It's Saturday and I have NO MOTIVATION whatsoever.

Options
It's a beautiful Saturday morning, I've been awake for about 3 hours or so, and I have absolutely no motivation to go for a run or anything. It's like part of me wants to go out and exercise, but the other part wants to just lie around in bed all day. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get motivated?

Replies

• sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    put your shoes on go out your door and set your timer for 10 minutes.

tell yourself that if you want to quit when your timer goes off you can!

I bet you'll keep going :laugh:

ps I do this for lots of stuff...cleaning, laundry, mail/bills

I have to trick myself at times but hey whatever works :drinker:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    It is understandable that you feel the way that you feel. I have no idea if you had a tough work week or not. Just think about the end goal, how sexy your body will look if you just make the effort to do the right things, which include eating right and exercising. Just think how much better your life will be when you have that sexy body.
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was about to type in something motivating then I realized I'm sitting on my couch, drinking coffee and avoiding my own exercise. Some days it's just harder than other, but I know I'll feel great when its done.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Do you wake up and go to work every day because you're motivated? It's routine and a necessity.

Same with exercise.

Nobody can just be like

" OK! lets go doooo thiisssssssss gigidy"

Just have to man up and go
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    It is understandable that you feel the way that you feel. I have no idea if you had a tough work week or not. Just think about the end goal, how sexy your body will look if you just make the effort to do the right things, which include eating right and exercising. Just think how much better your life will be when you have that sexy body.

It's kind of funny that you would assume that she doesn't already have a sexy body. Maybe she does and maybe she doesn't. Could be that she has ran her butt off everyday this week and needs a break.

Could be that she is exercising to be heart healthy and not that concerned with the outside appearance.
  • SCV34
    Options
    It's a beautiful Saturday morning, I've been awake for about 3 hours or so, and I have absolutely no motivation to go for a run or anything. It's like part of me wants to go out and exercise, but the other part wants to just lie around in bed all day. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get motivated?

It's early in the day maybe you will feel differently this afternoon. Rest for now and get moving later on, the day is still young.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Funny you should bring this up. :-)

I was dreading going for my Saturday walk. It was cold, crazy windy, and snowing horizontally when I came back from the grocery store this morning. I put away the groceries and went out anyway, telling my husband I was only going to do a short walk because the weather was so nasty. I thought I'd just do a quick mile and come home, and maybe do some more later in the day if the weather improved. At least I would have gotten a mile in. But then I started walking, and I felt good about walking head-on into the wind and blowing snow. My eyes were tearing and my eyelashes felt like they were a little frozen. I kept on walking. I ended up doing 3 miles and the sun was out by the time I got home. I even jogged part of the way back just to see if I could do it. I may go back out later today once I get some chores done, but at least now I know I have 3 miles under my belt for the day.

My point is, even when you really don't feel like going, you should go anyway, just because it could end up being a really good workout.
  • SCV34
    Options
    Good for you Schlackity and great advice!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that the exercise counts twice as much when I don't feel like doing it. And in a way, it's true. 1. My body gets the workout. 2. My self-esteem gets an extra boost.
  • lyndasteve58
    Options
    Good luck, I am sure you will be ok once you actually move, which is what I should be telling myself ! I have that feeling every Saturday morning, especially after a hard week at work. At least you have a beautiful morning. not a cold and rainy one. :drinker: x
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's easier when it becomes habit. I just kept pushing myself out of the door until it became habit. So, today, I had plans to go out and see a film etc, but without even really thinking about it, I got into my workout gear and went and worked out, first. Took an hour out of my day, and I still had/have the rest of Saturday to enjoy.

There are still days when I might choose not to workout, usually if I'm overtired/depressed, or if my plan is to run outdoors and it's horrible weather out. (I am a bit of a fair-weather runner - one reason I joined a gym for the winter). If it's a beautiful day out though, not much would stop me going out and running in it!

When I really don't want to go out, I usually tell myself just to go for 10 minutes, and see how I feel. 99% of the time, I carry on for a full workout and feel much better for it.
  • Thank you for all of your suggestions and support, everyone! They really helped a lot. :)