Why do people weigh their food?

Options

Replies

• Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I weigh it because I don't rely on the accuracy of packaging. When it says a serving size is "about 2" what exactly does that mean...and I bought a slice of carrot cake from Publix as a splurge a month ago that said 4oz and it weighed in at 7.33oz so instead of being about 400 calories as stated per 3oz serving it would run you close to 900+ in actuality.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    weigh it - eat it - log it.

That should be a bumper sticker.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's because I'm lazy. I find it a lot easier to put a bowl on my scale and hit the tare button between each ingredient instead of digging up a bunch of different measuring spoons and cups while I'm cooking. But that's just me.

Whoa, I never thought of doing this and I've had my digital scale for a long time! I feel a little dippy right now!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Because I can't eyeball measure worth a hoot.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Because 4 oz of steak does not contain the same amount of calories as 10 oz.....I thought that was pretty clear. smdh
  • turtlebeach
    turtlebeach Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yea, all the above.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I do it to feel superior over others who don't weight their food.

It works remarkably well.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you "get counting calories" then you need to understand that counting calories requires weighting food.

All calorie counts are ultimately expressed in terms of the weight of the serving.

I have met people who honestly think that "a serving" in a calorie count worksheet is "however much I serve myself!"

To count calories, you need to understand that when the book or the website tells you that "one serving" of roasted chicken breast is 231 calories, that "one serving" consists of 140 grams. If you eat more than 140 grams, you need to do math.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I recently started to weigh, and found I was way off in my eyeballing, and I can eat more now than I could when I was eyeballing it. I was lowballing everything.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I'm in to see how many people are going to keep answering an answered question. 2 pages and counting...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm in to see how many people are going to keep answering an answered question. 2 pages and counting...

I'd just like to know why the OP thought she could count calories without weighing.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I'd just like to know why the OP thought she could count calories without weighing.

Yeah, me too. The question betrays an ignorance if something far more fundamental than calorie counting.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you're going to post a joke thread, at least put it in the chit chat forum.

b58b207dc96cd6bcfc368fb7c87926e7-do-not-dumb-here.jpg
  • BondBomb
    Options

If everyone thought like you did, there would be a question and an answer and that's it. Fortunately, most people are not.
    Yes but after 5-6 people give the same answer common sense would dictate that this is the answer. Especially as this is not one where opinions differ.
    You really only need one right answer.
  • BondBomb
    Options

Ah now THIS is an interesting question.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I go for the 80% solution. No need for me to weigh foodstuffs on the scale.

Now if I was going to compete in BB Physique, then I would probably go to the 100% and weigh everything I ate.
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I only weigh my food when a serving size says "ounces". That's the only time I use a scale. :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

If everyone thought like you did, there would be a question and an answer and that's it. Fortunately, most people are not.
    Yes but after 5-6 people give the same answer common sense would dictate that this is the answer. Especially as this is not one where opinions differ.
    You really only need one right answer.

I (and I'm thinking others) took it as "Why do YOU weigh your food?" Hence, all the answers.