Struggling with this and depression..

Options
Hi..

Seriously debated putting this up but would be good to know if there are others here who are in the same boat. I was diagnosed with depression before christmas, yet again and am also receiving ongoing help with it, been like this for about 15 years. I am just finding some days so difficult, the thing is the tablets Im on don't help as they give me an increased appetite. How do some of you cope with the comfort eating cravings? I am getting a lot of support from people on here but I still struggle. What I have done all my life is reach for food to help ease the feelings of being low. I want change but its hard. Not sure what Im after putting this here but just needed to say it out loud...

Replies

• soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hey there. So sorry you are dealing with depression. I also deal with it, and I take meds, which help. I find that the meds tend to make me a bit apathetic, so I don't always care about eating healthy and exercising. The best thing for me, is to suck it up, and just take action, and DO what I need to do, to reach my goals. My goals are mental and physical health. I do not set specific number weight loss goals. That being said, I don't try to bargain or negotiate with the part of my mind that tell me to be lazy or unmotivated. I also try not to label myself "an emotional eater," because it only gives me an excuse to eat amounts of food that aren't healthy for my body and mind. I am a firm believer in the idea that the reasons for eating are hunger and pleasure. Food should not be a way to self-medicate. It is definitely hard to go through depression and anxiety (I struggle BIG TIME with anxiety), but I also have a history with binge eating, and I have to constantly tell myself "there is never ever an excuse to binge." It helps me to move forward, instead of staying stuck.
  • karenowen60
    karenowen60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I too have been diagnosed with clinical depression, the first time ever I have had it and I don't really like it all. I have been on several different meds and all that does is make the condition far worse. I am trying to turn it around now by changing diet, getting out & about doing things for me and having acupuncture. As I can't take the meds, I have no choice but to try to do it other ways and by logging on here everyday, exercising, getting out & about meeting people, it is helping I think. At first it was hard to make that first step, but now I have done it, I am really enjoying meeting new people and playing my sport etc. Feel free to add me if you like and we can support each other on the journey.
    You have probably put it out there so you can get the support and motivation you need.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Run, lift, get out and embrace life
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I suffered with depression for a number of years.
    As much as I resisted the advice, when I finally took it, it truly helped change my life!
    The advice you ask? Exercise. Anything really; walking, running, playing a sport, swimming, etc.
    I resisted the advice for a while because the depression slowed me down and made me want to sit or nap.
    When I was able to start moving my large body, I felt better and better. Better about myself and my outlook improved immensely.
    I'm not saying it was the only thing that helped but it turned out to be of tremendous value in alleviating my depression, anxiety and of course helped me want to eat better (and not as much) and eventually lose the excess weight the sadness bestowed had upon my body.
  • karenh
    karenh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Karen. I have clinical depression for which I take medication that I think increases my appetite. I have taken meds for years and am about 25lbs heavier than before meds. For years I have managed to lose 20-30 lbs (getting me 1/2 way to my goal) and then I gain it back. I am trying again but a little differently this time....I have done MFP off and on since 2006 but never made a friend for support or advice or just complaining about how hard it is until this week. I'm determined to make my goal this time and maintain it. I think encouragement from others in the same boat as me can help since I feel low and lonely in this struggle all alone. Other friends I have either don't care to lose weight and don't want to try it with me or they just lose the weight quick and easy onetime and they're done. (which makes me depressed because I'm a failure). Maybe you need support from people who understand what you are going through and I would being like to be a friend and have a friend too! Here are some other things I have been doing and they are not easy: 1. Tell myself to wait 20 minutes before giving in to a craving to see if it passes. 2. I tell myself being a little hungry feels thin, and I want to be thin. It's not bad to be hungry a few times a day, it is the normal cycle to get hungry, eat, feel satisfied, get hungry, and then have to eat again. 3. I am taking care of myself when I watch what I eat and take the time to log my food and exercise. I am just as worth taking care of as all those other people who obviously think they are worth it, because they do it already. Good Luck, you can do this, you are worth it!
  • zootiesgroove
    Options
    According to neuro-associative conditioning, there are six steps to changing these inclinations:
    Decide. Personal change starts when the person makes a strong, irrevocable commitment to change.
    Get leverage. To motivate them to change, the person must acutely feel that their old habits were destructive and painful, and the new ones are empowering and pleasurable.
    Interrupt the old pattern. This is a neuro-linguistic programming technique. When someone gets caught up in a familiar pattern of thoughts, feelings and behaviors, they should do something unexpected to shock themselves out of it. "Next time you start to feel depressed, jump up, look at the sky, and yell in your most idiotic tone of voice, 'Hallelujah! My feet don't stink today!' A stupid, silly move like that will definitely shift your attention."
    Create a new pattern. The person must have something new to replace their old habit with.
    Condition the new pattern. This step involves repeating and reinforcing the new pattern until it is habitual.
    Test it. Put yourself in the situation where you previously would have engaged in the destructive behavior. Make sure you follow the new pattern rather than the old one.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    i go thru curves of depression. my son has much worse clinical depression so I have a good understanding of how different is between the ups and downs I have and his worse depression. feel free to add me.
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When I was depressed it was hard to move, my body ached my mind resisted rational thoughts and I clearly didn't care what I ate because after all I had convinced myself I was worthless. The one thing that saved me was exercise. I refused to take meds and I had read that exercise is a natural anti depressant so I joined a 10 week fitness challenge. It was something I was going to do for me 3-5 times a week. I had to go no matter how I felt, there were some days where I went to the gym and worked hard and there was a day here and there where I walked in got a protein shake and left but at least I went. That 10 week challenge has lasted 50 weeks now and January 28 it will be one year.

