Recommendations for a New Bike for Me!

Options
Hi Everyone! For the past few years I have been riding a Schwinn Comfort Series Bike. Its a good basic bike but is heavy, doesn't have good gearing, and is pretty slow. Last Summer I upped my mileage greatly. My average rides were from 50-75 km and I had several rides which were 100+ km including a 100 km charity bike ride to raise money for cancer research.

I knew that my bike was pretty clunky but the necessity to purchase a new bike struck home when my riding partner for the 100 km charity ride noted to me that I had to pedal twice around as compared to her one time around just to keep up with her!

I am interested in a good overall road bike. I like longer distances and will never be really fast. However I do want to be a bit faster than I am now and I would like to go up hills a bit more easily. I have signed up again for the 100 km charity bike ride (might consider changing to the 100 mile option if I purchase the right bike). I am also considering entering some duothalons - either sprint-du or the olympic-du, not sure.

In any case, would any of you be able to recommend a good, comfortable road bike for me? Also, when I go shopping any specific issues which I should take into consideration when making my final choice?

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Go to a real bicycle shop. They can fit you into exactly what fit your needs and size and budget.
    My personal preference is a mountain bike even for road riding because the shoulder is pretty much non-existent in my area. a 25c tire won't do well in the dirt when a car gets too close. :bigsmile:

As far as brands go, the guy at the bike shop is better informed than I am.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Go into a few bike stores and ask for road bikes. See what they steer you to in your price range. Try riding some and see how you feel. They will probably all feel better and faster than the one you are on now.

You will probably buy a new seat and pedals with a new bike. A good bike seat can make all the difference, especially with the distances you are riding. If you don't have pedals you clip into now, you will probably want to buy some. Which leads to buying shoes that fit the clip. A bike computer (odometer) will cost around $30 and go up. You will also want to buy water bottle cages and a bag for tools that goes under the seat and the tools and extra tube.

Finally, if you are a smaller woman they might try to talk you into a smaller bike. Most road bikes have standard wheel size. If you buy one with a non-standard wheel size and you have problems on the 100K or 100mile ride, the bike mechanics might not stock your tire or tube size.

Any road bike you buy will be appropriate for duathlons.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! For the past few years I have been riding a Schwinn Comfort Series Bike. Its a good basic bike but is heavy, doesn't have good gearing, and is pretty slow. Last Summer I upped my mileage greatly. My average rides were from 50-75 km and I had several rides which were 100+ km including a 100 km charity bike ride to raise money for cancer research.

I knew that my bike was pretty clunky but the necessity to purchase a new bike struck home when my riding partner for the 100 km charity ride noted to me that I had to pedal twice around as compared to her one time around just to keep up with her!

I am interested in a good overall road bike. I like longer distances and will never be really fast. However I do want to be a bit faster than I am now and I would like to go up hills a bit more easily. I have signed up again for the 100 km charity bike ride (might consider changing to the 100 mile option if I purchase the right bike). I am also considering entering some duothalons - either sprint-du or the olympic-du, not sure.

In any case, would any of you be able to recommend a good, comfortable road bike for me? Also, when I go shopping any specific issues which I should take into consideration when making my final choice?

Base on what you describe (distance/endurance), I would certainly think about looking at the endurance road bike line from Specialized called Roubaix (Ruby for the females) or the Trek line called Domane (WSD for women). A bit more relaxed position (more comfortable as a result), these bikes absorb the bumps very well and are really the latest high tech stuff that both have entry level models all the way up to break the bank account models.

Specialized examples: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/ruby

Trek examples: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/endurance_race/domane_4_series/

Both are designed for exactly what you describe.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Go to a real bicycle shop. They can fit you into exactly what fit your needs and size and budget.
    My personal preference is a mountain bike even for road riding because the shoulder is pretty much non-existent in my area. a 25c tire won't do well in the dirt when a car gets too close. :bigsmile:

As far as brands go, the guy at the bike shop is better informed than I am.

Thanks for you help.
    For the most part, we have very good shoulders on the roads where I bike. They are nice and wide and I feel pretty safe even with traffic whipping by at 80-100 kmph. I will go to a few bike shops near me. It seems though that every bike shop only carries one or two name brands. Trek, Canondale, and Specialized seem to be the top contenders.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options

Base on what you describe (distance/endurance), I would certainly think about looking at the endurance road bike line from Specialized called Roubaix (Ruby for the females) or the Trek line called Domane (WSD for women). A bit more relaxed position (more comfortable as a result), these bikes absorb the bumps very well and are really the latest high tech stuff that both have entry level models all the way up to break the bank account models.

Specialized examples: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/ruby

Trek examples: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/endurance_race/domane_4_series/

Both are designed for exactly what you describe.

