Would this work? Dieting Question...

Options
2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    BMR - basal metabolic rate. This is the amount they would feed you if you were in a coma.

TDEE - total daily energy expenditure. This is all the energy you need in a day for all of your activity including working out. Also known as "maintenance calories". You would neither gain nor lose eating this much.

A typical calorie goal for weight loss is TDEE - 20% but if you are close to your goal weight, then it should be less, 15% or 10% as you get closer to goal weight.

There are many online calculators for TDEE, this is a good one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Now, MFP is not a TDEE calculator, it estimates your calories for BMR and your daily life *not including exercise*. When you exercise, then you need to eat more food, and it adds those calories to your daily goal.

A properly set MFP + exercise goal should be somewhere around the same ballpark as a properly set TDEE -% goal.

Did you say you only need to lose about 10 more pounds? 1800 may be too few calories for you, or maybe not.

Anyway, since TDEE is the number where you would maintain weight, if you are eating less than this you will lose weight.

Appreciate it!!! So i used a calculator....it says my BMR is 1823 Calories/day. Then it says my total calories burned with a moderate activity level (desk job but go to gym 5 times a week or more) is 2826 calories a day.

So based on what I am currently doing, am I on a good track?

Did you choose 10% deficit? What did it tell you for a calorie goal?

You should probably be eating in the 2300-2500 calorie range. 1800 is too low when you are only 10 pounds from goal.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    BMR - basal metabolic rate. This is the amount they would feed you if you were in a coma.

TDEE - total daily energy expenditure. This is all the energy you need in a day for all of your activity including working out. Also known as "maintenance calories". You would neither gain nor lose eating this much.

A typical calorie goal for weight loss is TDEE - 20% but if you are close to your goal weight, then it should be less, 15% or 10% as you get closer to goal weight.

There are many online calculators for TDEE, this is a good one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Now, MFP is not a TDEE calculator, it estimates your calories for BMR and your daily life *not including exercise*. When you exercise, then you need to eat more food, and it adds those calories to your daily goal.

A properly set MFP + exercise goal should be somewhere around the same ballpark as a properly set TDEE -% goal.

Did you say you only need to lose about 10 more pounds? 1800 may be too few calories for you, or maybe not.

Anyway, since TDEE is the number where you would maintain weight, if you are eating less than this you will lose weight.

Appreciate it!!! So i used a calculator....it says my BMR is 1823 Calories/day. Then it says my total calories burned with a moderate activity level (desk job but go to gym 5 times a week or more) is 2826 calories a day.

You should probably be eating in the 2300-2500 calorie range. 1800 is too low when you are only 10 pounds from goal.

1800 during the week *may* be okay depending on how much over he goes on the weekends. If the net for the week comes out in the 23-2500 daily avg then it's okay. I eat anywhere from 1000-2000 on a daily basis but my daily average for each week ends up right in the middle, which is perfect for me.
  • deksgrl
    Options

1800 during the week *may* be okay depending on how much over he goes on the weekends. If the net for the week comes out in the 23-2500 daily avg then it's okay. I eat anywhere from 1000-2000 on a daily basis but my daily average for each week ends up right in the middle, which is perfect for me.

Correct, that is why I urged him to run his own numbers in an earlier post.
  • bgar1585
    Options
    So in theory, if my TDEE is 2800, I can eat 2300 calories a day and lose a pound a week? (500 calorie deficit * 7 days=3500 cals).

Is this correct?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    So in theory, if my TDEE is 2800, I can eat 2300 calories a day and lose a pound a week? (500 calorie deficit * 7 days=3500 cals).

Is this correct?

Yes, that math is correct. However since you are 10 pounds or less from goal, you might not lose that quickly. The last 10 pounds is the slowest. Choosing half a pound a week is better, but if you do not weigh/measure everything that goes in your mouth I suppose shooting for 1 pound wouldn't be a bad idea to account for inaccuracies in logging.