Run Tracking Devices

Options
I've been browsing the digital selection of pedometers/calorie counters/heart rate monitors devices out there and can't decide which one I want to invest in. I've heard one great reviews about the FitBit but nothing else really via word of mouth. If I'm going to invest in something that expensive, I need it be accurate and dependable. There is very little more frustrating about going out for a run and my phone not finding the gps or it dropping out during my run that allows RunKeeper to keep accurate track of my runs.

Does anyone out there have a device they just love? Why do you like it so much? What does it track?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex that I wear all day. It notices when I get off my but and walk or run, but without measuring your different stride lengths and entering them into the site it is off on distance. They are activity and step trackers, not really distance trackers.

My primary tracker for runs is my phone with gps and attached bluetooth HRM. There is a free android app called "GPS status" that can show if you're getting a fix and if its been a while it can download tools to jumpstart a fix if you haven't used the GPS in a while. Runkeeper allows you to build a route online and input your time after if you're just tracking time to cover the total distance, not splits over certain legs of the run.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner also and have used the Runkeeper app, but I've been getting frustrated with it and have been looking at GPS watches to replace it. My signal drops at times too with Runkeeper but I can't determine if it's the area or the phone itself. I've been looking at the Garmin GPS watches but have been a bit leary because of that last sentence. If I'm going to have the same issue with the gps dropping, do I want to fork out the money?

Fitbit, BodyMedia, Up or any of those won't help you though if you're looking for pace or distance. I use the BodyMedia core just track my steps and level of exercise through the course of the day but it has no HRM and, as I stated, no way to measure distance/pace.

Now, that I've written this I guess there's nothing more reliable than a pre-planned route and a stop watch haha!
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Garmin 610 right now. Tracks just about everything you could want (mileage, pace, cadence, elevation, heart rate, etc) Never had an issue with it losing it's GPS signal even while passing under bridges or in heavily treed areas. Accuracy is great. Easy to use, with its touchscreen (works even with gloves on). Also works in a complete downpour! I owned a Garmin 405cx prior to the 610 it was also a very good unit (the control bezel had an issue in wet weather though) The Garmin web site is also a huge plus, it records and keeps track of all your runs. Too many positives to list. Can be a little pricey but it all depends on what you want now and what you might want down the "road".
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have read more before I posted the first time. The new Garmins (Forerunner 220 and 620) have built in accelerometers that will track data whether you have a signal or not or if you're on an indoor track or treadmill (usually this requires a footpod). The 220 is obviously more affordable but it still clocks in at $249.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have read more before I posted the first time. The new Garmins (Forerunner 220 and 620) have built in accelerometers that will track data whether you have a signal or not or if you're on an indoor track or treadmill (usually this requires a footpod). The 220 is obviously more affordable but it still clocks in at $249.

One of my local running stores included the 220 and 620 in their latest email. I might have to take a look at them when I go for a packet pickup next week.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 610 also, and i have RunKeeper. As for as accuracy goes, they are pretty much on par with each other. I have my Garmin connect update my runs into Runkeeper's web site,since I was using RK 3 years longer then the Garmin. Strava is another good app for running, the free version, there is also a paid version. Timex also makes a good gps watch and it cost a bit less then the Garmin. The Timex uses Training Peaks to log your runs,Garmin uses Garmin Connect.and there is a Paid version and a free version of Training Peaks.Garmin Connect is free. After all the reviewing I did in June 2013 I went with the Garmin. Good luck.
  • soslowjim
    soslowjim Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I currently have a Garmin 310xt, not cheap but since I'm slow I needed the extended battery life for Ironman and double centuries. Depending on your needs I know folks from my club that are happy with the different Garmin and Polar models.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I just got the TomTom Runner GPS +HR

I'm liking it a _lot_ so far. Even calculates mileage on the treadmill surprisingly accurately.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/your-sports/running/tomtom-runner-gps-watch/dark-grey-heart-rate-monitor/index.jsp

Best Buy has the best price I've found ($189).
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use the RunKeeper app w/o any issues - and I have for probably 3-4 years. I switched after having the same problems you report with the MapMyRun app - it never found a GPS signal.