Fantastic--these are two that I am definitely interested in!!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Third vote for going to a cycling store. They will be able to steer you better.

I don't know what your budget is for a new bicycle but I am a huge fan of Giant bicycles. They are sturdy and take the beating I can put on one. However, since I have caviar taste and a sardines budget, I don't own a Giant a the moment. I had to go old school with an older 1980's steel lugged bicycle, it was free, only cost me roughly $100 to make the upgrades I wanted. I frequently put 30-60 miles on it for my log ride days. I have a century ride in June and am adding a new racing style seat, the clip in pedals and shoes and possibly aero bars since I also would like to do sprint distance tris.

If you have a better budget than I do you may also look cyclocross bicycles. Those come with some pretty cool feature I would love to have.

Ultimately the best bicycle for you is the one you are most comfortable on. Just because you are pedaling 2 times to your friends 1 doesn't exactly translate into more work. If you are comfy on the bicycle you have now I wouldn't worry about it.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Go into a few bike stores and ask for road bikes. See what they steer you to in your price range. Try riding some and see how you feel. They will probably all feel better and faster than the one you are on now.

You will probably buy a new seat and pedals with a new bike. A good bike seat can make all the difference, especially with the distances you are riding. If you don't have pedals you clip into now, you will probably want to buy some. Which leads to buying shoes that fit the clip. A bike computer (odometer) will cost around $30 and go up. You will also want to buy water bottle cages and a bag for tools that goes under the seat and the tools and extra tube.

Finally, if you are a smaller woman they might try to talk you into a smaller bike. Most road bikes have standard wheel size. If you buy one with a non-standard wheel size and you have problems on the 100K or 100mile ride, the bike mechanics might not stock your tire or tube size.

Any road bike you buy will be appropriate for duathlons.

Yes, test riding is a great idea! I have my current bike fitted with water bottle cages and a bell cyclocomputer. I also have toe cages/straps as I have been afraid to go with the clipless pedals/shoes. Perhaps I will have to bite the bullet with the new bike. I am 5 foot 7 1/2 inches so not that small. I think my current bike frame is a bit small for my body so I will make sure that the bike is a good fit.
    Thanks!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options

I don't know what your budget is for a new bicycle but I am a huge fan of Giant bicycles. They are sturdy and take the beating I can put on one. However, since I have caviar taste and a sardines budget, I don't own a Giant a the moment. I had to go old school with an older 1980's steel lugged bicycle, it was free, only cost me roughly $100 to make the upgrades I wanted. I frequently put 30-60 miles on it for my log ride days. I have a century ride in June and am adding a new racing style seat, the clip in pedals and shoes and possibly aero bars since I also would like to do sprint distance tris.

If you have a better budget than I do you may also look cyclocross bicycles. Those come with some pretty cool feature I would love to have.

Ultimately the best bicycle for you is the one you are most comfortable on. Just because you are pedaling 2 times to your friends 1 doesn't exactly translate into more work. If you are comfy on the bicycle you have now I wouldn't worry about it.

Giant--yes, that's the other make that I forgot! I think for a decently good bike (new) I would be looking at about $1,000?
  • MayaLove1
    MayaLove1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love my specialized!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Giant--yes, that's the other make that I forgot! I think for a decently good bike (new) I would be looking at about $1,000?

Roughly yes. On the starter end for the bigger brands you will be looking between 700-1200. At the cycling shops they sometimes have "last years" models and older new ones that just never sold. So there's a possibility you could get your hands on a 1500 for that 1000 you are looking at. You just have to shop for it.

The other thing is you may find the model you LOVE and can't live without. You may find it on the internet for a considerable discount. I would love to have this one but just can't at the moment.

http://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/product/giant-defy-5-175218-1.htm
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar place a couple of months ago. I ended up grabbing a cyclocross bike (Cannondale CAADX). It was between that and a hybrid (Cannondale Quick). My needs were something "resembling" a road bike, but also able to handle groomed gravel trails and country roads. So no suspension, but slightly fatter tires than on a strict road bike.

It's hard to go wrong with name brand bikes these days. For $1000 you will get a very nice bike, whether it's a comfy roadster like a Synapse or a hybrid or a cyclocross.

Apologies for all the Cannondale models - it's what I love and ride - but don't take it as denigration of Specialized etc as they also make outstanding bikes. Most important thing is fit and comfort, and the only way to tell that is to visit the shops and test ride the various models.
  • soslowjim
    soslowjim Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too recommend that you go to a couple of local bike shops and see what they recommend in your price range. Then go and test ride as many bikes as you can. I know when I upgraded to my current road bike I tested about 6 bikes and they all felt about the same, and quite different from my old steel framed 10 speed from the 70's, until I got on to my Felt, and it just felt perfect!

