flowerforyou: