Any Breastfeeding mom out there?

Options
Hi :) Here's a little background:

I have been counting my calories for 2 months now. I have MFP set to lose 1 lb/wk, and it gave me 1870 calories to work with. I've lost 13 lbs so far (woohoo!) I have a 4-month old baby that I am breastfeeding and I work a full-time job, so I pump at work and send him to daycare with milk. I still nurse him at home, but lately I have been noticing that I may have a lot of milk in the morning, but in the afternoon and evening, it seems to get pretty low. I feed him before I leave for work, around 5:30am, pump 3 times during the day (9AM, lunch, and 3PM), and then nurse 2-3 times in the evening. He usually goes to sleep around 8 and sleeps through the night until 5-5:30 the next morning. I will usually pump again before I go to bed, and might get 1.5-2 ounces. My problem is...I'm coming up short. He used to eat around 12 ounces at daycare, now he is eating 15-16. I usually am able to pump about 12 total throughout the day, but I notice a drop off in the afternoon/evening. For example, yesterday at 9AM i pumped 6 ounces, at noon I pumped 3 ounces, and at 3pm I pumped 2-2.5. And when I nurse in the evening, he doesn't seem as satisfied as he should.

I'm wondering if I need to change my eating habits. I normally have oatmeal for breakfast, just because it is usually low-calorie and I've also heard it boosts milk production, I eat a 500-600 calorie lunch, and I bring a couple of pieces of fruit for in between snacks if needed. I usually end up with 800-1000 calories left over for dinner. Would it help if I ate more calories during the day? I already drink tons of water, usually at least 40 ounces while at work alone. I drink more when I go home, but I don't measure it. I rarely drink anything but water.

If anybody has any suggestions, please help, I have a lot of milk in the freezer, but I'd rather just start producing enough for my baby instead of having to always dip into that.

Replies

• mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you want to boost supply, you need to increase stimulation. Pump more, put baby on more when you're home, and drink more water. Are you accounting for the 500 calories used to make milk? That will help a lot. Edit for random capital word.
  • rle2512
    rle2512 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am no longer breastfeeding, as my kids are 3 and 4, but i did until both were 15 months. I went back to work full time when my youngest was 2 months old and it was also a slow decline in milk production. I would try and pump more, pump after he eats at night to encourage milk production, it will be slow at 1st but your body will start generating more. If you are able to pump more at work i would do that too, not just when you are full. I wish i would have, I exclusively breastfed my oldest alot longer than i did my youngest, he had formula around 3 months where my oldest was 6 months.

But to answer your question, the best i can...: I dont think you are doing anything wrong diet wise, make sure you have plenty of fluids.
  • amywendyj
    amywendyj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! You are doing amazing. I have lots if questions about this too. I just barely started counting yesterday, but I'm terrified of losing my supply. Ialso have an almost 4 month old. And I have roughly the same calories as you. 1380 plus 500 for breastfeeding, but trying for 1.5 lbs a week. Yesterday I was shaky all day and am worried I need to up my calories so I don't lose my milk!! I am really hoping someone has some info on this. I want to lose weight, but not at my baby's expense! Hopefully we can find dome good advice!
  • BiscuitH11
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one this has happened too. I will continue to try to drink more water and pump/nurse more often. It is just odd to me that its always low in the evenings, but is pretty good in the morning.

And, I don't always eat back my calories burned through breastfeeding. Sometimes I will eat an extra 200-300 on top of my 1870, but adding 500 just seems like a lot of calories to me. Should I add them all back? Honestly, even eating on 1800 calories is really not that bad...but eating 2300 doesn't seem like much of a diet.
  • BiscuitH11
    Options
    We are pretty much in the same boat :) I was also scared about a diet affecting my milk supply. I do want to lose weight for sure, but I also want to make sure I produce enough for my baby. I read somewhere online that nursing mothers should eat at least 1800 calories, which is why I set my account up for 1 lb/wk. If I stick to my calories, I actually end up losing about 1.5/wk, which is pretty good so far I think! If I find something that works for me, I will definitely let you know!
  • BiscuitH11
    Options
    One more question...do you pump too? If so, what kind of pump do you have?
  • zavakim
    zavakim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I noticed a decrease when I started dieting to. My guy is 7 months. I quit dieting but also quit exercising. My milk is good now. But I've gained a ton of weight because nursing makes me a bottomless pit. Plus my guy is still mainly dependent on breastmilk and he's a big, hungry little man. I think I'm just going to try to eat healthier and excersise but not really count calories because I think the restriction and the stress of counting was what decreased my supply. I really need to lose but I guess the counting will wait until we ween. Around a year or at least when he's not so dependent on my milk.

I also always have less milk in the evenings:/ baby still gets plenty, don't worry. Just because your breasts don't feel full doesn't mean there's not enough milk. I work full time too. I have a Madela pump and style or something. It's old I've had it through 2 kids now. 4 years. It's still working but doesn't look very nice. Haha. I don't pump as much as I'd like at work so I wake up in the early morning and pump a few hours before baby wakes up.
  • amywendyj
    amywendyj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do pump. I am a stay at mom so It's a bit easier for me this time around. We first bought a Lansinoh double electric pump. After maybe 2 months the motor died. They were sending me a new one but it would take 2 days to get here so I went and bought a cheap Lansinoh manual pump. And believe it or not I prefer it! It takes less time, I get more milk, and its really not to inconvenient. The only down side us it us hard to do anything else. Where with the electric I could do other stuff if I needed to. I still use them both, but I tend to go toward the manual more. And I also felt like what it was originally telling me to eat with breastfeeding was a lot. Like almost 2500 calories. I am going to double check with my Dr on my sons 4 month appt on Friday. Hopefully he can shed a little light on it!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If he goes to sleep at 8 pm then doesn't nurse again till 5:30 am, that's 9 hours even if you do pump before bed. I would nurse him at 11 then again at 3 am. This stimulation will create more of a supply and keep him more satisfied.
    At least try one more feeding between 8 pm and 5:30 am.
    Also nurse him as much as possible on days off.
    Don't be afraid of the 500 extra calories you eat as a nursing mom as long as this is his sole source of nutrition. Those calories are needed for making milk. Good for you for all the water you drink!
    You sound like a wonderfully dedicated momma!
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't pump yet, this baby is only 9.5 weeks. Once she consistently drops the 1 am feed I'll start pumping. I believe having less milk in the evening is totally normal. Do what you're doing, keep up on the water intake and make sure you eat enough. You're doing great!!
  • BiscuitH11
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I appreciate the encouragement and advice! I will continue to drink lots of water and I may add a small snack or two into my day somewhere! Amy, that's a great idea about the manual pump, I'll definitely be giving that a try. I bought one when he was first born when I didn't have an electric yet and used it for a couple of weeks. I'll see if maybe I can get a little more with that!

