Breakfast

Options
Any ideas for a decent breakfast. I am particularly hungry in the morning after dropping my youngest to nursery. I have been having porridge which does the trick, but despite trying to stick to 1200 cals, I haven't lost this week. I think my carb intake is on the high side. Any suggestions greatly appreciated..

Replies

• jcorpern
    jcorpern Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't about carb intake, or fat intake, or fiber intake or protein intake. Whilst the proportion of your macros might make a great deal of difference to your overall health, the only thing that matters in weight loss is a calorie deficit. Calories taken in must be less than calories burnt.

Get a food scale and weigh everything you eat. You'd be surprised at how many hidden calories can jump in. check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

There's actually a study that was done by a Doctor where he restricted his diet to 1800 calories/daily of twinkies. Guess what? He lost weight! If you take in fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. Having said that, for your body's health, it's important to get the right macro and micro nutrients. A diet that's low in fat and added sugar/salt, with plenty of veg and fruit and low fat protein (especially oily fish) will make a positive contribution to your health, but it has nothing at all to do with weight loss. Calories is the bottom line.

Oh, and my favourite breakfast? Whilst I'm a fan of porrige (Love it!) , I also love wheatabix with almond milk. 1 Biscuit of wheatabix with 100ml of sweetened almond milk (24kcal for 100 ml) is under 100 calories and carries me quite nicely to lunch.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its what you add to your breakfast instead of a complete change, why not add some chopped banana and nuts to your porridge? Honey and sunflower seeds? Banana and peanut butter or nutella? It's these additional ingredients that will keep you fuller for longer and are far more satisfying things to eat. Good luck!
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If your breakfast isn't keeping you full, maybe you should have some protein. A poached or boiled egg with crispbreads or a slice of wholemeal toast isn't too high and would keep you fuller longer.
  • skald98
    Options
    Don't worry too much about carbs from something like oatmeal, cereal or porridge. It's a purely beneficial breakfast and 1/2 of dry oats in water or milk with a piece of fruit is possibly one of the best breakfasts you can start a day with.

Assuming the rest of your day is just as healthy the only thing you can do is increase your exercise to really shock the body and get it humming again. Otherwise it's the trial and error of decreasing or increasing your portions to get past the plateau. 1200 calories is a tough target to do every single day. so keep a really diligent and honest food journal

Most of all just keep moving
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    For me most of the time its protein shake. I don't feel hungry when I wake up and the canteen at work sells crap so its a good way of boosting my protein levels
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    First off, 1200 calories seems quite low for someone with only 14 lbs to lose, although I don't know your height and what your starting weight is. If you gained at this calorie level, are you weighing and measuring everything you eat, even fruit?

I tend to go for porridge oats most of the time, normally the microwave ones that come in at 220 ish calories per serving with 180 mls of milk. Some days this keeps me going until lunch other days it doesn't. On the days it doesnt I will snack on carrots or a few grapes as I find them filling without cutting into the calories too much.

My alternatives are:

Baked Beans on wholemeal toast - great for fibre and good on protein as well, very filling

Scrambled eggs often with a couple of rashers of bacon

An omelette packed with veggies (a bit more time consuming)

Sometimes I will even have some smoked fish for breakfast although thats not everyone's cup of tea
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I usually make egg white omelets with a bunch of veggies -- red onion, tomato, mushroom, spinach. Nothing smells better than the veggies sauteeing in the pan. A pretty large omelet is only about 60-75 calories. Add some black coffee and I'm good for the morning and it's really low carbs and almost no fat.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I like greek yogurt with some meusli and/or berries.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I added mixed nuts to my porridge, only 10g, and i noticed the difference, wasn't getting hungry as quickly, or a banana is great.

You can still have carbs! I have whatever I fancy for breakfast, just in moderation. The other day i had sausage, toast, beans and an egg and it was only about 400 calories, but choosing the right foods/products and the right portion is key.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a half a toasted bagel with 1/2 oz. cream cheese, 1 oz. smoked salmon, a few slivers of red onion, some capers and a squeeze of lemon. I have it with a green smoothie (fruit and greens).

I also love veggie and cheese filled omelets. Mushrooms, spinach and sharp cheddar is delicious.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I try to alternate my breakfast. 1 day protein and next day carbs. I also have a good recipe for Spinach Quiche which I make and freeze in individual portions. I try to keep variety so i don"t get bored with my foods. I keep looking for recipes to make ahead and freeze in individual portions. My husband eats some of my recipes but not all of them.