ETA: my coworker tried using the RunKeeper app - we had the same iPhones - and hers would drop out as well so she no longer uses it. I suspect it was the reliability of the location services/GPS on the device.

I use the RunKeeper app in conjunction with my Polar FT4 HRM.

For me I didn't need to know how many steps I took on my run (what the FitBit does) I wanted to know where my HR was and what my suggested cals burned were on that run. I'm intentionally not getting on the FitBit wagon because it doesn't suit my needs.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My wife got me a Garmin Forerunner 220 with the heart rate monitor for Christmas. I've only used it for 5 runs so far, but it's been good. Tracks distance, heart rate, pace, stride rate, etc. Battery life seems pretty good, as I've done 3 runs this week without having to recharge it, and still have about 50% battery on it.

I haven't tried downloading the data into Garmin's app yet, but you can access all the relevant stats on the watch. The iPhone app can bluetooth to the watch, but they haven't updated the android one yet.....

One really nice feature is that the display screens during the run are configurable, so you can choose what data you to display on 2 different screens, with 3 fields each. I can finally access all the info I want during the run!
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    Misread this and thought it said "rum tracking devices." Never mind...
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I just got the TomTom Runner GPS +HR

I'm liking it a _lot_ so far. Even calculates mileage on the treadmill surprisingly accurately.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/your-sports/running/tomtom-runner-gps-watch/dark-grey-heart-rate-monitor/index.jsp

Best Buy has the best price I've found ($189).

This one sounds nice!

If they have a purple one I'm in:wink:
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a "runner" ... I elliptical, jog/walk, bike, a lot of different things. I also have a HRM that I wear for specific workouts ... I like second opinions. I've found that the fitbit and HRM are really quite close at estimating calorie burn for walks/jogs/runs. The distance function on the fitbit ... that isn't as accurate, but then again I never really bothered to play with the stride length settings.

I know there are TONS of different tracking devices, so it probably depends on which stats are most important to you. Is it distance, heart rate, calorie burn. I know the Garmin can give you all three (and seems to have good reviews).

Unlike all the other devices, the Fitbit is meant to be worn all day, giving you feedback not only on your runs, but for everything else as well. I've also encountered the frustrations with other apps or devices of forgetting to turn them on/off, or them not starting up, or just being uncomfortable to carry/wear while workout out. Nothing beats the Fitbit for simple ease of use :) I'm a happy user of 3+ years!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    check out: dcrainmaker.com

I use a garmin 310xt. I found the cell phone based apps pretty unreliable.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My wife got me a Garmin Forerunner 220 with the heart rate monitor for Christmas. I've only used it for 5 runs so far, but it's been good. Tracks distance, heart rate, pace, stride rate, etc. Battery life seems pretty good, as I've done 3 runs this week without having to recharge it, and still have about 50% battery on it.

I haven't tried downloading the data into Garmin's app yet, but you can access all the relevant stats on the watch. The iPhone app can bluetooth to the watch, but they haven't updated the android one yet.....

One really nice feature is that the display screens during the run are configurable, so you can choose what data you to display on 2 different screens, with 3 fields each. I can finally access all the info I want during the run!

This one too!

Hmm...
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I kinda want a Magellan Echo. In blue. ($200 w/HR strap) It connects to smartphone for the GPS capability. (I'm a Strava user, so that's great for me!) I'm hoping the price comes down... http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/magellan-depth-review.html

FYI: The Garmin FR10 ($130?) and Garmin Forerunner 220 ($300?) comes in lovely purple/white combos!

Edit: Fixed model # typo.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just love? No. I use the Polar Personal Trainer with my RC3 GPS and other than some very minor sync and web site access issues it works pretty good. I've kept excel based diaries of all my running info dating back to 1991 and candidly those give me a ton of information in terms of my own comments, heart rate info, weather etc.

For the most part, GPS is really just an educated guess so I would not overpay for any of these (Garmin, Polar or whatever flavor you may use). The data is seriously flawed and after almost 10 years I don't see it getting any better. I rarely use GPS at all any more since most of my courses in town have been measured and I'm basically comfortable with the distances and my standard checkpoints.

I paid something like $200 for my Polar as the RC3 was being updated with the more expensive RC5. I'm not sure when it comes time for something else whether I would spend any more than what I did previously.