Transitioning Anxiety Meds...HELP!!

Options
Hi guys, I hope everyone is having a super morning. I just had a quick post to see if someone else out there feels what I'm going through and has some suggestions.

I have taken 25mg of Zoloft for about 5 years now. Recently, I told my doctor that I thought I needed something less geared towards anxiety and more for overall mental health wellbeing. She agreed (she's amazing and knows all my anxiety related history) and suggested I try Cymbalta.

Right now I cut my Zoloft to 12.5 mg and taking 30mg of Cymbalta. I will do this for this entire week. Then I will take the 30mg Cymbalta by itself for a week. Finally I'll take 60mg of Cymbalta where I'll settle and stay.

My doctor told me these transition weeks would be rough, but I totally underestimated her. I'm very nauseated, have headaches, tingling hands, extreme fatigue, loss of appetite, etc. While my doctor told me all these things are normal and expected, she didn't give me much input on any remedies other than the usual drink lots of water, get lots of rest.

Any suggestions on how you all have coped with similar transitions. Thanks guys! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• JohnMaile
    Options
    I have certainly gone through all sorts of medications for all sorts of mental health reasons. I have not taken Cymbalta but it looks like it achieves a similar neurochemical affect to what I'm taking. I'm not sure if there's anything specific you can do to help with the side affects you're experiencing except to know that they will pass. I have gone down the same road many times, but in the end, hopefully it will be worth it!! Good luck and stay strong!
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have been on Zoloft and switched over to Cymbalta about 5 years ago.

I am getting off of Cymbalta right now. My insurance has changed and I can no longer afford to pay for it.

Cymbalta is a wonderful drug but the side effects of withdrawl are TERRIBLE.

I didn't have any issues with getting off of Zoloft but share your pain as I have had those same symtoms with Paxil and Cymbalta withdrawl.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My doc put me on Cymbalta because I have major irritability issues. Chronically deficient in multiple neurotransmitters. Not classically "depressed", however. When i went on it I went completely insane. I am one of those people that can sue for the effect it had on me. I felt psychotic and wanted to kill myself. I put myself in the hospital 6 times between 2007-2008. All the while my doc kept telling me that I was probably depressed and the Cymbalta should help. I finally took myself offf of it, went through zero withdrawals, and in two weeks felt as though a fog had been lifted from over me. Never in my life had I wanted to hurt myself. Never had I been sad. Not until I went on that damn drug that is. Everyone is different and react to different drugs in a different manner. Just be careful and trust your feelings. If you start to feel a way you didn't prior to starting the medication (negative feelings) please talk to your doctor about this. I was very close to not being on this earth anymore and that scares me to think about more than I can explain. Good luck to you hun!!!
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback!

*Ashlee - so far mentally I feel good. I feel more focused and less irritable. I am suffering more biological. Just the overall side effects I guess. But you are right, my mom had a similar experience as you did with Wellbutrin (sp?) and had to get off of it immediately! So it is good to be careful and trust your instincts!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback!

*Ashlee - so far mentally I feel good. I feel more focused and less irritable. I am suffering more biological. Just the overall side effects I guess. But you are right, my mom had a similar experience as you did with Wellbutrin (sp?) and had to get off of it immediately! So it is good to be careful and trust your instincts!

That's wonderful! I hope it really helps you. I am drug (legal) free now and have been working extremely hard on managing my irritability on my own. It's tough and definitely takes a strong support system. If I didn't have the people in my life that I do I don't think that I could do it. Again, good luck and God bless!
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Try working out more, eating chocolate, turkey, and milk (not necessarily together). These things all raise your serotonin levels and that might help with the transfer. (But, if any anti-meds people are reading this, these things do NOT replace medication.)
  • ecomod
    Options
    I quit my SNRI cold turkey. They recommend dosing down but I am just stating this because I wanted to share with you that it is very rough in the beginning and there isn't much scientific information out there that tells you how long you will be feeling terrible. I felt really bad physically and mentally for about a week and it slowly tapered down after that. I am prescription drug free for about 10 months and feel great after a bout with postpartum depression.

I know your situation is different but I wanted to let you know that the "discontinuation syndrome" side effects will diminish as your neurotransmitters figure out what is going on! Best of luck and don't let the bad days keep you down!