I can tell you that I am 100% symptom free and my energy is through the roof. You have to do it in spite of your depression, you are the only one that can fight it and you deserve to be in control. Don't forget to come on MfP each day and read something positive to keep you going.

Good luck
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with anxiety/depression. I don't know if addictions run in our genes, but I have an addictive personality. Never been a big drinker. I don't smoke. I have never done drugs. Eating was my addiction. Then I started to replace that addiction with pulling my hair out. Then when I was bald in spots I went back to eating. Now--I replaced everything with being addicted to MFP and losing weight. I don't want to get so addicted that it turns into an eating disorder, so along with the meds I also see a counselor.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a good therapist? Either in conjunction w/ or in place of the medications? Also, have an open discussion w/ your psychiatrist (and yes, you should consider a psychiatrist in place of your family practitioner in these cases) about tolerable vs intolerable side effects for you. There are lots of medication options out there if you choose to continue that route. Also, if its SAD and not "regular" depression, consider light therapy. It is actually very effective against SAD and some forms do depression. Good luck. I hope things look up for you.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with anxiety/depression. I don't know if addictions run in our genes, but I have an addictive personality. Never been a big drinker. I don't smoke. I have never done drugs. Eating was my addiction. Then I started to replace that addiction with pulling my hair out. Then when I was bald in spots I went back to eating. Now--I replaced everything with being addicted to MFP and losing weight. I don't want to get so addicted that it turns into an eating disorder, so along with the meds I also see a counselor.

Yes, unfortunately addiction has some genetic loading. The expression of addiction just varies (drugs, food, gaming, work, etc). Silver lining, genetic predisposition does not equal futility. Good for you in seeking help. I hope you found a great counselor you can connect with. Best of luck!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    According to neuro-associative conditioning, there are six steps to changing these inclinations:
    Decide. Personal change starts when the person makes a strong, irrevocable commitment to change.
    Get leverage. To motivate them to change, the person must acutely feel that their old habits were destructive and painful, and the new ones are empowering and pleasurable.
    Interrupt the old pattern. This is a neuro-linguistic programming technique. When someone gets caught up in a familiar pattern of thoughts, feelings and behaviors, they should do something unexpected to shock themselves out of it. "Next time you start to feel depressed, jump up, look at the sky, and yell in your most idiotic tone of voice, 'Hallelujah! My feet don't stink today!' A stupid, silly move like that will definitely shift your attention."
    Create a new pattern. The person must have something new to replace their old habit with.
    Condition the new pattern. This step involves repeating and reinforcing the new pattern until it is habitual.
    Test it. Put yourself in the situation where you previously would have engaged in the destructive behavior. Make sure you follow the new pattern rather than the old one.

Tagging this.

OP, I deal with major depression and have tried managing it without medication. exercise is key. You can look at my profile to see other things I do to manage it. I still have some truly awful days, but I am still trying to avoid medication at all costs. Probably haven't said anything helpful, but just know you're not alone.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I struggle with agoraphobia/anxiety & depression

the number one thing is finding a therapist you feel comfortable with , next is medication if you want it or really need it

third thing is find at least one person in real life who you are close to and can be a source of support

exercise will help a bit but it is not a magic button to cure your mental illness trust me.. I have lost over 140 pounds and my mental condition is not any better now than it was before I started this
  • tweetypixx
    tweetypixx Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies, some brilliant advice. I have recently started to be more active, exercise wise and maybe after some time this will help. I am seeing a therapist next week, my first appointment. So maybe with some ongoing support and exercise it may improve. I was just curious how others managed to keep doing so well with eating and coping with that also. I know support is key but sometimes don't feel like I get that at home. I know I am taking the first steps towards making a happier me by trying to lose the weight, as that is a big part of my depression. Maybe this year is the year to finally sort myself out. Thank you guys
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with fighting emotional eating. I started doing it in my teens to cope with depression...I didn't care what I ate, or how much I ate, or when I ate it. I would eat until I felt sick, not until I felt full. It's really hard some times, especially when I'm really stressed out to not turn to food. But you have to take things one day at at time. Realize that it truly is an addiction, and like any other addiction, it's not going to go away overnight. Celebrate the small victories! Recognize when you are stressed and stay away from food if you know that is when you go crazy for food. Or if you are craving something, portion out a serving, and put the rest away, and log it. You still get your 'fix', and you won't sit and eat the whole bag/container. You are going to have set backs and you are going to have weak moments and give in. And you know what? That's ok! The important thing is that you are trying to fix this habit you have, and any effort you put into that will never be wasted. Please feel free to add me, I'm on here every day and I try to support my friends as best as I can. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you feel better soon!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options

