help with running!

Options
Hi everyone!

I was hoping someone could give me tips or advice for my running issues. I've been trying to run since last year. I've signed up for my 3rd 5k for April and by that time I want to be a better runner then I am now. Before the new year I could only run 10 minutes without giving up and walking. This year I was able to push it to 20 minutes straight which I'm very proud of! However.....it's the most painful 20 minutes ever. I use an inhaler to help with my breathing difficulties when I run but I find that my ankles hurt while I run and my feet go slightly numb after a while. I'm pretty sure my shoes are the right ones. Could it be anything else? Please help! I can't have this stopping me!

Thanks so much!

Lisa

Replies

• jgetzler
    Options
    It sounds like your shoes. Did you go to a running store and have them evaluate you? That would be the best thing. YOur feet shouldnt go numb. I have run a half marathon and I never had that problem. Good shoes will make your running much more enjoyable!
  • leftylisa21
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice! I've never had my shoes fitted. I'll have to do that. Thank you!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If your feet are going numb, it may just be that you have tied them too tight. Try loosening the laces a bit and see if that helps - and getting fitted is a good idea as well.

Sounds like you've been running for a bit, but are still struggling - maybe try the c25k program? And you could probably start in the 3rd or 4th week, and then just go from there. It's a great combo of running/walking that will build you up to running 30 minutes without stopping.

And if any part of it is painful, maybe just slow down a bit. Slow running is still running - speed will come with time.

Good luck!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Check your shoes. Slow down. Don't be afraid to walk. Some programs advocate it. You can also take "preemptive" walk breaks that you schedule to keep you from "needing" to walk. 5/1 or 10/1 (run/walk) are what I'm doing right now, depending on how fast I'm running. There is no shame in walking.
  • leftylisa21
    Options
    Thanks Amy and Jenn! I tried C25k when I first started running and I found it was too hard so I may try that again now that I'm training more. When I can push to 20 minutes it's at a slow pace. I'm frustrated that after all this time I can't get past 20 minutes without so much pain. Thanks for your input!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Jen and Amy are giving you good advice. Get fitted for shoes and try the couch-to-5k program. And, slow down. There's no need to go faster if it hurts you.
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to run too fast and too hard at first. This was my problem when I started. Start out slow and easy (even if it feels like you are barely moving). Work on your breathing techniques, in through nose and out through your mouth (or whatever works for you). You can Google running breathing techniques. My best advice is to start out slow and push yourself a little further each time. I hope this helps.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Do not wear cotton socks, blister city. Get some polyester socks and running tights.

Also get fitted for shoes, you want them a little loose. I had to go to the men's section and wear 2 sizes bigger than most of the shoes I own.
  • JMRod
    JMRod Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for proper running shoes...best money I ever spent! Also, once I started running with my new shoes, I noticed my toes hurt after running. I looked up possible solutions, and found that there were different ways to lace your shoes for certain problems (http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/custom-tie-your-running-shoes). I relaced my shoes and I no longer have any issues.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said about running shoes! Also when you are beginning to run, you may want to slow your pace down- you can run further when you aren't out of breathe and as you get good at that, you can then work on increasing your speed.

Also, try running outside here and there, it breaks it up better- find a good play list and listen to your body
  • mrsbuckwheat
    mrsbuckwheat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are wearing running socks. It sounds silly but when I wear regular cotton ones my feet ache and fall asleep- the running ones are a different fiber, thinner and compress your feet. Honestly they make a big difference! Also, I agree with going to a running store to be fitted. They will watch you run and match you with the proper shoes. They may also give you some tiips regarding the way you run;)
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Are you running on concrete and asphalt? You might try to find some trails or dirt roads and see if that feels better to run on.

I also agree with the suggestions to get running shoes fitted and possibly buy larger than your normal size. I wear a women's size 9 in regular shoes, but my running shoes are 10 1/2 and have been for over 10 years.