Question for the those who have lost over 60lbs

Options
How long did it take for you to lose your 60+lbs?

My goal is to lose AT LEAST 60lbs by June 2014. I workout at least 60 minutes a day, 6 days a week. Drink at least a gallon of water a day, and I eat between 900 and 1300 calories a day.

What do you think guys? I would have to lose an average of 3lbs a week. I'm 5'6 and 261lbs.

Replies

• azdeha
    azdeha Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs in just over 2 years mainly because I'm a bit rubbish at following my nutrition plan and I hit a lot of plateaus, but I've had friends do in 6 months. Granted they've started putting it back on now, whereas I haven't but that's probably more to do with the holidays than anything else.

2 to 3lbs a week is a perfectly safe amount to lose, any faster and there's a danger of loose skin.

Good luck
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    900.. that's not enough calories even 1300 isn't.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I had a lot more to lose than you do, however I lost 70 pounds in 4 months but I have no idea what my calorie intake was, that was before I began logging. But I will tell you 900 calories is so low for me personally I simply can't live off of that or at least not for long. I will say everything after 70 was much slower to come off for me. Understand everyone is different
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I recently reset my ticker, but total I have lost 114 lbs .
    It took me over a year to lose that much weight. Im not sure if you could lose 60 lbs by june unless you are on a super restrictive diet and working out intensely which never works out in the long term... I would Up your calorie intake and throw on a power Yoga with that Cardio , and eat a clean diet full of vegetables, whole grains and fresh fruit.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It took me 8 months to lose 60 pounds. I started at 290 pounds, 5'7 tall. I exercised 5-6 days a week for 1 hour at a time (cardio and strength training) and ate anywhere between 1700-2200 calories.

Honestly, 3 pounds a week is a tall order. It may come off that fast at first, but after a month or so it tapers off dramatically. I mean, it can be done but you would have to restrict badly and under eat which is not good for you. It came off fast for me the first couple months, then I was losing anywhere from half a pound to 2 pounds a week. You go into this thinking the weight is going to just melt off but the reality is weight loss is hard. There will be some weeks you lose nothing at all. I wouldn't recommend time limits and deadlines. Weight loss is not linear. Have patience, eat enough calories and don't give up when it gets hard.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more than 900-1300 calories with as much as you are working out. Mine took 3 years, but I didn't lose anything the first year because I would eat 1200 calories and lose control then binge and undo all my hard work.
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to lose 20lbs by June and in my opinion, that's pushing myself pretty hard. Not saying 60lbs is impossible, but it would be rigorous.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    It took me 10.5 months to lose 60 pounds at 1200 calories a day. However, I am 5'4" so you might drop the pounds faster at your height and that large of a calorie deficit. I'm at 1450 now so my deficit was 250 calories a day while losing the first 60 pounds and I suspect yours is much larger. Hope this helps.
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It has taken me a year to lose 150 lbs. The first part of the year it was tough from a diet standpoint but the diet got easier the exercising remained tough. I lost a lot at first then it tapered off to about 2 lbs a week sometimes a little less. The main thing is to stick with it even if it doesn't seem like you are losing anything.

Exercise increases muscle and muscle weighs more but it also burns more calories just make sure you eat enough to sustain your overall health and keep your muscles intact with plenty of protein. In the long run you will lose the weight it just takes persistence and patience.

Hang in there it will happen.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Probably in about 1 year and a few months for me.. I ate around 1700 - 1800 a day and started at 254lb 5'6. Only exercise was walking.
  • CassiLyn6626
    CassiLyn6626 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know 900-1300 is under what I'm supposed to have. I see my doctor once a week, so technically I'm under a physicians care. Thank you guys for your concern though. I was just wondering how long it took others to lose their weight. If I don't lose 60lbs by June it's not the end of the world for me. Was only curious :)
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It took me around 6 months to lose 60 lbs, but I was well over 100 lbs overweight at that point, and the weight initially came off pretty easily. I was (and still am) eating 1600 calories a day, although some days I don't take in that much. I walk as much as I can during the work week although right now it's only about a mile at night 3-4 nights a week, and then 3-4 miles on Saturdays and Sundays. I do push-ups, squats, and planks when I can't get outside (up to 60 seconds on the planks). I do know that if I eat too few calories too many days in a row, I literally crave food and it's way too easy for me to overeat when that happens.

