Round Two.. or three... Who's counting?

Options
Hi there folks, my name is Betty. I'm 28 years old, living in Wichita KS with my SO and our four cats. I've worked nights as a baker for the last eight years and I'm studying for a degree in Chemistry. I love to cook, garden, I've got a serious netflix/hulu problem, and I travel home to northern WI as often as I can.

After a strong start last year or so with a healthy enthusiasm towards the gym and a much improved diet, i managed to lose nearly ten pounds. As is often the case for a lot of us, I went through a pretty unfortunate series of events and put the gym (and my diligent food tracking) aside.

I've had a good amount of time to process things, and I feel like I've overcome a lot in the last year; that is, except, this big fat *kitten* of mine. I turned some emotional baggage into donut-filled hip and waistline baggage, and it's time to unpack. Unpacking after a holiday is the worst, but it's time to get back to normal life and i'm taking this opportunity to re-define my "normal" life as a healthy one.

I've been tracking my food for the last week, but haven't quite changed my diet much. I wanted to see how bad "normal" has been, and fortunately, it wasn't quite as bad as I thought. I've made it to the gym four times now, which is close enough to a pattern for me for now. Light/moderate cardio on the elliptical, plus some weight machines. I'm aware that free weights can provide a better range of resistance, but the machines are a lot easier on my RSI-addled hands.

If anyone would be nice/bored enough to take a look at my recent diary and critique, I'd be deeply appreciative. Friends are always nice, too. I'm a liberal atheist living in KS; I've learned not to take things too personally.

I'm ready to try again. I'll keep trying again and again, as long as it takes.

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    Glad u r back on track!! I am back on track also.. I lost, maintained for a year and have put back in 10 lbs. my new clothes are tight and I am not happy. My problem was drinking wine.. One glass turned into 2 and 3 and then the munchies. I have to cut out the wine!!! When I was successful, I weighed myself, logged food and exercise and did not drink!!

I also have 4 cats:wink:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You've got the right attitude. Get the logging down first, then start changing what you eat (portion control, fewer snacks, etc.). You're taking a baseline, which I think is really smart.

Most everything I've learned via MFP is in this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Oh, and take lots of before pics. Wish I had!
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    One glass turned into 2 and 3 and then the munchies.

I also have 4 cats:wink:

I've also had some struggles with munchie-inducing relaxation aids. Alcohol's just not my bag.

I friended sidesteal the first time around, but the attitude gets kind of tiresome quickly. Granted, it's pretty valuable advice.

Before pics today, after a stop at the gym so i'm good and hivey.

Does anyone else have trouble with heat rash like that? Every time I leave the gym, it looks like I just went and rolled around in ragweed or something. This was an issue before, too. Is there a way to avoid this?
  • pamk1974
    Options
    Glad to see I am not the only one restarting again. I feel its best to take it one day at a time. A workout buddy helps too. I only have 1 cat, but i also have 3 dogs!
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    A workout buddy helps too.

This would be awesome, but my typical/ideal workout time is around 5.45am when the gym opens (and right around when I get off work). It's a lot to ask of a friend. Fortunately, i'm not a particularly social creature anyway, so my podcasts keep me pretty well company.