Frustrated and Could Use Advice

Hello everyone! I have managed to put on 20 pounds over the past couple years with moving to a new country and enjoying all the wonderful food. I enjoy running, pilates, and hiking, and I never stopped exercising.

I've started really trying to get the weight off. I logged everything, ate under 1200 with exercising most days, and the scale did not budge. I could not believe it!

Admittedly, I've had about a day a week when I've eaten a lot of calories and relaxed. My husband tells me that even that one day blow-out is sabbataging my efforts the rest of the week. On those days, I eat around 3-5K calories. But I am a runner, and IMO between dieting and exercising, I should (or I hope!) be seeing some results by time. I run 20-25 miles a week.

I had a few questions: any advice for how I can keep at it? I find it hard to keep going if I am not seeing results. I was also wondering if drinking lots of water really helps? I drink a lot after I run, but I could be a lot better the rest of the day. I've read a lot about how drinking a lot can help control weight. I'm also wondering if hormones are kicking in, as I am 42. I may want to get tested for hormone levels.

I will make my diary public in case anyone wants to take a look.

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    I am guessing that the day that you are splurging you are eating all of the calories that you burned all week to lose weight. So if you have a deficit of 800 calories a day, you may be using those all in that one day.

Maybe giving yourself one cheat meal instead of a cheat day.

just a suggestion
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    If you're not losing, then you're not eating at a deficit. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly–everything, every day.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Frittycat
    Frittycat Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks so much for your comments so far! My husband also said the same thing -- instead of a day blow-out on my cheat, that I need to keep it to a meal. I'm thankful that I do enjoy exercising. I signed up for a half marathon in June and am going to make an appt. with a personal trainer to help me up my distances for training.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I'd bump up my calories by 100 so as not to need so much of a blow out. I'd also suggest tracking your cheat day/meal just for reference until you get a better sense of what enough feels like.
  • likitisplit
    Sigh. This is going to be such a boring thread.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    I wouldnt use a personal trainer for increasing your distance. Lookinto running clubs instead
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,710 Member
    you need to eat more! eating under 1200 calories is not good for anyone. calculate your TDEE and subtract 20% at most, and use that as your guide to start and adjust from there. or if you follow MFP set goals make sure you are eating back your exercise calories.
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    1200 calories is way too low....especially with the amount of cardio you are doing...
    Yes one higher calorie meal a week will help your metabolism, only if you metabolism is healthy to begin with......you should figure out what calories you require to maintain your daily activites and eat them! The running alone will put you in enough deficit to lose unwanted fat.
    If you are only eating 1200 then running as well...your net is way too low..your body will NOT burn fat or let any of it go...at most you will burn your muscle.
    I have done this....trust me it doesn't work....excessive cardio and low calories are bad news..
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I'm in my 30s, and my weight was stuck for about a year. I was running (a lot). I lost all of my baby weight plus some extra, but just got stuck.

I started logging food, and weighing it with a scale instead of measuring cups. I cut back on cardio and started strength-training. I also went from 2 cheat "days" down to 1. I've lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks! It's not muscle loss, it is fat. I had to buy new pants.
  • alexanderzamani
    alexanderzamani Posts: 25 Member
    There are a couple of things here that I think are the problem

1.) You're working out most days and eating 1200 calories a day, that seems way too low, have you calculated it properly? Eating too little can mess up your fat loss, especially with regular exercise.
    2.) Those 3-5k calorie days are probably undoing any progress in the first place.

basically, calculate your deficit properly and eat more, factor in your exercise. Cut out those binge days, I'm sure your cravings will balance out. Don't bother drinking a bunch of water, keep it simple for now, you're only overcomplicating things that way.
  • likitisplit
    The running is going to be between 2000 and 2500 calories a week. If she didn't eat back any of her exercise calories, she'd still be over by 2500 calories for the week after a 5000 calorie blow out. That might be most of her cut right there.

What's probably happening is that she's overestimating exercise and underestimating what she's consuming.

I would call a 25 mile base "excessive cardio". It's an appropriate level if you want to run 10ks or half marathons.
  • Frittycat
    Frittycat Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks so much for your thoughts/advice. This week, I will cut out the day-long blow-out and will do a much smaller cheat. I hope that the water intake helps me feel fuller so I won't be tempted to have a blow-out.