Stuff that MFP has helped me to put on my banned list

Options
Rosie_McA
Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
Due to health reasons I have to keep close attention to my weight and until now I have had to do this alone. People just thought that I was skinny so what was the problem? Try living with constant pain and see how much fun it is.
This resulted in continued cycles of weight loss and gain. Hope to fix that now that I'm here.

Anyway, if nothing else MFP has already assisted me in removing the following from my regular diet:

Dried figs - how many calories?
Dates - ditto.
Alcohol - never mind the calorific content, I don't really need the stuff.
Croissants and Petit pain au chocolat - bad breakfast and I'm always still hungry afterwards.
Cheesecake - love the stuff but those thousands of calories can be better used elsewhere.
Lindt chilli chocolate - well maybe just the occasional square.

Of course I knew that these items were never going to be like eating celery or courgettes, but it only really hit home when I saw the damage on my MFP daily log.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Happy to be your friend. Add me if you like.
  • sewwy
    sewwy Posts: 21
    Options
    I feel you with the alcohol and the croissants. Unfortunately, I love a glass of wine with dinner, and have found it hard to drop.

You're welcome to add me as a friend if you want :)
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Anyway, if nothing else MFP has already assisted me in removing the following from my regular diet:

Dates - ditto.
    Croissants and Petit pain au chocolat - bad breakfast and I'm always still hungry afterwards.
    Cheesecake - love the stuff but those thousands of calories can be better used elsewhere.

Of course I knew that these items were never going to be like eating celery or courgettes, but it only really hit home when I saw the damage on my MFP daily log.

You must be my twin! Alcohol and cheesecake are my enemies!:sad: It is amazing how much you will learn from your daily log.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

Dates - ditto.
    As long as you're not saying "I'll NEVER eat (X) again...." it's fine to make certain things treats (like the Lindt chili chocolate) rather than everyday items. But if you are ditching things you love for the sake of bringing down your overall calorie count, in the longterm you're gonna eventually cave and binge on them. If you LOOOOOOVE it, find a way to make it fit in your calorie count here and there. I don't eat doughnuts every day and I realize they're a "calorie suck"....but if I want one, I find a way to make it happen...exercise after, lighter dinner that day, whatever.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    MFP has helped me put nothing on the banned list.

Instead I just have a very long list of 'You can eat this occasionally if you really feel like it, but you have to be able to fit it into your daily calorie goal'
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I've actually found the opposite is true for me. Since joining I've learned that a serving of cheese it's is huge, and I can nibble away at it throughout my day (I count out 25 and put them in a bowl on the kitchen counter). I have also learned that three or four carrot sticks on my way out the door is enough to keep me going until lunch, and that Kellogg makes a pretty killer protien bar.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not saying "I'll NEVER eat (X) again...." it's fine to make certain things treats (like the Lindt chili chocolate) rather than everyday items. But if you are ditching things you love for the sake of bringing down your overall calorie count, in the longterm you're gonna eventually cave and binge on them. If you LOOOOOOVE it, find a way to make it fit in your calorie count here and there. I don't eat doughnuts every day and I realize they're a "calorie suck"....but if I want one, I find a way to make it happen...exercise after, lighter dinner that day, whatever.

That's a valid point and knowing myself it would be futile to say "never again!".
    My banned list really just comes down to stuff that I enjoy but can certainly manage without (especially with the calories involved).
    As has been pointed out, at least knowing the hit a certain treat incurs can help me decide whether to abstain or not.
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Due to health reasons I have to keep close attention to my weight and until now I have had to do this alone. People just thought that I was skinny so what was the problem? Try living with constant pain and see how much fun it is.
    This resulted in continued cycles of weight loss and gain. Hope to fix that now that I'm here.

I have similar issues, I have a rare autoimmune rheumatoid disease & am in pain everyday, and the weight goes up & down a bit. MFP has been a huge savior for motivation & information. Feel free to add me.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I haven't put anything on a banned list, but I am much, much more aware of the caloric and nutritional content of pretty much everything I love to eat. Really helps to make smarter choices.
  • mrahmann
    Options
    What your saying I have to get rid of cheese cake? arg.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Instead I just have a very long list of 'You can eat this occasionally if you really feel like it, but you have to be able to fit it into your daily calorie goal'

this
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I don't have a banned list. I do have an occasional list or a smaller portion list.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

this

this
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

this

this

tumblr_m85bw9fGtf1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When you are cutting at 3400 calories, you can eat anything you want in moderation ;) just sayin.
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "banned" list per se, but MFP has helped me realize that there are some foods that just aren't worth it to me. Like I'm not a big donut fanatic, but I would eat them occasionally. When I realized how many calories were in them, I decided they weren't worth it. Might as well use my calories on foods I really love...
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean I have fibromyalgia and do much better and have less pain when I follow the paleo diet. I don't eat dairy, gluten or any grains. At the moment I am also not having sugar, alcohol and anything processed. I know it sounds miserable but I am enjoying eating this way, it takes more thought and planning but most things I cook are delicious. Also the health benefits far outweigh the negatives. And I am pain free (almost apart from DOMS). You can add me if you want to.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I have not banned anything, but MFP has helped me become aware of high calorie foods and how to make choices so I can occasionally enjoy anything I want within moderation.

MFP has truly empowered me to take control.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have banned from my diet due to an increased food awareness brought on my MFP is cauliflower pizza, cauliflower brownies, cauliflower cheese sticks, etc. Oh, and roasted brussel sprouts. Sorry, just not diggin' that. But I do eat them the old-fashioned way, steamed with butter and herbs.
  • ksparrows
    Options
    Jeeez, I guess I never really thought about how many calories are in Cheesecake. I've been thinking about cheesecake factory lately. Yikes. Maybe someday, but not anytime soon! lol