6 slices of ham...

Options
DID U GUYS KNOW THIS **** IS1800 calories alone!

Replies

• cnb165
    cnb165 Posts: 9
    Options
    Makes me wanna rethink Christmas dinners
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    How BIG are the slices? You must be cutting them an inch thick.

Unglazed ham is only 40 cals per ounce. You aren't supposed to eat the entire ham at once.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    :huh:

Do you mean like slices from an actual large ham or 6 slices of deli ham? If it's the latter, way wrong. Not sure where you got that info.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    3 ounce slices? Makes sense.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

At 40-45 calories per ounce, that's more like 7-oz. slices! In other words, 6 ham steaks have 1800 calories...
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I like ham.
  • Americannabis
    Options
    Good thing I hate ham then.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    And this my friends is why a food scale is important...Your version of a slice and my version of a slice could be very difference ... hence yielding very different calories counts. So to the woman that asked yesterday why people WEIGH their food...Here you go!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    who cares about the calories, the sodium would be a week's worth!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

At 40-45 calories per ounce, that's more like 7-oz. slices! In other words, 6 ham steaks have 1800 calories...

Who eats 45 ounces of ham in one meal?? :noway:
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Ummm. According to the USDA, a 28g slice has 46 calories. 6 28g slices has 274 calories. Are you sure you're not cutting an entire ham into 6 equal pieces?
  • MB_Positif
    Options

Who eats 45 ounces of ham in one meal?? :noway:

Whoever thinks it is 1800 calories must be!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected. I had ham for dinner and logged 122 calories for 2 ounces. So it would have to be 5 oz. slices. I'm seeing some other numbers here and thinking my entry was even too high!
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Ummm. According to the USDA, a 28g slice has 46 calories. 6 28g slices has 274 calories. Are you sure you're not cutting an entire ham into 6 equal pieces?

I just actually had spit fly out of my mouth when I laughed over this. I :heart: you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Highly doubtful unless you're talking huge slices.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    20101215-ham-tasting-country-whole-glazed.jpg

Add a couple pieces of bread and we've got a lovely sandwich yeah?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected. I had ham for dinner and logged 122 calories for 2 ounces. So it would have to be 5 oz. slices. I'm seeing some other numbers here and thinking my entry was even too high!

It depends on how lean the ham is, whether it has water added in processing, etc. Check out the USDA database to see the variation: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    What kinds of "slices" are they??!
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This exemplifies my single biggest problem with the (otherwise invaluable) food database: just what the hell is a "slice"?

For some things, it's easy because there is an informal standard. A slice of toast looks and weighs pretty much the same everywhere (in this country). But a slice of ham? The difference in size and weight and therefore calories between two random slices could be an order of magnitude (10x).
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    uh, no