3 lbs a week may be okay for someone who has a considerable amount of weight to lose in the beginning of their diet....1-2 a week seems like it would be more sensible in terms of not depriving yourself so much that you're miserable or can't maintain the habit. Then again, everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another.

Good luck with whatever method you choose. Just be fair to yourself and be healthy.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I lost 60+ pounds in 2012, averaging a NET of around 1800-2000 calories (gross intake 2400-3000, I was nursing, lifting and doing some cardio). I lost at an average rate of a pound every 4 days.
  • wnlbutterfly
    wnlbutterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think that is asking a little too much from your body. You can hit a plateau that you have no control over no matter what you eat or how much you exercise. Just do your best and see what happens.
  • blinker86
    blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 271, and I lost my first 60 pounds in exactly 6 months. I ate no less than 1300 calories. I exercised approximately 5 times per week at a light to moderate intensity for 30-45 minutes on average. I ate back at least half my exercise calories. IMO, there's no need to lower your calorie intake so drastically. Is is possible to lose that much in that amount of time? Yes, but the key is figuring out what works for you and your body.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I started in July, and I'm down 59 pounds now (well, 60 according to the new scale I got today). I did it on 1200 calories a day. I eat my exercise calories, but I adjust them as I enter them to approximate net calories burned and avoid overcounting. I will say that my loss has slowed the last few weeks, and I expect it to continue to slow as I approach my goal. That might happen earlier for you. I don't think you should go below 1200 net calories. There's just too much that can go wrong there physically and mentally. And what the rush? What's happening in June that would be so much worse if you were only 40 or 50 pounds lighter then? Deadlines like that are stressful, and I don't think they serve much purpose in most cases.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I started at an all time weight high of 320 lbs, on a 5' 10" and some change, medium male frame.

I lost the first 50 lbs or so in about 7 months or so, low carbing.

I maintained for a good year and a half, fluctuating back and forth between about 10 lbs in both directions.

I recommitted to losing weight starting at the top of last summer after I saw the weight creeping back up. I switched over to intermittent fasting. I lost 60 lbs in about 4 months.

I don't count calories, so I couldn't say.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the three-toed sloth of the thread. I lost over 120 lbs, but it took me nearly 3 years (about 35 lb/year). My losses slowed down as I got closer to my end weight (5'5" woman, went from 265 > 145). I didn't truly diet, I just cut out the junk and made a pledge to eat healthier and exercise regularly. That was almost 10 years ago now. Over the years, I've gained about 35 lbs back. I'm living proof that it's a lot harder to maintain than to lose. It's easy to coast, lose focus, use things as excuses... I didn't gain it back overnight, so I don't expect it to come off overnight either. So, I'm returning to my original game plan.
  • ACento
    ACento Posts: 1
    Options
    I have lost 60 pounds too but I took nine months to do it. I STRONGLY advise against losing that much so quickly by such a serious calorie restriction. I am no expert, but from what I understand, the body adapts the the calorie restriction and you will NEVER be able to go back to what you consider a "normal" intake. Something that is a few hundred calories below what it takes to sustain the body without moving on more than a "quick start" basis is a seriously bad decision in my opinion - especially if you are doing that much exercise. The result will be the opposite of what you are trying to achieve. You will put your body in stress mode. take your time and do it right. Reduce intake to something more reasonable - 1300 to 1500 cals, then gradually increase activity level. Good luck!!!! I've kept my weight off for more than a year now and each quarter, I add a bit more variety and intensity to my work out. I am 60 years old but look and feel like I'm 40.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    battling food addiction and pregnancy have made it slower, but if I can get through a binge that's big success to me