HEALTHY, FILLING, LOW CALORIE MUFFIN RECIPES

Options
drummergirl61
drummergirl61 Posts: 13 Member
I'm looking for a healthy, filling, low calorie muffin recipe. I know there's a zillion out there on the web but I'm at work and don't have time to surf the web. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's an old Weight Watchers recipe for pumpkin muffins that's pretty good. You mix a box of spice cake mix with a 15oz can of pumpkin puree (not pie filling) and add a 1/2 cup of water. Bake for 20-25 min at 350 F. Makes 2 dozen. Calories depend on the brand but they're typically around 100 cal per muffin with just a few grams of fat.

You can also use chocolate cake mix (my personal fave) or carrot cake mix - again calories will vary based on the mix you use.
  • ErikaLloyd
    Options
    I can of pumpkin + 1 box of cake mix! Any kind of cake mix will work. If you use the pumpkin pie filling, you don't need to add any water.
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    2.5 cups oats
    1 cup greek nonfat yogurt
    2 eggs (I used ground flax instead. 3 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon ground flax = 1 egg)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    2 bananas

bake on 400 for 15-20 minutes
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I agree. The cake mix and pumpkin pie filling are the best. No need to add water.
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I modified a cranberry muffin recipe from crunchycreamysweet.com. They freeze well and are very moist, filling and tasty.
    It is a pretty good muffin base that you could alter to fit your taste. The options are endless, just switch out the cranberries for your favorite add ins.

I just found this myself so haven't had time to experiment further but I think this would be good with diced apples and a teaspoon or so of of cinnamon. I also wouldn't mind experimenting with switching out a bit more flour for some oats.

Cranberry Muffins
    (modified from crunchycreamysweet.com)
    15 muffins - 130 calories per muffin with my ingredients

1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
    1/2 c. wheat germ (If you don't have wheat germ just add an extra 1/2 c. flour)
    1 T. Baking powder
    1/2 t. salt
    1 egg
    3/4 c. white sugar
    1/4 c. applesauce
    1 c. plus 3 T. light sour cream
    1 c. fresh cranberries

1.Reserve about 1/4 of a cup of smaller cranberries to place on top of muffins.
    2.Grease the muffin tin, cups and the top. Set aside.
    3.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
    4.In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg for 20 seconds.
    5.Individually add sugar, applesauce and sour cream, whick after each addition until smooth.
    6.In another mixing bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ and baking powder.
    7.Add berries and stir in until evenly distributed.
    8.Fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a rubber spatula.
    9.Do not overmix.
    10.Scoop the batter with an ice cream scoop into the muffin tin.
    11.Place reserved berries on top of the muffins. Gently press them into the batter.
    12.Bake the muffins for 21 to 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each muffin comes out clean.
    13.Cool on a wire rack.
  • JackieAC1951
    JackieAC1951 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing recipe ideas!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bump

I've done carrot cake mix and pumpkin and it's delicious, but I need something new.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Mmm, that oat, Greek yogurt one sounds deeelish!

I am a big fan of the pumpkin + cake mix muffins. Make them all the time. I have been having trouble finding spice cake mix recently, though, so have been using white cake and throwing in a TONNE of pumpkin pie spice and cinammon. They're delicious (I think better than spice cake mix ones).
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to try the carrot cake muffins on Mel's Kitchen Cafe blog: www.melskitchencafe.com/2013/11/healthy-applesauce-carrot-muffins-a-k-a-carrot-cake-muffins.html They look like they would be really filling and healthy.

Also another muffin recipe I thought of that might fit your criteria are these banana muffins. They are super moist and delicious. They freeze well too. Since I am the only one who eats muffins in our house, I like to wrap the muffins in saran wrap individually then package in a large freezer bag.This works great so I can just pull one out whenever I need a snack.

Banana Nut Muffins
    14 muffins
    132 calories per muffin with my ingredients

339 g ripe mashed banana (I am thinking this was two or three bananas)
    1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
    1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
    3/4 t. baking soda
    1/4 t. salt
    2 T. butter
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    2 egg whites
    1/2 t. vanilla
    3/8 c. chopped walnuts

Directions:
    1.Preheat oven to 350°. Grease muffin tin.
    2.In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
    3.In a large bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, bananas, apple sauce and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
    4.Add flour mixture then blend at low speed until combined.
    5.Add walnuts. Do not over mix.
    6.Use cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to fill muffin tin cups 2/3rds full. Bake on the center rack for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
    7.Cool on wire rack.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/no-fat-banana-applesauce-muffins-321760

I've made these with splenda and with regular sugar-about a 30 calorie difference
    I've also added mini chocolate chips which gives you a nice taste of chocolate.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EHolstrom
    EHolstrom Posts: 2,563 Member
    Options
    ive been looking for some good muffin recipes too thanks!
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • craftymommyof3
    craftymommyof3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Carrot applesauce muffins

½ cups whole-wheat flour
    •1 teaspoon baking soda
    •1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    •½ teaspoon ground ginger
    •½ teaspoon salt
    •½ cup butter (1 stick), softened (but not melted)
    •½ cup honey
    •1 egg
    •1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    •1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    •¾ cup carrot shreds (I used a cheese grater)

Instructions
    1.Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper, foil, or silicone liners, and set aside.
    2.In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
    3.In a large bowl fitted with an electric whisk (or beaters), mix the butter, honey, egg and vanilla together on medium speed. Turn the speed down and slowly add in the flour mixture until well combined. The batter will be fairly thick at this point.
    4.Using a spatula, carefully fold in the applesauce and carrots. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until a toothpick comes and muffins are beginning to turn golden brown on top. Enjoy!

THEY are 160 calories each
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I made these

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/whole-wheat-blueberry-muffins.html

They are delicious. Couldn't eat just one though...
  • lilndnfeather22
    lilndnfeather22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kosmosEP
    kosmosEP Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump. Mmmmmmmm Muffins...:love: