Morning exercisers more fit than evening?

Options

Replies

• KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Apparently there was some confusion over my previous post! I simply meant you will see a higher percentage of dedicated fit people in the am than the pm! When I was working out in the gym regularly there were the same group of 15 of us there every morning at the same time! If I happened to go after work it was never the same crowd day to day! If something is important to you, you make it a priority, hence why I run before work! I didn't say that people who workout after work were lazy or unfit! And I take offense to the people putting words in my mouth! In January you will see the gym full of resoultioners at the prime 5-8pm hours, however it's still the same 15 regulars at 5 am!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I don't think when you work out is any correlation as to how fat/thin you are.

I make every effort to get up early in the morning to workout. Sometimes I can do it 5 days in a row. Other times I do it 3. Sometimes none. The days that I don't make it early, yes, sometimes work gets in the way and I don't make it but if I know a head of time that I'm not going to be able to make it to the gym (I work for myself from home and sometimes I just can't take the time to get in the car and drive the 25 minutes to the gym) then I make the effort to do something later on in the afternoon/early evening like a DVD or run on the treadmill. Most times I have a specific time that I am going to go to the gym and I make darn sure that I make it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    People who workout at a time that fits their lifestyle the best are more fit than those who try to workout at a specific time thinking it will give them an edge.

I workout on my lunch hour because it is when I can fit it in. If I had to wake up at 4am to workout I would quit after a few days.

NOnono! You can't do that. Morning and evening are the dividing line between dedicated people. You can only choose one of those or you throw the whole thing out of whack! These people have worked hard to corral everyone into comfortable boxes that enable them to relate to the world. You can't take that away from them, unless you're some kinda schadenfreude obsessed sadist.

Now, as to the op, my opinion on the issue...
    Tony-Stark-Eyeroll.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Apparently there was some confusion over my previous post! I simply meant you will see a higher percentage of dedicated fit people in the am than the pm! When I was working out in the gym regularly there were the same group of 15 of us there every morning at the same time! If I happened to go after work it was never the same crowd day to day! If something is important to you, you make it a priority, hence why I run before work! I didn't say that people who workout after work were lazy or unfit! And I take offense to the people putting words in my mouth! In January you will see the gym full of resoultioners at the prime 5-8pm hours, however it's still the same 15 regulars at 5 am!

You say "I didn't say that people who workout after work were lazy or unfit!" but the sentence before that you say "If something is important to you, you make it a priority, hence why I run before work! "
    Whether you mean it or not, it does sound like you are implying that those who place a high priority on fitness workout first thing in the day. There are many of us that don't and fitness is still a top priority.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Kristi, nobody put those words in your mouth but you. A specification was clearly in order, which you did. I hope you see how it was perceived at first.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Ah. Another person desperately trying to prove her dedication by pushing some strange "priority" that doesn't matter. I put this in the same category as "I drink my 8 glasses of water a day" . . .
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    This is just another knock to my self esteem.........I work out in the middle of the day. I am such a misfit.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I work out at 10pm, after work.

That must be why I am still fat.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am not going to comment further aside from the fact that I work all day and had to treat my patients instead of "clarifying" my post! She simply asked if Zumba in the evening was full of less fit people in the evening, and I believe in January especially, you will see more people just starting their exercise and fitness journeys after work hours than before. I never once said that working out in the evenings negated the morning workouts, which people did say that I said!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yeah but... Zumba.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Wow, all the stupidest things I've seen this week ended up in one thread.
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There is no difference between exercising in the morning or evening.

I would say its just demographics.

I agree. Exercising is exercising. It has nothing to do with commitment.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    By the end of the day, my gym is like a fantasy videogame, where if you want do to a set of squats, you have to go on the epic quest to find the four magical pieces of equipment to bring home and save your village from the deadly curse of No Squats.

So yeah, I like going in the morning.

This made me laugh. :laugh:
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I tried workout out in the morning and I can't do it. The only exercise I can do in the morning is either walk or bike to work. It must be a mental thing. I'm ok to workout beginning at 8:30am but that's when I start work. I usually workout at my lunch and maybe after work.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I work out at lunch. Maybe I am wishy-washy with my commitment because of when I work out.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I work out both in the morning AND in the evening.

I take Zumba classes and lift weights.

Commitment doesn't care what time of day it is.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    "The thinking is that they get their exercise in before other time pressures interfere," Bryant says. "I usually exercise at 6 a.m., because no matter how well-intentioned I am, if I don't exercise in the morning, other things will squeeze it out."

If you were truly dedicated, you wouldn't let other "time pressures" interfere with your workouts later in the day, now would you?

shannon5.gif
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I exercise at night because that's the best chance I have of the kids staying asleep so I can complete the whole workout. Early mornings in my house are a crapshoot. I guess I should just leave them to scream in their beds for an hour while I exercise and shower. The neighbors will probably call child services, but I'll just tell the social worker that she would understand if she was super-dedicated and made her health a priority.