Thanks again, everyone and good luck with your little ones and your weight loss!
  • wdh009
    wdh009 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's normal to have less milk in the evenings and that you produce the most milk between 3 & 7 am (I may be a little off on the hours). I also work and pump 3 times a day, but when I notice my supply dipping I pump in the car on the way to work. Another thing you might try is when the milk stops flowing change the speed or setting on the pump...sometimes it will trigger another let-down.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You can probably eat a little more. I would set it for 1lb/week and eat the extra 500 cals you get for breastfeeding (there are a few ways to adjust your goals on MFP).

Water, oatmeal, and certain herbs can help you produce more milk. Also, if you are a few months into pumping, you may need to replace parts like tubing and valves to get the suction back in your pump. What kind of pump do you have? Hygeia and Medela are great for working moms.

I have worked/pumped for two kids now and been through quite a few scenarios. :P
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Fenugreek is known to increase milk production typically within 2-3 days. Look up dosage for miligrams but supposedly take two supplements at a time as often as three times a day. It is not uncommon for women to begin dropping milk production when having to pump. Good luck to you! Hope fenugreek works fo you.
  • BiscuitH11
    Options
    Yes, I am beginning to think it may be normal to have a lower supply in the evening :(.

Last night, I pumped before I went to bed, around 10. and then I woke up at 1:30 and pumped again. Those 2 pumping sessions got me about 5 ounces combined, which definitely helps. And I did notice a small increase at work today, but I've really been trying to increase the amount of water I drink, so I'm guessing that's it.

I have the Medela freestyle. It's a great pump, but it doesn't have the same membrane type things where the bottle would attach to the pump valve, so I'm not really sure what other part I would replace. I had the Medela Instyle a few years ago with my first child, and it had those little white plastic membranes that you're supposed to replace every month or so. This new pump doesn't have those though.

I have also started bringing a little bigger snack for the afternoon that will add 2-300 calories, so hopefully I will be seeing an increase in the next couple of days!
  • BiscuitH11
    Options
    Oh, and I'm not sure on the Fenugreek. I have taken it before, with my first child. But I am also on Procardia XL and I heard conflicting stories on whether Fenugreek would interact with Procardia.

When I had my son, I was readmitted to the hospital 2 days later with postpartum pre-eclampsia. After that, I was on several blood pressure pills, and have been taken off now except for this last one. I don't see my Dr for a couple of weeks and I was going to ask him about Fenugreek when I go in.
  • slrprncss88
    Options
    I read over and over that it is important to drinl to thirst but that GENERALLY in increase in water intake does not equal more BM. Again it's about supply and demand. Sounds like from everyones experience you just gotta feed LO more often. Although IDK how that would work because my son will only eat when he wants to. Not when I want him to. I too worry about supply but I just started counting calories and losing weight 10 days ago. But I aso read that making BM means you need anywhere from 300-600 calories extra. It's not easy to figure which number you should be using. I chose 300. And I eat them back. Too bad there is no support group for BF moms.....
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I remember in the early days my breasts seemed to be full in the mornings and then seemed emptier in the afternoons/evenings. Plus a young baby may cluster feed (feed frequently) in the evenings to increase supply or because they're going through a growth spurt, or feeling fussy.

Personally I would not use fenugreek as it can be a bit rough on bub's system, make bub gassy etc. Look up a recipe for lactation cookies (or I can post one for you) as they can also help increase supply.

Sounds like otherwise you are going really well!
  • jayamama11
    Options
    Most moms notice a drop in supply in the evenings. The milk tends to be less plentiful, but more fatty to make up for it, so that's normal. But if you want to up your supply, you can pump more often, including once during the night if you're up for it, and making sure to drink plenty of water. You should eat at least an extra 200-300 calories, or your body will go into starvation mode and hang onto the fat rather than burning it. Plus, I'm sure you'd agree that your baby's health takes priority over your weight loss at this time. If you're desperate, trying mother's milk tea or fenugreek.
  • childhoodshour00
    childhoodshour00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I signed up for MFP last year when my baby was a few months old. Even including 500 calories of "exercise" for breastfeeding, my supply went through the floor. I started to lose weight but my milk supply was more important to me. So i gave up on the weight loss and just maintained my overweight self over the last year (I've NEVER lost weight from breastfeeding btw). So I started up again. I am still nursing my baby, who is 16 months, after work and on the weekends on demand, but since it's not her main source of nutrition at this point , i'm hoping I'll be able to work on myself. Also, to the original poster, I had severe milk production problems, so much so that I had to use donor milk to fill in gaps when i was working two jobs, just watch your supply and as long as baby is satisfied you'll be ok. it's all about supply and demand. :)