Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

no change in weight, started 3 weeks ago

I've been using a food scale and measuring my calories really accurately the past 3 weeks, eating TDEE - 20% (which for me is 1900-2000 cals). I workout 5 days a week burning 500-600 cals a workout. I felt leaner this mornng so I stepped on the scale and weigh the exact same as a I did 3 weeks ago (150). What gives? Should I tweak my calories a bit or give it a few more weeks? I'm not new to working out so I know its not newbie gains or water weight from that. (I do a mix of strength training and cardio fyi) I did start birth control about 2 months ago, which I dont feel made me gain weight, although my boobs do feel a little bigger haha.

Replies

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    The only thing absolutely "required" for weight loss is a calorie deficit. If you are not losing you are not in a deficit.

Either you are consuming more than you think, or if you are logging the calories you burn you are not burning as much as you think. Something is wrong with the calculations somewhere.
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Do you use a HRM? 500-600 is a lot of calories burned per workout. It may be possible you aren't brining as much as you think. I had that problem before I started using a HRM.
  • yes I use a Polar Ft4, and my workouts last at least 60 minutes. I do plyometrics between strength training sets to keep my heart rate up and do cardio warmup and cardio after.
  • I weigh all my food on a digital scale and get accurate calorie counts (you can peek at my diary, I dont eat out, I make all my own food) and have a Polar ft4 HRM which tells me how much Im burning per workouts. My BMR is 1490 and my TDEE is 2400 so eating 1900-2000 like I have been would put me at a 500 calorie deficit.
  • armmh
    armmh Posts: 25
    I dont want to hijack but I am right there with you! Came to to post something similar. I am at 1200 calories or below on some days, use a fitbit AND a HRM when working out~working out is new to me though. Have lost .5 lbs in 17 days. I will say though that my scale gives me 5 different readings if I step on it 5 different times so that doesnt help. I go with the highest reading. SO FRUSTRATING!! This is the longest I have stuck with my intake and output in almost 10 years. I think menopause might play some part..... (I have a 700-1000 calorie deficit daily avg)
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    You said you feel leaner? I say give it a little more time, if your still stuck trim a little calories.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    I would give it a little more time. I've been doing the same for 2 1/2 weeks and the scale has barely moved. I think it just takes your body time to get used to the diet and all.
    I think you also might want to focus on your macros too. I'm trying to work on that as well. Looking at your diary your protein was low especially for strength training. Just my thoughts :)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    I weigh all my food on a digital scale and get accurate calorie counts (you can peek at my diary, I dont eat out, I make all my own food) and have a Polar ft4 HRM which tells me how much Im burning per workouts. My BMR is 1490 and my TDEE is 2400 so eating 1900-2000 like I have been would put me at a 500 calorie deficit.

If you are going off BMR calculators, they are simply an estimate based on the average person with your stats. The are not the exact number for you. Your number may be below average and you simply need fewer calories to maintain. Try lowering your calories 100 calories a day for a week and see if that helps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Doesn't matter how many calories you burn if you use TDEE-20%, just got to make sure you use the right setting (moderately active I'm guessing).

You could just be retaining water. I gained a pound in 3 weeks then lost 3 in 4 days after I got my period, just in the last week. It's totally normal for women. When is your period due? I'd just wait it out, I bet you'll lose weight after.
  • leaner426
    leaner426 Posts: 89 Member
    A couple thoughts - yes, it could be the birth control. People react differently to it, when I went on birth control it threw my thyroid medication out of whack and I had to rebalance it. When the pharmacist switched me to the generic equivalent of the birth control pill I was on it threw the thyroid medicine out of whack again.

If you take allergy medicines like Zyrtec, that is the most debilitating of the non-drowsey formulas (per my doctor). She switched me to Allegra which is a larger molecule and isn't absorbed into the blood stream and my problems went away. (I had trained for a half marathon for over a month with no results, a few days after quitting Zyrtec my mile improved by two minutes.)

And last - get your thyroid checked. If you are hypothyroid your metabolism is slower and that could affect your calorie burn.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Is this the first time you've weighed yourself in three weeks? If so, it could be that the initial 150 was a low fluctuation, and today's weight was unusually high for some reason.

I'd keep going as you are, and make adjustments in a couple weeks if you still see no progress.

I recommend daily weigh-ins, with a huge caveat: you need to do some math to find the difference between your actual weight loss and the daily fluctuations, which are much larger.

Your weight fluctuates depending on water, salt, and fiber intake, and other factors having nothing to do with calories. Using an exponentially weighted average can help you filter out the noise and focus on the trend, as John Walker explains in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). The chapter on "The Rubber Bag" explains, briefly, the source of these fluctuations. The chapter on "Signal and Noise" explains how some simple math can filter them out. Walker explains how to do the math, but you can also set up a free account on his server to do it for you, or use a service like Beeminder or TrendWeight.com.

A final point to consider is that the formulas that most HRMs use were developed based on steady-state cardio exercise and are inaccurate for activities that involve discontinuous effort. Those that use Firstbeat's technology are allegedly better at estimating calories expended in discontinuous efforts.
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Don't just rely on a scale! Scales can be deceiving!!!

- Take tape measurements weekly. And keep track of those.
    - Take bikini pictures weekly (front and both sides). This will show you your progress! Download a free collage app on your phone and put the pictures in a row, you'll be surprised!
    - invest in a scale that measures body fat %. Your weight in pounds might not change a lot* but your fat percentage may go down significantly (which is what you want).

