Why do people weigh their food?

Options

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    So that you know how many calories to count. If 4oz of something is 100 calories and you don't weigh it, how would you know you didn't eat more or less, which would equal more or less calories?

This ^^^
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm in to see how many people are going to keep answering an answered question. 2 pages and counting...

I'd just like to know why the OP thought she could count calories without weighing.
    Ah now THIS is an interesting question.
    Because it's not intuitive that the measurements on the back of the package may not be accurate. If you want one half-cup serving of oatmeal, there's little reason to think that a scoop of oatmeal from a half cup measuring cup isn't right.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I only weigh my food when a serving size says "ounces". That's the only time I use a scale. :)

That will only last so long. :laugh:

You should weigh everything now. JS :bigsmile:
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    weigh it - eat it - log it.

That should be a bumper sticker.

Love this!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    cause they are silly?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm in to see how many people are going to keep answering an answered question. 2 pages and counting...

I'd just like to know why the OP thought she could count calories without weighing.
    Ah now THIS is an interesting question.
    Because it's not intuitive that the measurements on the back of the package may not be accurate. If you want one half-cup serving of oatmeal, there's little reason to think that a scoop of oatmeal from a half cup measuring cup isn't right.

I agree with this, but to not see the point in weighing anything? What about meats and produce? That one seems a little obvious to me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Yeah, me too. The question betrays an ignorance if something far more fundamental than calorie counting.

Could be worse-- I remember a thread where the OP said she wasn't going to weigh because different foods had different calories at the same weight. :huh:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Am I wrong?
    yes.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

You can count calories without weighing. It's all an estimate, even weighing.
    Could be worse-- I remember a thread where the OP said she wasn't going to weigh because different foods had different calories at the same weight. huh

That's actually true, to some extent. People think the databases are exact and gospel. They're average values based on whatever 'average' strawberries were burnt up to measure. Same as your HRM gives you average calories based on average humans, not your actual burn unique to you. No 4oz. of chicken is identical. But it doesn't matter because estimates are close enough. You can't burn your food up to measure the actual caloric content, then eat it.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

If everyone thought like you did, there would be a question and an answer and that's it. Fortunately, most people are not.
    Yes but after 5-6 people give the same answer common sense would dictate that this is the answer. Especially as this is not one where opinions differ.
    You really only need one right answer.

You should start your own thread about how people say the same thing over and over in a thread, when it's already been said. Let's see how far it goes. Plus, it's more courteous than messing up someone elses thread with your own totally off-topic question.
    I don't see how saying the reason I am posting in the thread is messing it up. Perhaps you should start YOUR own thread and let me be in this one for whatever reason I choose. MFP Police.
  • pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    Options
    I'll be the dissenter here. I approximate and don't weigh. I'm sure I'm off by a little bit. But I'm trying to learn how to do this on a long term basis and I don't see myself weighing food long term. I've only been using MFP for 6 weeks and so far so good.

Someone asked how do you do meat/produce without weighing? Most meat and produce is weighed when you purchase it at the store. For example, When I buy wild salmon, I ask for 1lb. I split this into 1/3 and 2/3 pieces. DH eats the bigger piece and I log the 1/3 lb. as 5.5 oz. Sure I'm eyeballing the 1/3&2/3 so I may be off by a little bit but I figure that will average out over time.
  • BondBomb
    Options

If everyone thought like you did, there would be a question and an answer and that's it. Fortunately, most people are not.
    Yes but after 5-6 people give the same answer common sense would dictate that this is the answer. Especially as this is not one where opinions differ.
    You really only need one right answer.

I (and I'm thinking others) took it as "Why do YOU weigh your food?" Hence, all the answers.
    Makes sense. I read it as her not understanding the purpose on weighing in general. I guess we won't know until she comes back! Now I am intrigued :)
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Yes, watch the youtube video!! It explains a big part as to why I weigh my food instead of measuring it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Also, what's wrong with being accurate? Gotta pay attention not only to WHAT goes in your body but HOW MUCH of it you intake.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I'll be the dissenter here. I approximate and don't weigh. I'm sure I'm off by a little bit. But I'm trying to learn how to do this on a long term basis and I don't see myself weighing food long term. I've only been using MFP for 6 weeks and so far so good.

Someone asked how do you do meat/produce without weighing? Most meat and produce is weighed when you purchase it at the store. For example, When I buy wild salmon, I ask for 1lb. I split this into 1/3 and 2/3 pieces. DH eats the bigger piece and I log the 1/3 lb. as 5.5 oz. Sure I'm eyeballing the 1/3&2/3 so I may be off by a little bit but I figure that will average out over time.

sometime just for poops n' giggles, you should approximate a portion of something sometime, and then get an accurate portion by weighing/measuring. it was VERY eye opening for me when i started weighing/measuring.

"oh THAT's what 4oz of steak looks like"

you may be better than i at eyeballing, but i know i speak for others when i say it was alarming how off i was.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

You can count calories without weighing. It's all an estimate, even weighing.
    Could be worse-- I remember a thread where the OP said she wasn't going to weigh because different foods had different calories at the same weight. huh

That's actually true, to some extent. People think the databases are exact and gospel. They're average values based on whatever 'average' strawberries were burnt up to measure. Same as your HRM gives you average calories based on average humans, not your actual burn unique to you. No 4oz. of chicken is identical. But it doesn't matter because estimates are close enough. You can't burn your food up to measure the actual caloric content, then eat it.

True, but she didn't mean comparing chicken to chicken or broccoli to broccoli. She meant there was no point because if she weighed out 4 oz of chicken and 4 oz of strawberries they would have different calorie counts. Ergo, no point to weighing.
  • BondBomb
    Options

sometime just for poops n' giggles, you should approximate a portion of something sometime, and then get an accurate portion by weighing/measuring. it was VERY eye opening for me when i started weighing/measuring.

"oh THAT's what 4oz of steak looks like"

you may be better than i at eyeballing, but i know i speak for others when i say it was alarming how off i was.
    The MFP Police will probably yell at me for this too but I love your username.

And I agree with your logic.