Confused please help

Options
Hi
I have put I my details on tdee calculators and if I put sedentary which I am most of the time as I have a desk job and not very active it comes out as bmr of 1846 and tdee of 2228

I weigh 246 lbs and I want to am to lose 2 lb a week as I am getting married in September. I am female and 5ft 4

What would you recommend I eat in terms of calories as 25% off my tdee goes below my bmr?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Can you add some exercise into your day?
  • Brunty554
    Options
    I plan to walk at the weekends and maybe do Zumba once a week but as my job is a desk job and I stay away a lot in hotels it is tricky

What calories should I be eating do you think?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A lot of the decision as to the 'best' intake is regarding how likely you are to adhere.

With a decent amount of weight to lose, a 2lb a week loss is reasonable. However, unless you exercise, that will put you on pretty low calories (a little over 1,200 without exercise). At this level, you run the risk of not getting enough nutrients (because you do not have that much to 'play with') and it increases the risk of not adhering - of either bingeing or falling off the wagon. I would suggest that you look to set your caloric intake at about 1,700 (which would be approx 1lb a week). Use exercise to create a greater deficit so that you are nearer to a 2lb a week loss (but don't go crazy on the exercise). Take a few classes, go for walks, take the stairs etc. It all adds up. If you find this too restrictive, then do not be afraid to up the calories a bit. Losing 1lb a week for 40 weeks is better than losing 2lb a week for 2 and then stopping.

Pay attention to what your weight is doing over the longer term - look at the trend. Your first few weeks you should see a large drop as you shed water weight, then it should stabilize. If you are losing quicker/slower than expected, then tweak your calories up/down as appropriate.

Also, I would recommend getting a digital scale if you do not already have one and weigh your food as often as possible.
  • Brunty554
    Options
    Thanks I will try my calories at 1750 this week and see how I get on and do me bit of exercise but not eat the calories back

Fingers crossed this is the way to go but as you say some of it is trial and error
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    walking is amazing exercise
    since you will be staying in hotels if they have a pool go for a swim
    use the internet there are loads of free videos for working out on you tube
    I like the Leslie Sansone Walk at home videos they are easy
  • Brunty554
    Options
    Yes I like walking been for one today and I have downloaded Davian's new DVD so I will give her sessions a go when in hotels as I don't feel comfortable trying swimming as I am so big

Thanks