Small dog as running partner?

Options
I have a Miniature/Toy Poodle x Shih zu. She has loads of energy as Poodles do. However, I'm worried if she could last long with constant running. She does have short legs after all. I don't want to injure her body either. Do you think she would be fine? How far do you think she could handle? How fast?

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My toy fox terriers start giving signs of wanting to go home after about a mile, and that's just walking. They're more like sprinters than endurance runners. I suppose it could be possible though if you started out with short distances and progressively increased. There is a lady who runs at a park near me, she has a little shi zhu mix that follows along off leash at her own pace as her owner does laps. It's funny to see. My dogs def aren't that obedient (not sure if thats the right word choice), they much prefer to smell around and bolt.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My toy fox terriers start giving signs of wanting to go home after about a mile, and that's just walking. They're more like sprinters than endurance runners. I suppose it could be possible though if you started out with short distances and progressively increased. There is a lady who runs at a park near me, she has a little shi zhu mix that follows along off leash at her own pace as he

Hm, I really don't want to overwork her. I'm only getting into running myself and thought I could train her to run with me as I go while doing C25K. So I was planning on doing it short bursts and not full on. Thoughts?
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I have a shih tzu, and used to have a poodle. The poodle totally could have ran with me, but the shih tzu can only do short distances (like a sprint for 1 minute at most). Those little short legs and the long body just aren't made to run far, I think!
  • benefiting
    Options
    I have a shih tzu, and used to have a poodle. The poodle totally could have ran with me, but the shih tzu can only do short distances (like a sprint for 1 minute at most). Those little short legs and the long body just aren't made to run far, I think!

My dogs legs are as long as my hand roughly... damn.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

Oh wow! They are tiny! My shih tzu is about 1.5 feet long.

I'd say take them out on short runs first, and see how they react. Do they look exhausted? Then gradually increase the distance.
  • benefiting
    Options

Oh wow! They are tiny! My shih tzu is about 1.5 feet long.

I'd say take them out on short runs first, and see how they react. Do they look exhausted? Then gradually increase the distance.

She is pretty small. She is like half the size of her mother and I don't think she will grow any bigger! Yeah, I might test her out. Just don't want to do any long term damage to her. She is still pretty young.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Is she a mini or a toy?
    How old is she?
    How much exercise does she get now?
    I would be hesitant about running with her much - shih tsus certainly are not designed for running with their face design and short legs. Really running for them is a brisk walk for us.
    If she is more to the poodle size and type then maybe you could do a bit.

You have to build up to it with them, and only when they are old enough as pavement pounding is hard on their joints. And remember they have no choice about stopping for a breather, you want to keep them to a brisk trot rather than a run and at first intersperse with lots of short breaks
  • DorothyR87
    Options
    I would recommend if you are wanting to try only try for short amounts at first. I have two small dogs and one would be good with running for awhile while the other would probably be unable to run very far (neither are overweight or elderly). I think it really depends on your dog.
  • roxylola
    Options
    Just noticed you said she is pretty young - anything les than 18 months and I would not consider it at all. But from what you are saying I think it would be too much for her to be honest.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Can you get a jogging stroller and put her in it when she gets tired??
  • benefiting
    Options
    Is she a mini or a toy?
    How old is she?
    How much exercise does she get now?
    I would be hesitant about running with her much - shih tsus certainly are not designed for running with their face design and short legs. Really running for them is a brisk walk for us.
    If she is more to the poodle size and type then maybe you could do a bit.

You have to build up to it with them, and only when they are old enough as pavement pounding is hard on their joints. And remember they have no choice about stopping for a breather, you want to keep them to a brisk trot rather than a run and at first intersperse with lots of short breaks

I think she is more a toy than a mini because her mum is a mini and she is taller and has longer legs than my dog does. She is 15 months old tomorrow and she doesn't exercise much right now. I was going to build it up like you said.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Can you get a jogging stroller and put her in it when she gets tired??

This was to be my suggestion too - there's a guy around my area who walks MILES a day with his small dog, and he pushes a lightweight jogging stroller the whole time, about half the time with the dog riding :laugh:. I say whatever works to get you active! I would walk with my dogs but they're frankly idiots and would be most uncooperative for any kind of fitness walking!
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    This is a question best answered by your dog's vet who knows this particular animals health.... one thing to consider when running with a dog though, if leash manners aren't impeccable you may find yourself *kitten* over end like I did with my GSD (who is great on a leash but accidentally got his shoulder in front of my knee for a millisecond while we were running down a hill)
  • ra1williamson
    ra1williamson Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a mini cockapoo and a retriever. I can only take my retriever on runs/ bike rides. The cockapoo cant keep up, and would rather smell everything:)
  • leaner426
    Options
    Poodles were originally bred as hunting dogs. The classic poodle cut was designed to protect their joints from cold water (seriously.) I think your plan to take it slow and let the dog dictate how long, fast, far it wants to go is good. You could always start around your house with the dog, and if it tires out drop it off then continue. If you have any off leash parks in the area, taking your dog there and seeing how much it runs of its own volition to play with other dogs may give you an idea (and surprise you.) If you are still uncertain, ask your vet. He/she knows your dog and its health and can provide advice.
  • roxylola
    Options
    I would say you could probably start the first week of c25k with her and see how you get on as that is mostly walking. Do you walk regulary with her now? if you don't I would start by just getting in regular walks, you say she has loads of energy but that could be a lack of exercise if you are not doing much walking. The stroller would be worth looking at if you get more serious.

Are you UK based or elsewhere? If you are UK I would start by going to some parks and running with her off lead so she has a bit more choice how fast she goes (assuming her recall is good enough) If you are not UK there may still be places you can do that but I think most countries have different leash laws
  • benefiting
    Options
    63435638-6ff4-403b-91a7-cbf277b5ef56_zpsa4ac45c5.jpg
    This is a picture of my dog if it helps... she wouldn't sit up so I took one of her laying down. Lol.
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options
    I found a small dog backpack at my pet boutique - it's open at the top and has a little flat platform at the bottom, and a place to hook a harness to inside so the dog doesn't jump out. Worked great for my weinerdog.

It looked a little like this except the top opening was higher -

az-camo-backpack-dog-carrier.jpg

Usually by a half mile or so my dog would decide she's done, and she'd be tired enough that she'd enjoy just chilling out in her bag while I finished my run.
  • benefiting
    Options
    This is a question best answered by your dog's vet who knows this particular animals health.... one thing to consider when running with a dog though, if leash manners aren't impeccable you may find yourself *kitten* over end like I did with my GSD (who is great on a leash but accidentally got his shoulder in front of my knee for a millisecond while we were running down a hill)

I was considering asked my vet when I take her in this week. Oh dear! Thanks for the heads up!
  • benefiting
    Options
    I found a small dog backpack at my pet boutique - it's open at the top and has a little flat platform at the bottom, and a place to hook a harness to inside so the dog doesn't jump out. Worked great for my weinerdog.

It looked a little like this except the top opening was higher -

az-camo-backpack-dog-carrier.jpg

Usually by a half mile or so my dog would decide she's done, and she'd be tired enough that she'd enjoy just chilling out in her bag while I finished my run.

LOL. That would look so weird but at the same time I rather that than a stroller.