Is it possible to workout to much? burn to many calories?

Options
I'm just curious, is there like a "maximum" to this?

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is called exhaustion. You can die from it. For example, research the history of one of the most well known running events called the marathon.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Other than what you can fit into your schedule and your personal fitness level, no, there's no limit (but if you were training like an Olympic athlete you'd also be eating 5,000 cal or more per day and not be putting weight on)

It is possible to overtrain and it is possible, even likely (if one jumps right into the deep end before learning to swim (metaphorically) to develop an overuse injury.

Any fitness program should follow a natural and sustainable progression. If you're just starting to run the key is short & slow and build on that; same with weights, start lighter & focus on form and build.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sorta depends on how you define maximum. In the endurance sports (running, cycling, etc.) it is possible to deplete your glycogen stores so much that you have a serious lack of energy, this is termed bonking. However, to really bonk you have to be in awesome shape, so I suppose few of us need worry about that. More important is keeping hydrated, you can get in serious problems if you don't properly hydrate during long workout sessions.
  • MrsMRo220
    MrsMRo220 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is called exhaustion. You can die from it. For example, research the history of one of the most well known running events called the marathon.

Do you NEED to be rude? Seriously?! This is a website for support of each other. For people to have questions answered...not for rudeness. I'm not an idiot, not need to speak to me that way, I was curious, because I am working out a lot and I don't want to hinder my weight loss any.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This is a lifestyle change thing for me too.....not just diet. If you love exercise & see yourself exercising hours a day in the distant future......go for it.

OR .....are you trying to speed up weight loss by exercising a lot? Losing weight quickly (exercise or not) has consequences. Moderate weight loss gives your body enough calories to hang onto what's important (muscle).
  • MrsMRo220
    Options
    Other than what you can fit into your schedule and your personal fitness level, no, there's no limit (but if you were training like an Olympic athlete you'd also be eating 5,000 cal or more per day and not be putting weight on)

It is possible to overtrain and it is possible, even likely (if one jumps right into the deep end before learning to swim (metaphorically) to develop an overuse injury.

Any fitness program should follow a natural and sustainable progression. If you're just starting to run they key is short & slow and build on that; same with weights, start lighter & focus on form and build.

Okay then I should be okay. I've worked out (a lot actually) in the past, in between pregnancies, but usually got pregnant and just stopped. I've started everything off slow, I was working out last summer a lot, but then, just stopped. This time there will not be any stopping :) so I started out very slow with everything. I'm still using very light weights only because I have like no muscle and after a bit even my little weights start to feel very heavy! Lol I am doing a lot of cardio though, which I don't struggle with to bad. I just really love it.
  • MrsMRo220
    Options

This is a lifestyle change thing for me too.....not just diet. If you love exercise & see yourself exercising hours a day in the distant future......go for it.

OR .....are you trying to speed up weight loss by exercising a lot? Losing weight quickly (exercise or not) has consequences. Moderate weight loss gives your body enough calories to hang onto what's important (muscle).
    . No I just really love cardio...like a lot. Strength training and walking, and jogging, I love them too..however I'm snowed in basically right now lol. Really though, idk I just really enjoy cardio, I love that feeling after finishing a workout.
  • MrsMRo220
    Options
    Sorta depends on how you define maximum. In the endurance sports (running, cycling, etc.) it is possible to deplete your glycogen stores so much that you have a serious lack of energy, this is termed bonking. However, to really bonk you have to be in awesome shape, so I suppose few of us need worry about that. More important is keeping hydrated, you can get in serious problems if you don't properly hydrate during long workout sessions.

Bonk..lol. Well I mostly right now am doing cardio. I'm drinking a lot of water, around 120 oz a day. Apis no where near awesome shape so I don't think I will "bonk" :)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

Do you NEED to be rude? Seriously?! This is a website for support of each other. For people to have questions answered...not for rudeness. I'm not an idiot, not need to speak to me that way, I was curious, because I am working out a lot and I don't want to hinder my weight loss any.
    I don't see anything "rude" about this person's response. You didn't include enough information for anyone to determine that what you were really asking was "Is there a point of physical activity at which it is either no longer achieving my weight loss and body recomposition goals or possibly could be causing me harm?" Your response to the person above seems much more ungracious to me than their answer to your query.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Any fitness program should follow a natural and sustainable progression. If you're just starting to run the key is short & slow and build on that; same with weights, start lighter & focus on form and build.

