Help with alternative ideas for Chinese food?

Options
I'm a big fan of Asian inspired cuisine, but realize that i will need to limit and cut most of the unhealthy stuff out, just looking for some alternative ideas?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Stir fry.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I get spicy shrimp and vegetable dishes and have a couple of steamed potstickers. You can ask them to cook with less oil too.

I make fried rice at home but I put tons of chopped vegetables and don't use much oil.
  • GermanChocolate91
    Options
    If you look online, there are plenty of "skinny" recipe versions of chinese take out. My favorites are skinny orange chicken or skinny general tsao. Good luck
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Asian food is one of the easiest to make "healthy," IMHO. Cut back on the rice/noodles a little, and don't over-do the oil, and stay away from super-Americanized fried-and-sugar dishes (sweet and sour chicken at 99% of Chinese restaurants, for example) and you're golden. The other night I made a super delicious beef and broccoli dish and had a huge portion (including rice!) for under 400 calories.
  • gtmuggs
    gtmuggs Posts: 16
    Options
    Would you have that recipe? I:smile:
  • gtmuggs
    Options
    For your home fried rice, what type of rice do you use?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    For your home fried rice, what type of rice do you use?

I use white rice for fried rice I make at home. I use some ideas from this site

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/quick-easy-superfast-asian-recipes-00400000047614/
  • gtmuggs
    Options
    Ok will definitely put these ideas to use thanks to everyone for the ideas.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Asian food is one of the easiest to make "healthy," IMHO. Cut back on the rice/noodles a little, and don't over-do the oil, and stay away from super-Americanized fried-and-sugar dishes (sweet and sour chicken at 99% of Chinese restaurants, for example) and you're golden. The other night I made a super delicious beef and broccoli dish and had a huge portion (including rice!) for under 400 calories.

This!^ ......so many veggies.

Stay away the deep fried meats too......totally uneccessary
  • jnnfrch
    jnnfrch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I found this amazing rice pot recipe, it's my fix instead of unhealthy chinese!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cook your own so you can control content. When eating it in a restaurant just stick to non-breaded option to lower calories. Soup and stir fry are good choices. And realize that you are going to get a crapload of sodium, so drink extra water and eat extra potassium.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe I used:

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-easy-beef-and-broccoli-stir-fry-99476

I reduced the oil a bit (just didn't need that much) and used olive oil, and built my recipe using the exact weight and cut of meat I had (I used sirloin and only had like .85lbs) and came up with 1/4 of the recipe at 267 calories, 15g fat, 18 each of protein and carbs. Added some minced garlic and ginger, too :). Next time I'll add in some variety in the veggies! I had it with 1/2C of cooked white rice to the tune of about 100 calories, added in a side of pea pods in a teeny tiny bit of sesame oil, and it was a totally filling dinner :).
  • gtmuggs
    Options
    oh really!! are you able to send me the recipe or is it on your page?
  • gtmuggs
    Options
    I found this amazing rice pot recipe, it's my fix instead of unhealthy chinese!

oh really!! are you able to send me the recipe or is it on your page?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Lighter versions of Asian food are Northern Thai and Vietnamese. Less oil. Fresher and lighter. There are plenty of classic Chinese recipes that are not too oily. Try Szechuan green beans, or Ma Po Tofu. Stick to plain rice.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    And give Korean a try too. Mostly marinated grilled meats, or spicy stews so not so greasy if you avoid fried starters.
  • SKMC0214
    SKMC0214 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    this is my favorite egg roll recipe:

2/3 cup coarsely chopped celery
    2/3 cup coarsely chopped carrot
    2 cups shredded cabbage
    1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    2/3 cup chopped onion
    1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    1 garlic clove, minced
    4 oz baked or grilled chicken breast chopped
    1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    14 egg roll wrappers
    1 large egg white

Preheat oven to 425°.
    Combine celery and carrot in food processor, and pulse 10 times or until finely chopped.
    Combine celery mixture and cabbage in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at high 5 minutes; drain.
    Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cabbage mixture, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, and pepper. Cover and chill 15 minutes.
    Place 1 egg roll wrapper at a time onto work surface with 1 corner pointing toward you (wrapper should look like a diamond). Spoon 3 tablespoons chicken filling into center of wrapper. Fold lower corner of egg roll wrapper over filling. Fold in corners. Moisten top corner of wrapper with egg white; roll up jelly-roll fashion. Repeat procedure with remaining wrappers,chicken filling, and egg white.
    Lightly coat egg rolls with cooking spray, and place, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until golden brown.

you may not always get exactly 14 out of this, it just depends on how full you make them. :) The are awesome and very, very low calorie for 14 it averages 79 calories each. They are also awesome with pork, turkey or shrimp
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I would go for stir fry prawns or chow main. I would keep of anything crispy and most things with source in . Boiled rice is far better than fried rice
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I made grilled teriyaki chicken with stir fried veggies last night, take a look at my diary if you like, it's one of my go-to's. No need to avoid Chinese food, just make good choices.

Rigger