working out at home vs the gym

so ive started working out at home but lately find myself putting it off and just loosing motivation mostly bc i have the hardest floors known to man. so ive been trying to decide on whether or not to buy a small excersise machine so i can just do cardio - which is really what i want to to or joining a gym. if i have a machine i can do it when ever day or night or go to the gym thats right by my kids daycare before i go to school in the mornings but think i would still have my days when i put it off. what do you think would be my best bet?

Replies

• nicole595
    nicole595 Posts: 39 Member
    That's going tone different for everyone. It would depend if you think it will be easier for you to stop getting distracted or procrastinating at home, or to find the time to leave your kids to get to the gym (some gyms provide daycare for an additional charge). :)
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    I started with both, the gym for weights and wii for Zumba.. now I mostly do all my workouts at home.. you have to do what is going to motivate you the most.
  • dixeyk
    dixeyk Posts: 20
    I think the main advantage to a gym is people feel guilty for paying for it and not using it. I've worked out at the gym on campus (I get a cheap membership working there) and at home and I think it all depends on what you like and which will get you working out more regularly.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    I also do both. I have an elliptical trainer in my basement that I use when I don't have time to go to the gym or it's closed or it's late or whatever. I am also a member of a gym and I do there and use their trainers and other stuff.

Sometimes I go the gym a lot and sometimes I mostly work out at home, depending how busy I am and what's going on.

I will say this. I work out harder at the gym because there are other people there working out and I find that to be motivating. I also sometimes see people I know there and I like the social thing.

It's better if you have some options, something you can do at home if you can't get to the gym.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Do whichever way you will actually stick with. You need to be able to MAKE yourself do it, even when you are lacking motivation. Personally, I hate working out at home. I go to a gym that has childcare and I LOVE going there. I now dread my rest days instead of dreading workout days. Just find something you will stick with, and make yourself do it AT LEAST three times a week. 3 days used to be my minimum, now it's 4 but I usually go 5 days a week. This week was four due to stupid house problems :explode:
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Go to the gym, paying per visit, and see how often you really go.