The Volume of Fat

I was curious to know the volume of fat per pound, so I did the math and thought I'd share what I found:

1 lb of fat is 2.130 cups, or .484 litres
1 gallon(US) of fat weighs 7.512 lbs, or 3.407 kilos
10 lbs of fat is 1.331 gallons(US), or 6.050 litres
1 litre of fat weighs .900 kilos, or 1.984 lbs
1 kilo of fat is 1.111 litres
1 stone of fat is 7.056 litres

Now you can visualize how far you've come and/or what you stand to lose.

Replies

• mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    So, is this triacylglycerol, or...?
  • Olblueiiii
    Olblueiiii Posts: 43 Member
    This is adipose tissue, or body fat.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    That means in order to make myself as heavy as I used to be by carrying gallons of water up Stone Mountain, I would have to strap 13 gallons to my back and run that hike. Damn that was a hefty amount to haul up there back then when you put it in these terms.
  • Olblueiiii
    That means in order to make myself as heavy as I used to be by carrying gallons of water up Stone Mountain, I would have to strap 13 gallons to my back and run that hike. Damn that was a hefty amount to haul up there back then when you put it in these terms.

Water weighs a little more per gallon than fat so it would be 12 gallons of water, but YES! What wonderful success you've had! You're an inspiration!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    What do you mean by "fat"? There is a difference between the density of adipose tissue (which is mostly fat) and, say, butter or olive oil (which are nothing but fat).
    For the six cadavers, whole body adipose tissue density ranged from 0.925-0.970 g/ml.
    The density of butter is 0.911 g/ml (56.9 lb/ft3).

The density of olive oil can be as low as 0.800 g/ml.
  • Olblueiiii
    What do you mean by "fat"? There is a difference between the density of adipose tissue (which is mostly fat) and, say, butter or olive oil (which are nothing but fat).
    For the six cadavers, whole body adipose tissue density ranged from 0.925-0.970 g/ml.
    The density of butter is 0.911 g/ml (56.9 lb/ft3).

The density of olive oil can be as low as 0.800 g/ml.
    The numbers are based on a weight of .9 g/ml for adipose tissue, or body fat.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    WOW
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member

Water weighs a little more per gallon than fat so it would be 12 gallons of water, but YES! What wonderful success you've had! You're an inspiration!
    b
    how can a gallon of water weigh more than a gallon of fat?
    surely a gallon is a gallon?!
  • DrFlave
    DrFlave Posts: 59 Member

Water is more dense, so of course a given volume of water will weigh more than the same volume of fat. A gallon is not a unit of mass.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    [quote/]
    [quote/]

It's because a gallon is a volume measurement and not a weight measurement.