im losing over 1/2 a kilo a day?!

Options
2»

Replies

• mondayrebel
    Options
    i dont plan to go back to carbs..... i dont have a great tolerance for them. so everyone seems to think i should up my calorie intake?? if i have more energy than normal, sleep well..... and do not feel hungry (im eating three big meals a day) plus a couple of snacks surely i dont need to up my calories?
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    Eventually the weight loss will begin to slow and you will either need to do more activity to lose weight or drop more calories. The body adapts incredibly well. But weight loss aside, i do fear for your physical wellbeing. Vital organs need a minimum amount of calories to function. You should consider reading the threads i posted. Food for thought. I wish someone had told me two years ago what I know now.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i dont plan to go back to carbs..... i dont have a great tolerance for them. so everyone seems to think i should up my calorie intake?? if i have more energy than normal, sleep well..... and do not feel hungry (im eating three big meals a day) plus a couple of snacks surely i dont need to up my calories?

Whenever you mention 'low' calories or extremely low ones, people freak out.

I, myself, don't eat as low as you because I do a lot of olympic/power lifting and plymetrics. I only eat, however, around 1900 - 2200kcal, which is quite low for the 2 + hours I put in daily of mobility/plyo/circuit/HIIT at 6 foot 245 lbs. I am losing at around 4-5kg/month.

In your case, you're not exercising. 1100kcal IS LOW; however, I don't sense from your response that you want to become an athlete, lift heavy weights, or walk/run a lot. You just want to be skinny.

In that case, what you're doing is fine, BUT

just like how your body will build resistance to antibiotics if you take it for too long, it will do the same if you eat at 1100kcal for a prolonged period of time.

You can eat at 1100 kcal , but force yourself to eat at your current 'maintenance' here and there.

For example:

1100kcal for 3 weeks... then 3kcal for 1 week.

1100kcal for 3 weeks... then 2900kcal for 1 week(since you lost a bit of weight)

**** eventually *****

1100kcal for 3 weeks... then 2300kcal for 1 week

**** then ****

2200- 2400kcal for 4 weeks and see if your weight fluctuates. Find out your maintenance.

IF you eat 1100kcal for say, 6 months, it will not be healthy and you will also have a high risk of 'rebounding' after all the weight loss.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    With only 30lbs to go I am guessing you would not be considered high BF%. Maybe high end of normal. You should be aiming for no less than 1800 Net at your height and weight.
    I am sure, even assuming you are in Keto, that at 1100 calories you are not getting enough fat and protein to spare your lean muscle mass.

at 6'3 and 115.8kg i have about 27.5% Body fat..... in ketosis you wont burn lean muscle until your about 15% body fat??

Where did you get that lovely piece of "bro-science"?

Are you lifting weights (or doing any sort of exercise) alongside this diet?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    its not an extremely low calorie diet at 1100.... im having 107 grams protein and around 70grams fat. most threads state 500 - 800 as extremely low??

That is nowhere near enough protein to spare you lean muscle. You should be aiming for 0.8 to 1.2 grams per lb of lean body mass. So at 253 lbs (115*2.2) 253*(1-0.275) you should be getting 147 to 220 grams of protein per day, and a minimum of 88 grams of fat (0.35*253). And in Keto these numbers are usually exceeded.

There is no way your body would be able to breakdown enough fat for you to make up the shortfall in cals, especially once you factor in a larger deficit due to exercise. The body can only access so much fat in a given time frame, the rest will come from muscle.
  • mondayrebel
    Options
    i walk around 2 miles a day.... do two runs a week of around 3miles each.

thats it.... no other excercise apart from working on the 7th floor with no lift so up and down 7 flights of stairs 2-3 times a day.

Surely if my body would tell me if it needed more?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    i walk around 2 miles a day.... do two runs a week of around 3miles each.

thats it.... no other excercise apart from working on the 7th floor with no lift so up and down 7 flights of stairs 2-3 times a day.

Surely if my body would tell me if it needed more?

No, your body won' t always tell you to eat more; for the most part, bodies tell you something is wrong after a lot of damaged has been done. Just think of cancer patients... they don't find they have cancel until there is really bad signs not when it first develops in their bodies.

Also, how do you think anorexics do it? The fact is, you lose lean body mass while in a catabolic state. It's part of the natural process. You help prevent that with protein and resistance training. For long term success, it's kind of irresponsible to suggest not to worry about muscle. Lean body mass is directly tied to your metabolic rate, bone density, immune system, etc... If you eat prolong periods of time at low calories, your RMR and BMR will adapt and burn a lot less calories. This in turn decrease your TDEE or maintenance calories. This is why most diets do not work for long term. Many, such as WW, will decrease calories significantly, so they keep making money. In turn as soon as you start eating a bit more normal or start tracking calories, you gain back since you now have a lower maintenance value. So edwardkim was right, your body is very adaptive, but if I was you, wouldn't you want your body to maintain at 3000 calories as opposed to 2200 calories? Wouldn't you wants strong bones, tissue, muscle fibers? I can tell you, I am 5'11, desk job, 186 lbs, 31 years old and exercise 5-6 hours a week and lose 1 lb per week. The nice thing about that, through all my weight loss periods and maintenance periods, my TDEE has never dropped below 3000 calories. So when I started at 220 to now, even if there was metabolic adaptation, my total daily energy expended maintain due to increased intensity for exercise.
  • missdelajay
    missdelajay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would say 1100 is way too low, even without exercise. 1200 should be the minimum. You will lose weight but you'll put your body in starvation mode. Plus, if you want to build muscle, diet is key. I have a trainer as a friend and she would kill me if I was only eating 1200 especially when I lift weights. If I don't do exercise that day, she said it's okay to stick to 1200.
    Anyways, happy logging!