What's Your Average Burn

Options
2»

Replies

• coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Fascinating! I always thought my burns were low. Guess not :D

All Polar HRM; Running about 500-550 an hour, Stationary bike HIIT 200-250 per 20 mins, lifting about 100-130 per 30 mins, Jillian Michaels DVDs approx 220-250 per 30 mins.
    I'm yet to brave the HRM to swimming, and I'll be testing it at boxing on Tuesday!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You probably think they are low cause you see others in your newsfeed burning 680 calories doing 30 minutes of walking....lol. That's the MFP inflation for ya :)

In reality, no one really knows what they are actually burning without massive testing. It's all just estimates. HRMs aren't all that accurate, but they are as good as the average person needs.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I still only eat a small portion back just in case; my loss is slloowww- I have no intention of making it worse haha
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my average workouts are 400-450 calories burned for 60 minutes. that's also subtracting the approx 125 calories i'd be burning anyway by virtue of being alive, walking and talking
  • _Skye_
    _Skye_ Posts: 6
    Options
    I burn about 1200 also for 90 minutes of Inline speed practice and drills lol
  • Justatypicalfemale
    Options
    Every time I go to the gym, I try to stay for at least an hour on the cross trainers which usually burns about 500 calories. Wish I could be motivated enough to work out harder! Definitely wish I could be burning at least 1000 calories, but hopefully every little counts!
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I refuse to leave the gym unless I've done a minimum of 500 ( not on class days- they're usually a little lower as they're yoga based, still not bad). I average for my weight training and minimal cardio that I do between 500 and 700. that involves 20-25mins cardio machines, resistance machines and free weights. I get the reading from my hrm so it's as accurate as can possibly be.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    My average burn is probably in the 1,000-1,500 cals range. My main cardio workout is high-incline (e.g. 10-15%) treadmill and I'll go anywhere from 1-4 hours (have homemade treadmill desk; so am doing other stuff too). If I stay at 80-85% MaxHR (low 150's BPM) my burn rate is 15-17 cals/min, so I can get around 1,000 cals per hour.

I do not wear my HRM for strength training (45-90 min) or stair climbing (I work in a skyscraper; goal is to ascend 75 floors/day).

Interestingly enough, my highest record single burn came from doing 6 straight hours (zero breaks) of yard work (cleaning my swimming pool) last summer. My HRM recorded over 4,500 cals!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    1000 and more a day 7 days a week
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bumpers :)
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    My heart rate monitor on average reads around 500-550 calories in a 60min workout. I typically do 30min of weight training, and approx. 30min of some sort of cardio. These days I've been doing a lot of skipping rope intervals and that seems to burn most calories for me.
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It would take me 2.5 hours of running at 6.5 mph for me to burn 1000 calories. That definitely doesn't happen on a daily basis. I typically run or cycle for an hour per day, averaging a calorie burn of between 400-450 calories based on my heart rate monitor (which considers my age, height, weight, etc).
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    1,000 - 1,200/day? WOW! I tip my metaphorical hat to you.

My goal is consistency. I strive to get 6 days a week of at least 300/day. I usually end up between 2,000 - 2,500 for the week.

Keep burning a path for us!

Best to all!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough, my highest record single burn came from doing 6 straight hours (zero breaks) of yard work (cleaning my swimming pool) last summer. My HRM recorded over 4,500 cals!

I laughed. Is that the number MFP gave you?
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have tracked my cardio workouts using a Polar HRM since 8-22-11. In that time frame my average cardio workout lasts 37 minutes and burns 534 calories. I workout 4 days a week and alternate between steady state cardio one week and HIIT the next. My cardio workouts can be on an elliptical, arc trainer, recumbent bike, spin bike, stair stepper or tread mill. The most I ever burned according to my HRM was 4,492 calories on a 3.5 hour 36.5 mile bike ride over what felt to me like fairly hilly terrain.