*When you work out, you will be gaining lean muscle mass (be sure to get more than enough protein!!) and losing fat, thus losing inches. However, since a square inch of muscle weighs significantly more than a square inch of fat, you might see inch loss and very little pound loss, no loss or even gain. Do NOT be disappointed by a number on the scale. Also, the weight on the scale depends on liquids, solids etc and can easily fluctuate between 2-5 pounds.
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Is this the first time you've weighed yourself in three weeks? If so, it could be that the initial 150 was a low fluctuation, and today's weight was unusually high for some reason.

I'd keep going as you are, and make adjustments in a couple weeks if you still see no progress.

I recommend daily weigh-ins, with a huge caveat: you need to do some math to find the difference between your actual weight loss and the daily fluctuations, which are much larger.

Your weight fluctuates depending on water, salt, and fiber intake, and other factors having nothing to do with calories. Using an exponentially weighted average can help you filter out the noise and focus on the trend, as John Walker explains in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). The chapter on "The Rubber Bag" explains, briefly, the source of these fluctuations. The chapter on "Signal and Noise" explains how some simple math can filter them out. Walker explains how to do the math, but you can also set up a free account on his server to do it for you, or use a service like Beeminder or TrendWeight.com.

A final point to consider is that the formulas that most HRMs use were developed based on steady-state cardio exercise and are inaccurate for activities that involve discontinuous effort. Those that use Firstbeat's technology are allegedly better at estimating calories expended in discontinuous efforts.

I use the weight diary app on my phone. I insert my weight (and fat %) every day and beyond fluctuations it will actually show a trend line, which is very important.
  • millsrobm
    millsrobm Posts: 62 Member
    Are you using the heart rate monitor to measure calories burned during strength training? If so, the calorie burns will be very overestimated. Heart rate monitors can only (semi) accurately track calories during steady state cardio exercise. This could be why your deficit isn't as high as you think it is.
  • layla_luvyah
    layla_luvyah Posts: 107 Member
    You need to keep pushing yourself, regardless of what the scale tells you. I'm in the same boat....1200 calories, I log every thing down to gum. I will continue not giving up. We are all here for one another, there are some great advice on the blog. Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    took me 6 weeks before the scale started going in the right direction when I first started. Tweaking the calories to be sure you are in a deficit may be necessary, but I'd say a bit premature at this point. Stick with the plan for a bit longer before you start tweaking too much. Sometimes it takes our bodies some time to get with the program!
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Don't just rely on a scale! Scales can be deceiving!!!

- Take tape measurements weekly. And keep track of those.
    - Take bikini pictures weekly (front and both sides). This will show you your progress! Download a free collage app on your phone and put the pictures in a row, you'll be surprised!
    - invest in a scale that measures body fat %. Your weight in pounds might not change a lot* but your fat percentage may go down significantly (which is what you want).

*When you work out, you will be gaining lean muscle mass (be sure to get more than enough protein!!) and losing fat, thus losing inches. However, since a square inch of muscle weighs significantly more than a square inch of fat, you might see inch loss and very little pound loss, no loss or even gain. Do NOT be disappointed by a number on the scale. Also, the weight on the scale depends on liquids, solids etc and can easily fluctuate between 2-5 pounds.

Yes!! This!! I understand that its frustrating and that we've been taught that the scale is the end all/see all, but its really not. Also, are you getting enough protein? I looked at your diary and I'm not really sure that you are. Your body need protein to help break down the fat and build more muscle. If you're working out 5 times a day, you need that protein.

Like someone else suggested... try making a change somewhere in your diet. Either increase or decrease your calories by 100-200, and wait a week or two to see if there's a change. If you're still getting nowhere (or if you're too frustrated to wait) go to a doctor.

Also, I'd just like to point out, that 150 is nothing to sneeze at. It's possible that your body is comfortable with this weight and that in order to lose any more, you'll have to go into more direct training/dieting. IE: Only protein and vegetables, no sugars, very little carbs. You should definitely see a professional before taking that route though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    If your boobs are bigger, you've likely "gained" a little from the BC. (5-10LBS maybe). If that's the case, then it IS working. You've offset those extra hormone pounds. Keep going!

And no, you don't need to skip breakfast. There's no reason to. Not sure why that's his solution to every problem, probably even the economy and climate change.:tongue:
  • I am beating myself because I started 3 weeks ago. There is no change in my weight, and I am attempting to eat at least 1200 calories a day. I do 3 cardio days and 3 cardio/weight days, and nothing. My problem is, the calorie thing says I am not eating enough. I eat 6 bloody times a day, include dairy, meat and veggies. I do have a cheat day, do to running around and paying bills, but as of this morning, that is cut out. I won't give up. I originally started this journey at 245, now I am at 208. I found my fitness at 212 pounds. IS there ANY suggestions. I am at a loss as to what to do next. I am 5'4" and weigh 208. I am 48 years old and I do take supplements, Centrum, calcium, iron and Iodine. I just found out I am Iodine deficient but my thyroid is fine. Please Help.
  • stephaaniemarie
    stephaaniemarie Posts: 28 Member
    If you feel leaner, maybe you've put on muscle. It can take a while for your body to adjust to a new routine. When I started seeing a trainer, she told me not to weigh myself for four weeks, because I probably wouldn't see results until after that point.