What's your favorite stationary bike workout?

Options
I'm a naturally born, and raised runner, but post-college, I'm not trying to get into other methods of cardio.

I get bored easily, because I'm used to running outdoors. One stationary bike workout that I do that keeps me enthused is:

5 minutes warm-up
20 minutes of one minute very intense, one minute recovery
5 minutes cool-down

It's only 30 minutes and it burns a lot of calories.

I'm trying to find other good workouts online but can't seem to find any. Does anyone have other suggestions? I'm not a fan of the pre-set workouts.

Thanks!

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I just do whatever keeps my heart rate over 60% max on my HRM, I'd be interested in hearing some ideas too!
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The machine at the gym I go to has different programs to choose from. I do the one that is a personal trainer and it switches from going 60-80 rpm to 100 rpm. I do that for 12-15 min. usually along with the elliptical.
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I bought some Spinerval DVD's...they're awesome!! :bigsmile:
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just take a spin class and burn well over 600 cals per session.

The instructor keeps you motivated and I work harder in a group. Good luck!
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    These are additional interval training programs. You can use them with any cardio:

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/find-a-workout/summer-challenge-podcasts/article/7f08627a395a9110VgnVCM20000012281eac____

Just a warning, the 40-minute Pyramid podcast cuts off at 30 minutes.
  • markymark39
    Options
    have you tried a spinning class? usually 45-60 minutes of varying intensity...great workout.
  • buckeyeheat
    buckeyeheat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found if I crank it hard on just the first 20, that making to a full 60 is easy. I do my first 20 minutes at 85%-90% of HRmax (in the 160s for me), then bring it down to about 80% (150s) for 20 minutes, which feels like I'm not even trying because after the first 20, it doesn't take much effort to keep my HR up there. Then I start to play in the last 20, sometimes doing 2 minute intervals or whatever I feel like, because again, it's easy to keep the HR up at that point in the workout. 500-700 calories.
    Now I don't know if this is the best, but it works to get me through the 60.
  • Krimicri
    Options
    I take a book and go about 85-90 RPM at level 6 for 45-50 mins on the recumbent bike (unless I'm really into my book, then I keep going til I feel like stopping). Burns around 350-400 calories. I love to read and it distracts me and keeps me from staring at the clock the entire time, and before I know it my time is up.
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    have you tried a spinning class? usually 45-60 minutes of varying intensity...great workout.

I haven't yet. I work part-time at a gym so I enjoy the free membership but the age-range is...slightly higher than my own (okay, twice my age). I'm hesitant to join a class with such a different fitness level than my own!
  • Rachaely
    Options
    I take a book and go about 85-90 RPM at level 6 for 45-50 mins on the recumbent bike (unless I'm really into my book, then I keep going til I feel like stopping). Burns around 350-400 calories. I love to read and it distracts me and keeps me from staring at the clock the entire time, and before I know it my time is up.

Krista your before and after pictures are amazing! Way to go! That is so motivating!!
  • Krimicri
    Options
    Krista your before and after pictures are amazing! Way to go! That is so motivating!!

Thanks so much! I feel like a new person :)
  • markymark39
    Options
    that's the great thing about spin class - you can tailor the workout to your own level by varying the restistance. a good instructor alos helps. try it and see if it works for you.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not as in shape as you are, but I like to do interval workouts. First, I hop on the stationary bike and do one minute at a "tough" resistance setting, then one minute where I back off two resistance settings. Then I go back to tough, but I increase it by one, then back up to wherever I feel comfortable. I keep pushing it for ten minutes.

Then, I like to hop off and do a set of weightlifting and ab work, then I hop back on and do the same thing. I flip flop between the bike intervals, and the weightlifting for a half an hour, then do an easygoing cool down.

It seems a bit all over the place, but all the exercise information that I read says that intervals are best.

Shannon
  • Rachaely
    Options
    I'm probably not as in shape as you are, but I like to do interval workouts. First, I hop on the stationary bike and do one minute at a "tough" resistance setting, then one minute where I back off two resistance settings. Then I go back to tough, but I increase it by one, then back up to wherever I feel comfortable. I keep pushing it for ten minutes.

Then, I like to hop off and do a set of weightlifting and ab work, then I hop back on and do the same thing. I flip flop between the bike intervals, and the weightlifting for a half an hour, then do an easygoing cool down.

It seems a bit all over the place, but all the exercise information that I read says that intervals are best.

Shannon

That sounds fun! Maybe I will try something like that tonight. My gym gets packed so it's hard to get off the bike and go back and have it be empty! But no one works out on Fridays but us crazies :) Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Well, if the bike is taken, just alternate with another piece of equipment. I think some hardcore cardio fans think I'm nuts, but the varation is great for my body. It'll never get used to my workouts.*LOL* I pretty much do whatever I feel like, as long as it's cardio and weightlifting my arms/legs. I do upper on one day, lower on another.

Shannon
  • kathyrpa
    Options
    I just started this week using a stationary bike, love the fact there is different programs so I can do something different, I usually walk 3-5 miles every morning (every other day I wear a 20 lbs weighted vest) but its been raining and cold.. so I pulled it out and dusted it off... ive been tripling my miles on bike like someone told me on here, so Im doing 12-15 miles on bike on a level 5-9 it changes for resistance burn about 350-400 calories in 58 minutes.. I hope it works.. I'll let you know..!! I also do 20 minutes of turbo jam cardio/boxing/kickboxing wearing the weighted gloves and Im trying to do weights more regularly.. hope that works also.. I'll let you know!!!!!!!!!!