thoughts on pedometers?

Options
Hey there,

I was wondering what your thoughts are about pedometers? Do you think they are a reliable source? I'm a college student, and spend a lot of time walking around to classes and was thinking of getting one.

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    They are a fun tracker to see what is really happening and they help with motivation. For $10.00 or so, I think they are a worthy investment.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit Meter. It's really fun to see how many calories I burn at work or by walking to the store or even cleaning.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A lot of reviews say they are not terribly accurate. I decided to focus on time. Less gear to deal with. Simplifies things and gets the job done.
  • jfran87
    jfran87 Posts: 16
    Options
    Yeah, It's probably better to just do regular excersize I'm thinking, then to worry about getting a pedometer.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Fitbits and all the other fancy activity trackers you see people raving about now are just nice pedometers with fancy apps. They're a great tool for a lot of us. They don't replace the benefits of regular exercise but if you wonder if the days you walk a ton, you could skip the gym, you'd have some numbers to base it on.
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, and as far as I can tell it is as accurate as I need it to be. It keeps me focused and is somewhat addicting, it interacts with my phone and gives me a really nice litmus for how active I have been. It uploads daily to myfitnesspal. I wear it - I lose weight, and I am active.
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    No device is going to fix any problems with zero motivation or determination. Last year several coworkers were raving about their fit bits or whatever. One was posting on FB. Haven't heard a word about them for months. Couple if the people still top the 300 lbs on the scale (probably closer to 400.)

The truth is we all have to arrive at a certain mindset - and hopefully stay there - to be healthy. Humans are complicated.

If you enjoy gadgets and it works for you, go for it. Weight loss and fitness is a challenge for many.
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    I love my fitbit, and as far as I can tell it is as accurate as I need it to be. It keeps me focused and is somewhat addicting, it interacts with my phone and gives me a really nice litmus for how active I have been. It uploads daily to myfitnesspal. I wear it - I lose weight, and I am active.

Congrats and wishing you continued success!
  • courtneyrennie1313
    Options
    I use mine every single day! I love it!!
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    While I don't think any of them are 100% accurate they can at least give you an idea of what's going on. I think it is a personal choice and if it will help motivate you then go for it.
  • DorothyR87
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and while it of course is not 100% accurate I find that it motivates me. I am constantly checking it and if I am not at my goals for the day I will walk until I am. Just having it on encourages me to move more than I normally would. Additionally I love that the fitbit connects with MFP and adjusts my calories I can eat. I do eat my calories back and I am still losing weight so obviously I am not over eating due to inaccuracies.
  • jillamina13
    jillamina13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking steps for about 5 years. Simple goal... 10,000 steps every day... It is a great motivator for me personally. I have one on my ancient iPod nano.... I bet there is already one on a device you have! Why not, right?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I love love love my Fitbit. I find it accurate, useful, and motivating.
  • zLeaDr
    zLeaDr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've had pedometers that were never very accurate, but I got a Fitbit for Christmas and LOVE it. There are multiple versions, but the Zip (most inexpensive) works just fine and is supremely accurate. The advantage is the constant feedback and the ability to synchronize with your MFP account. The unit is also a great motivator . . . if you're at the end of your "work" day and find you haven't reached your goal in steps, you can plan in an extra walk after dinner or a quick elliptical or XBox session to bump you to that goal.