Which Bread is Better?

Options
The husband and I have always eaten Honey Wheat bread. It's light and fluffy, similar to white bread in texture, and only 70 calories per slice. But work recently introduced us to a super yummy whole grain bread that we actually enjoyed. It's grainy and nutty, one of those good dense breads full of whole grain goodness and tons of fiber. But it's higher in calories, 110 per slice.

So the question is: do we go with a more nutritious bread full of more good stuff but more calories, or do we go with the less substantial but lower calorie bread?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this bread debate!

Replies

• gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go with the grain bread. It may be more calories but better for you in the long run. The honey wheat might have more sugars. I love Honey wheat to but I eat whole wheat now.
  • rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The more Nutritionally dense bread for sure! Even though it has several more calories it takes your body more to process the whole grains. Also because it has the nuts and unprocessed things in it you will feel fuller longer.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Those are the good kind of calories! Yumm!!!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I eat the Nature's Own 35 Calorie breads. I change it up, but I use the wheat, honey wheat, and 9 grain.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer the more nutritious, whole grain breads. The honey wheat is just white bread with coloring (honey) to make it darker and not necessarily whole wheat since it doesn't have "whole" in the title, so it will have a similar blood sugar response as white bread. Some forms of the glycemic index actually use white bread as the standard to measure the GI because it spikes blood sugar about the same as straight glucose. A whole wheat bread, however, won't have as high a spike in blood sugar. So, someone with diabetes would really have to watch this. The other benefit to the whole grains are the additional vitamins and minerals that may or may not be added artificially to the white or honey wheat bread.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    I get whole wheat bread fortified with all the goodies.
    I figure if i'm gonna eat bread I might aswell get more bang for my buck.
    I eat Arnold's Triple Health Wheat Bread.
    4g protein
    6g fiber
    With flax seeds and all sorts of vitamins added.
  • james3302
    Options
    Nature's Own Doule Fiber Wheat is what we eat.
    1 slice is
    Calories:50
    Carbs:13
    Potein:3
    Fiber:5
    Sugars:0
    Fat:1