Ideal Protein is Starvation?

Options
I'm interested in ideal protein, but after looking through the phase I meal plans & their own foods, it basically seems like an under 1000 cal low carb diet. I see people losing double digit weight in a month, and it's no wonder.

I currently weight train 3x a week and I think trying to follow IP wouldn't be a wise idea - but I'm looking for input

Replies

• PamRenard
    PamRenard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can only do low intensity exercise while on IP.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Less than 1000 calories?

533.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Sounds stupid....

I'm a 5'10" oldish (pushing 40) male...I lost weight easily and steadily eating around 2200 calories gross. There is no reason any man who is not extremely obese should be eating 1000 calories. Weight training would be a complete waste of time eating like that...you'd just be burning up your muscle anyway.
  • TerracaFit
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been on IP for the past couple months and have successfully released 20lbs. I started weight training using the nautilis machines and incorporated low impact aerobics (walking/running) on week 6. You'll want to consult with your IP coach and I'd suggest listening to your body. When I spoke with my coach she suggested I could begin training with free weights and we'll make adjustments as needed (perhaps adding an extra 'unrestricted' IP meal).

Work with your coach and they'll advise you on what's the best approach.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in ideal protein, but after looking through the phase I meal plans & their own foods, it basically seems like an under 1000 cal low carb diet. I see people losing double digit weight in a month, and it's no wonder.

I currently weight train 3x a week and I think trying to follow IP wouldn't be a wise idea - but I'm looking for input

Ummm..why are you trying to eat under 1000 cals again? For how long? Is this a daily thing or more like IF? If it is daily and for a longer period of time, this doesn't sound healthy or sustainable.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    That's just for breakfast, though, right?
  • justsarah07
    justsarah07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's a program that works for a lot of people. It requires maintenance once you reach your goals because it's very easy to gain weight when not watching your carbs. The products are very expensive and loaded with preservatives. After watching a friend go through this and then another session after gaining 10#, I feel that a low carb, high fat, no grain lifestyle diet works better and is healthier.
  • andrejkal
    Options
    This is what the phase I of this "diet" entails. You're supposed to follow this until you get to your desired weight.

I've been weight training for 4 months now, and I have no plans of giving that up. It seems like IP is out of the question and I'm better to stick to 1500-2000 calories, high protein, rather than attempting this diet