WHAT EXACTLY IS A CUP?!

Options
I AM GOING CRAZY OVER HERE. started actively logging my food intake and exercising on the 6th of Jan 2014, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what a cup (eg a cup of sliced bananas) is a cup equal to say 1litre on a measuring cup or is it like a rice cooker cup which is about 160-180 ml. is there a standard cup?
please don't tell me to weigh, I have a food scale, but I cant take it to work, so I can only measure my food intake at home, and sort of eye ball it at work. I would like to take my lunch to work but that's not possible this month. so I really need to know what the measurement for a cup is!!please help, I am so frustrated!!

actually my biggest issue is rice, I have lunch at work and its sort of a cafeteria set up. they don't use measuring cups, they have their own little bowls they use for dishing out rice, I try to have only one or two of those, but it bothers me not knowing exactly how much im eating. the fruit don't bother me as much since I weigh them at home before taking it to work.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A cup is 250 ml. For solids though I would always weigh as a cup of bananas could depend on how finely you slice the banana and pack it in. There is always multiple entries look for the ones by weight as they will be more accurate.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Use a measuring cup. One cup is one cup.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    When I have a banana I just log it as "whole or half".
  • xDinMammax
    Options

Not all of us live in a country where they measure in cups :)
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    a measuring cup is 250 ml, or 8 oz. Some things need to be weighed for accuracy.
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    8 oz = a cup of whatever you are measuring, but like some one else said depends on how thin or thick a slice is, some one might take half a banana and put it in a measuring cup and call it "a cup of banana"
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Not a silly question. Sometimes I wonder myself. I mean, I know a cup is a cup (by US standards), but sometimes I wonder how you judge a cup. For example, 1 cup of broccoli. Do I have to pulverize it to make a cup?? Is this kinda what you mean?
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    IKR? Use a scale. Weight is more accurate.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    To add to your confusion, there are also dry/solid food measuring cups, and also liquid measuring cups.

Make a fist. That's roughly the size of a cup of food. (Unless you have man hands! :)

I don't measure my fruit, I just look for "medium apple" or "medium banana" or whatever. People will say I'm not being accurate enough, but it works for me.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Make a fist. That's roughly the size of a cup of food. (Unless you have man hands! :)

lol
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    8 oz = a cup of whatever you are measuring, but like some one else said depends on how thin or thick a slice is, some one might take half a banana and put it in a measuring cup and call it "a cup of banana"

This isn't exactly true--this is the general rule for liquids only. A cup of Rice Krispies does not weigh 8 oz.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I don't measure my fruit, I just look for "medium apple" or "medium banana" or whatever. People will say I'm not being accurate enough, but it works for me.

I do something similar to this, but I like to overestimate just to be safe. The reason I do this is because a 'large apple' if you are talking about a granny smith is about half the size of a large apple of the 20oz variety. If I think the fruit is small and I cannot weigh it, I record it as a medium, etc
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Don't know whete OP is from but we don't use cups in the UK. Weighing is always better for solids.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Just look up medium/large fruit and go from there. Honestly, no reason to be that nit picky about it. Average weight of a medium banana without the peel is around 100 grams give or take.

Hope that helps.
  • Kayzia_M
    Kayzia_M Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Not all of us live in a country where they measure in cups :)
    THIS! thank you for saying this, had to bite back a sarcastic response when I saw that reply
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A cup is 8 fluid ounces or 8 fl oz, this is by volume. If you are weighing something that is 8 oz, then its by weight.

Edit..8 oz of lead will take up less volume (space) than 8 oz of feathers
  • Kayzia_M
    Options
    Not a silly question. Sometimes I wonder myself. I mean, I know a cup is a cup (by US standards), but sometimes I wonder how you judge a cup. For example, 1 cup of broccoli. Do I have to pulverize it to make a cup?? Is this kinda what you mean?

lol! sort of :smile:
  • Kayzia_M
    Options
    lol, definitely not man hands, ill try this till I can get a scale for work
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options

^This. And, maybe you can measure things out at home as you are making your lunch for work too.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Just use a scale and weigh your stuff. There are a lot of entries in the database that are in grams, that's the way I do it :)