any reviews on Daiya (from people who love cheese!)?

Options
abbyoncloud9
abbyoncloud9 Posts: 48 Member
It is looking like I may have to give up dairy products and I was wondering if anyone has tried daiya products. Either in recipes or by itself. Thanks!

Ps; I love cheese and I've tried alternatives in the past that were so nasty, I'd rather have nothing at all.

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    the strawberry cream cheese is awesome

the mozz/cheddar shreds are great melted into/onto stuff mmmm

the cheddar/havarti/jack blocks are super yummy

I have not had the slices yet or the pizza
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I tried it and hated it... :/ But I've heard mostly positive things from others, so maybe I'm a minority.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I love Daiya!

The shreds taste different than cheese from cows but they're good, they just might take some getting use to so I would use sparingly at first. They are good melted but I'm not a fan of them straight from the bag.

I prefer the wedges and slices, I use to them to make grilled cheese and they're amazing!

The pizza tastes exactly like regular pizza, even to my non-vegan friends.

Daiya is hands-down the best non-dairy option for cheese.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The strawberry cream cheese really is pretty amazing (I didn't care for the plain one though). And I like the cheddar slices - they melt like real cheese. A lot of dairy substitutes don't.

I thought the shredded mozzarella had kind of a funky taste, but maybe that was just me
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    It's delicious!

I love cheese and this is the BEST substitute that I've tried!!
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've yet to find a cheese substitute that isn't awful.
    It's best to go without and remember it fondly.

Can I ask why you have to give it up? Could you not just limit it to once a week/month?
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options
    I like Daiya cheese in some things, but not all things. The cheddar shreds make a mean quesadilla, in my opinion. But, I prefer making my own mozzarella from a recipe in a book titled 'The Non Dairy Formulary.' It's truly delicious.
  • abbyoncloud9
    abbyoncloud9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the input from everyone! Tried to reply earlier but still getting the hang of this :/ I am experimenting with giving up certain foods that may be triggering my migraines that I've had for over 7 years. Giving up dairy, I have gone from 3-4 migraines per week to none, so I think I'm on to something! After about 2 months, I am going to start experimenting with goat cheese, organic milk, etc to see if maybe I'm sensitive to the hormones or additives.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I made a great cheese sauce from the shreds, and mac'n'cheese. They are good when melted. I used sparingly or for special occasions only because I try to avoid all processed foods. My family enjoyed the dishes I served at thanksgiving which both included daiya even though they are dairy and meat eaters.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I tried it and hated it... :/ But I've heard mostly positive things from others, so maybe I'm a minority.

Ditto. I've only tried the shreds, but found it very gritty compared to the Trader Joe's brand soy cheese we use at home often.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I really like it! However I would recommend only using it in small amounts. I made a pizza with waaay too much on there, and it just tasted nauseating. a little goes a lonnnnggg way.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I like it. I use it because I'm lactose intolerant. If you use it expecting it to taste like your usual cheese I think you'll be disappointed. but if you approach it as an alternative, something entirely different you might like it.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I had it once on a pizza and the texture left a lot to be desired. :( It was kind of slimy, and the salty flavor overpowered the other tasty vegetables I put on there. But then again, I'm not really a pizza fan.

I would give it another try though. On a different food probably, like an omelette.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Daiya is a bit of a pain in terms of sodium content. I used to eat one or two slices regularly (in a sandwich) and liked all the sliced varieties.

The shredded variety is good too, but I use it so infrequently that it usually goes bad before I finish it so I've stopped buying it for the time being.

Daiya also makes a pre-made vegan pizza which is very good, if you can find it.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the replies and I gave up dairy about a week and a half ago due to being allergic (not intolerant). I miss pizza!
  • planetqueenie
    Options
    Daiya is really delicious, in fact I prefer the taste to real cheese. It's the only cheese alternative I have ever tasted and I really don't feel the need to try any other. I figured out dairy hurts me so this brand makes a great alternative when you just really crave that melty cheesiness. go get some you'll like it! Even my 5 year old loves it, she'll say " oh my god, is that the fake cheese? Can I have it!!!!??" haha