Love these steps to making a change. I am in a late afternoon sitting around and wanting to eat habit. I see what u r saying about changing the pattern and repeating until it is the new habit. Thx
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    had many problems for years from depression caused by PTSD

counselling/therapy is what helped the most

lifting heavy weights is what helped the most after that. not just the "happy hormones" and the fact that strenuous exercise reduces the level of stress hormones in the blood, but also because lifting heavy stuff makes me feel strong and capable. That went a very long way to chasing the PTSD out of my brain.

I also recommend:

- exposure to sunlight, or if that's impossible, vitamin D supplements (or why not both)
    - just being active, even just going for a little walk every day (preferably outdoors)
    - good sleep hygiene (it's not just about getting enough sleep, also about good quality sleep)
    - eating a healthy diet with balanced macros... forget low fat or low carb, the brain needs fat and carbs to function right... go for moderate fat, moderate carb + plenty of protein and fresh fruits and veggies.
    - get enough calories and have a moderate deficit, eating too little can make depression worse and even in people without depression can cause them to be in a bad mood (aka "hangry")
    - for dealing with increased appetite, drinking tea may help (so long as you're okay with the caffeine) and eat low calorie density foods (e.g. low calorie veggies) and protein foods. protein fills you up, tea can suppress appetite a little and low calorie density foods you can eat a lot of without piling on the calories so less risk of overeating.,
  • jonmscharff
    jonmscharff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a good therapist? Either in conjunction w/ or in place of the medications? Also, have an open discussion w/ your psychiatrist (and yes, you should consider a psychiatrist in place of your family practitioner in these cases) about tolerable vs intolerable side effects for you. There are lots of medication options out there if you choose to continue that route. Also, if its SAD and not "regular" depression, consider light therapy. It is actually very effective against SAD and some forms do depression. Good luck. I hope things look up for you.

Funny...reading the OP I was hoping you would chime in my friend ;)
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Sorry you're going through a rough time.

I have been on and off with depression for several years, I wouldn't say it is clinically, just very low, I never went to the Doctors because I thought i'd never get taken seriously. Last year I was told I had fibromyalgia, and I have figured out my main cause of my depression, is because I was so low in energy and motivation. I have a severe vitamin D deficiency so when I started taking them it gave me the boost to improve everything else in my life.

The pain I was feeling last year in my hips/legs and back was so bad sometimes I couldn't get out of bed. I have realised this last two weeks that the reason I was in so much pain was because 1) The Vit D deficiency, 2) I wasn't eating right, and 3) I wasn't moving at all, so the lack of energy was coming from not actually doing anything.

I have also stopped taking my pain medication, gabapentin, because it was making me feel *more* depressed. Now I deal with my pain in my own way.

Since I started exercising and eating right, I have felt so much better, I have more energy, more motivation, not in so much pain because I am moving my legs/hips so they are not cramping up, my muscle spasms are less frequent. I feel like I am on a journey to a new life.

It has taken me years to figure out what my problem was for feeling so low, so finding the reasons why you feel the way you do would be a great start.

There's lots of amazing people here ready to help when needed. You can add me if you like. I hope you feel better x
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 major clinical depressions in my life, and I found the best way to treat my depression, was to change my thought patterns. I know this sounds a little hokey, but look onto Cognitive Behavioural therapy. In conjunction with the correct medication (to take the edge off the depression) CBT and counselling was the most helpful.

I found that in the midst of my depression, setting small goals each day was extremely helpful. Some examples are things like 'I will get up at 8 am, and be showered and dressed by 9am" or "I will put supper in the oven by 5 pm, and load the dishwasher".

Set small, attainable goals, and celebrate the small successes.

Now that I am past depression, healthy eating and exercise help it stay away, but in the midst of depression, I barely had the energy to get out of bed, let alone exercise.

I went to a therapy group as well, that I found extremely helpful.

Sometimes you need medication though, to take the edge off the depression, so you can start to work on the underlaying issues. Sometimes, you just need medication to counteract the chemical imbalance in the brain, and some people don't need medication at all. It is different for everyone, so it will take some time to find out what will help you. The first, and hardest step though, is asking for help.

Good luck. :)