Is it possible to feel light as a feather?

Options
turtleball
turtleball Posts: 217 Member
I am dropping the pounds and my body is getting stronger (I am still in the obese part) but will I get to the point of feeling light as a feather? Do you?

Replies

• mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Nobody will ever know unless we give a feather a central nervous system and proceed to invent a machine with the function of swapping perceptions
  • turtleball
    Options
    Nobody will ever know unless we give a feather a central nervous system and proceed to invent a machine with the function of swapping perceptions

/sigh
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Idk, but it is definitely possible to feel stiff as a board. :laugh:
  • ksfit
    ksfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    lol@stiff as a board

unfortunately, I agree

i'm hoping that mindfully tracking everything - the good, the bad and the ugly - will lead to weight loss and my stiffness will subside maybe even vanish!
  • turtleball
    Options
    lol@stiff as a board

unfortunately, I agree

i'm hoping that mindfully tracking everything - the good, the bad and the ugly - will lead to weight loss and my stiffness will subside maybe even vanish!

stiff? so you mean I wont feel like a ballerina?
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I think wanting to feel 'light as a feather' is very subjective and could possibly lead to long-term motivational issues and disappointment. You will more than likely feel lighter. Goodness knows I do - I can TELL the difference between my starting weight of 291 and my current weight of 199. It's not JUST being in better shape from exercising more, though that certainly helps; it's that being almost 100 pounds lighter means it's just flat out easier to move. So yeah, you'll feel lighter. Will it ever be 'light as a feather'? Who the heck knows?! And don't worry about it. Get healthy. The rest will come.

Even at 5'1", 115 pounds I didn't feel 'light as a feather' because i thought I was fat. If I were that now, 20+ years later, with a lifetime more of wisdom and experience, I would feel more energetic, bouncy, easier to move. I see very toned, in shape people walking about, and you can almost see how easy moving is for them, how they have a spring to their step I don't have -- but that's probably because I have the perspective of being really overweight and knowing how hard it is to move carrying almost 300 pounds. They may not realize it at all.

Measure to track inches lost, weigh to track pounds lost, and use other metrics too -- such as how you feel (healthier, more energy, etc), how your clothes fit (getting looser), body fat percentage (if you have the ability to get an accurate one done), etc. Don't focus just on one metric but on all these different ones. How you feel will always be subjective, but don't make it MORE so by adding weird qualifiers like 'light as a feather' to it, or else you will set yourself up for disappointment. Do you feel better, more energy, healthier? Are those feelings backed up by actions such as being able to walk farther, do more, etc? Then voila, you're probably well on the road to sexy pants.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    If light as a feather means no huge amounts of tissue will jiggle when I hop around/run or I won't feel like a tonne of stone when getting up from sitting on the floor, then I definitely hope that feeling exists.
  • turtleball
    Options
    ty heathy
  • turtleball
    Options
    If light as a feather means no huge amounts of tissue will jiggle when I hop around/run or I won't feel like a tonne of stone when getting up from sitting on the floor, then I definitely hope that feeling exists.

LOL ikr! I felt like a rolling boulder when I was running.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you get down to weighing a couple ounces, then sure.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

/sigh

Ask questions....
  • AnotherOrangeCat
    Options
    Recipe for feeling light as a feather: :smile:

1. Go downhill skiing. Spend several hours going up and down mountains with several pounds of rigid plastic boot strapped tightly to each of your feet. For extra bonus - rent the boots, don't buy your own, expensive fancy ones. If you can't ski - even better, more time walking in plastic boots. Dress warmly, it's cold there.

2. Get to lodge, frozen, tired and high on endorphins. Take off the jacket and boots. Take the first few steps. You will feel like you are not touching the ground. Regardless of your actual body mass. :flowerforyou:

Bonus: Skiing is apparently a great calorie burner. I'm still terrified of it - but taking off the boots feels sooooo good.
  • mortuseon
    Options
    Get someone to do that thing when they hold your arms by your sides as you try to extend them horizontally and then have them let go = instant floaty feeling
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I'll add to AnotherOrange's list:
    3. Swim
    4. Jump from at least 3 m into water.
  • mortuseon
    Options
    Run for a while on a treadmill incline and then step off it to walk normally
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options

1. Go downhill skiing. Spend several hours going up and down mountains with several pounds of rigid plastic boot strapped tightly to each of your feet. For extra bonus - rent the boots, don't buy your own, expensive fancy ones. If you can't ski - even better, more time walking in plastic boots. Dress warmly, it's cold there.

2. Get to lodge, frozen, tired and high on endorphins. Take off the jacket and boots. Take the first few steps. You will feel like you are not touching the ground. Regardless of your actual body mass. :flowerforyou:

Bonus: Skiing is apparently a great calorie burner. I'm still terrified of it - but taking off the boots feels sooooo good.

ROFL this is SO true. I miss skiing so much! It's too expensive, and I haven't done it in 20 years, but once upon a time, I was freaking awesome at it. Even then, NOTHING felt as good as the end of the day and taking those gd boots off. I had top of the line, awesome boots that felt great for skiing and all that, but honestly, taking them off you suddenly realize 'oh...yeah, baby, that's what my feet feel like.'
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Run for a while on a treadmill incline and then step off it to walk normally
    Oooh, take the elevator down and wait for that first stage when it falls quicker than you.
  • turtleball
    Options

ROFL this is SO true. I miss skiing so much! It's too expensive, and I haven't done it in 20 years, but once upon a time, I was freaking awesome at it. Even then, NOTHING felt as good as the end of the day and taking those gd boots off. I had top of the line, awesome boots that felt great for skiing and all that, but honestly, taking them off you suddenly realize 'oh...yeah, baby, that's what my feet feel like.'

I never even seen snow in RL before :/
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Idk, but it is definitely possible to feel stiff as a board. :laugh:

This made me think of The Craft.

the-craft-pic.jpg
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    not if youre as stiff as a board :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!