Pretty much only Olympians and Galley Slaves have this problem.
  • ElliottTN
    Options

I wasn't being rude. I was telling you yes and giving you an example that had a cool story of the start of a famous race for your entertainment. However, your response to it is extremely rude. I think you need to grow up.
  • MrsMRo220
    Options

I wasn't being rude. I was telling you yes and giving you an example that had a cool story of the start of a famous race for your entertainment. However, your response to it is extremely rude. I think you need to grow up.

You were most likely being sarcastic and now trying to save face. Do what you gotta do kid!
  • ElliottTN
    Options

You were most likely being sarcastic and now trying to save face. Do what you gotta do kid!

Grow up.
  • kjfisher1835
    Options
    When you workout, the soreness that you feel is minor muscle damage (a good thing) as muscle then rebuilds. That's why protein is important as you workout more. I work different muscle groups daily in order to give the previous days muscles time to repair. If I am really sore all over it's a good day to perhaps do just cardio. If your muscles hurt to much, you're likely not getting as much good out of your workout and perhaps stressing your muscles and joints to much. Keep up the good work, you appear to be on the right path.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just to add, you can do a fair bit of exercise before it becomes 'too much' as long as you are fuelling it properly. More people burn out from under eating rather than over training.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I don't see anything "rude" about this person's response. You didn't include enough information for anyone to determine that what you were really asking was "Is there a point of physical activity at which it is either no longer achieving my weight loss and body recomposition goals or possibly could be causing me harm?" Your response to the person above seems much more ungracious to me than their answer to your query.

I thought the same thing. What was rude about that? I think its easy on an online forum to imagine whatever voice inflections and tones you think are implied... and you may be right or wrong. I try, very hard, to not do this. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and assume their answer is sincere and that they are trying to be helpful, unless their words are very clearly rude beyond a doubt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There comes a point of diminishing returns. Your body can only oxidize so much fat and your glycogen stores are limited. Eventually, you do start to just burn muscle. A lot of endurance athletes actually burn through a lot of muscle training for their events for this very reason.

Personally, I would suggest sitting down and exploring some actual fitness goals that go beyond burning calories. Burning calories is just a bi-product of your activity...there is so much more to exercise than just burning calories. It would also be a very good idea to incorporate strength/resistance work into your fitness regimen if you are not already doing so. It is very important and it is important to take a balanced approach to your fitness.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating appropriately to support your exercise then you have to go to pretty extreme levels before "too many calories" becomes an issue. You are much more likely to be hitting limits of recovery or getting over-use injuries.

You might find this article interesting to see how Tour de France riders have to eat to fuel themselves (up to 5,000 or 6,000 calories a day).....
    http://www.bicycling.com/garmin-insider/featured-stories/eating-tour-de-france
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I read in "Red" magazine for January 2014 an article about happiness/wellbeing which said that "Mood result have been shown from just 10 minutes (more is better for health and mind, of course), with the biggest boost between 30 and 35 minutes (you may be pleased to know, more than 75 minutes caused decreased wellbeing).

Unfortunately, this particular finding is not backed up in the article, but otherwise, the rest of the article seems to be based on research by the University of Warwick and Otago (for what they're worth).

I realise that this isn't concentrating on "working out for fitness/weight loss" and rather vaguely concentrates on "time" exercising as opposed to "intensity". Even "wellbeing" is a bit vague - granted. However, as somebody who has started to see exercise as a means of feeling better (and then hopefully, things like weight loss and a good looking body will naturally follow), I thought this was interesting.

*edited to clarify that it is talking about 10 minutes OF EXERCISE. I leave to your imagination what else you could do for between 10 and 35 minutes to make you feel better and more than 75 minutes could have detrimental effect!!!