For the longer distances a good bike fitting is very important, given the amount of time you'll be on the bike and how many times the pedals will go around even a small mis-adjustment can lead to an injury.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options

Roughly yes. On the starter end for the bigger brands you will be looking between 700-1200. At the cycling shops they sometimes have "last years" models and older new ones that just never sold. So there's a possibility you could get your hands on a 1500 for that 1000 you are looking at. You just have to shop for it.

The other thing is you may find the model you LOVE and can't live without. You may find it on the internet for a considerable discount. I would love to have this one but just can't at the moment.

http://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/product/giant-defy-5-175218-1.htm

What a beauty! With the aluxx aluminum frame it would be light but very strong.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I was in a similar place a couple of months ago. I ended up grabbing a cyclocross bike (Cannondale CAADX). It was between that and a hybrid (Cannondale Quick). My needs were something "resembling" a road bike, but also able to handle groomed gravel trails and country roads. So no suspension, but slightly fatter tires than on a strict road bike.

It's hard to go wrong with name brand bikes these days. For $1000 you will get a very nice bike, whether it's a comfy roadster like a Synapse or a hybrid or a cyclocross.

Apologies for all the Cannondale models - it's what I love and ride - but don't take it as denigration of Specialized etc as they also make outstanding bikes. Most important thing is fit and comfort, and the only way to tell that is to visit the shops and test ride the various models.

I hadn't considered a cyclocross bike. Would it be just as fast as a road bike? And no apologies needed; Cannondale is a very good make :)
    Thanks
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I too recommend that you go to a couple of local bike shops and see what they recommend in your price range. Then go and test ride as many bikes as you can. I know when I upgraded to my current road bike I tested about 6 bikes and they all felt about the same, and quite different from my old steel framed 10 speed from the 70's, until I got on to my Felt, and it just felt perfect!

For the longer distances a good bike fitting is very important, given the amount of time you'll be on the bike and how many times the pedals will go around even a small mis-adjustment can lead to an injury.

I have heard of Felt but will have to look into this brand. I just googled it and I see that there are a few dealers near me that carry them. I agree with the importance of bike fit. When I upped my mileage I had some problems initially with numbness in my fingers. It was quite alarming until I got it sorted out. Thanks!
  • tenatroy1
    Options
    Make sure to get a leather seat if you can afford it because when you break it in it conforms to your shape (100-200 miles). I would suggest a trek or cannondale if you want speed and a surly long haul if you want distance. Make sure you get a bike fit to you because if you don't no amount of gear will make it comfortable. I learned that the hard way. Ask tons of questions to make sure they know what they are doing and if your not comfortable just walk out because you don't want to end up getting a bike that you can't ride because it doesn't fit.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I would definitely check out Felt and Specialized.

Don't expect a ton of comfort from a road bike though. ;)
  • boyurboy
    boyurboy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Consider looking at touring/randonneuring bikes as well. The models that come to mind are heavier than a true road bike, but they will be durable, can take fenders and slightly wider tires (wider tires, generally = easier on your joints if the roads get bumpy). Also these types of bikes can fit racks and bags and such, so you can carry stuff with you on longer rides more easily.

Some bikes fit between categories, and might be suitable as well: the Raleigh Port Townsend is an example that sort of fits this mold.

And always buy from a local bike shop...they will help make sure you dont buy the wrong bike for your body.
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Nashbar, Performance, and REI all have decent "house brand" bikes that could save you a bit of money. I came in to recommend Specialized, though - their road bikes look like they've got a pretty good bang for the buck.

If you're willing to put some time & effort in and don't have $600 or more to spend on a new bike, a good-quality older road bike is a great alternative. I was riding my wife's Raleigh Technium for a while; it's a 12-speed, 700C wheel bike with 28mm tires on it and indexed shifters on the stem. They made them out of straight aluminum tubing epoxied (!) onto steel lugs. Light, fast, comfortable, and really soaks up the bumps with those big tires; also, I got way more compliments on that bike than I ever did on my Cannondale racing bike. You should be able to find a good 80's or 90's 12-speed on Craigslist for $100 - $200; budget another $150 or so for new handlebar tape, seat, and tires, and you should be good to go. After you've visited your friendly local bike shop, you should have a good idea of what size frame you're interested in.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options

My Giant Liv (women's bike) was roughly $800 bucks; however that didn't include a new saddle or pedals which I had to buy separately. But I will say it's one of the best bikes I've ever owned and I consider it an investment piece. It is so light. Like everyone else has said I'd go to a couple of different bike shops (the ones around me only carry 1 or 2 brands usually) and test ride.