question about bodyweight exercises

Options
So I was informed that when weight training, your muscles usually help burn extra calories even after your not working out. Since bodyweight exercises are considered weight trainibg (so I've been told) does it still have the benefits afterwards as well?

Replies

• jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yes, bodweight exercises can have the same benefits as weight training provided the exercises provide
    1)Progression
    2) Overload

Which means, basically, the exercises themselves need to be adjusted to make them harder and harder as you get stronger so it's a continual challenge. For example, Incline Stair pushups<military pushups<decline stair pushups

Check out the book and/or app for "You are your own gym" it's a good, well designed bodyweight training program.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So I was informed that when weight training, your muscles usually help burn extra calories even after your not working out. Since bodyweight exercises are considered weight trainibg (so I've been told) does it still have the benefits afterwards as well?
    The extra calorie burn is very much exaggerated for strength training. It's not really something that you should be even really thinking about.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It depends... at a certain point body weight exercises can't really create overload in the muscles creating that "after burn." This is not to say body weight movements aren't important.. body weight is good for cardiovascular, mobility, ingraining good body mechanics.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes, bodweight exercises can have the same benefits as weight training provided the exercises provide
    1)Progression
    2) Overload

Which means, basically, the exercises themselves need to be adjusted to make them harder and harder as you get stronger so it's a continual challenge. For example, Incline Stair pushups<military pushups<decline stair pushups

Check out the book and/or app for "You are your own gym" it's a good, well designed bodyweight training program.

Yes I purchased the Kindle edition of this book. If you are doing the right kinds of bodyweight training then yes it will work like that.

On the other hand I wouldn't count it toward extra calories burned or anything.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try doing just one pistol squat. You'll feel the burn after that no matter how much weight you can squat with a barbell.

As for the extra calories burned afterwards, think of them as a nice added bonus, but don't count them if you're eating back your exercise calories as they'll be negligible no matter how you weight train.