Chocolate, My evil Nemesis.

Options
So I'm really trying to make better food choices, I'm monitoring what I eat. But I LOVE milk chocolate. I always crave something sweet, more often than not. I will try to substitute fruit when I can. But It's like a drug.

Example, Tonight I went out and picked up groceries, and there was the Easter candy already out. So I caved, and bought a bag of Hershey's Mini Eggies. Instead of doing what I would have done last year, grab a handful, eat them then go back for more. I counted out exactly 1 serving. And put the bag away. I'm really trying not to go back to the cupboard. Instead I'm posting,,, and having a cup of herbal tea.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this craving/addiction?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate so I eat it...but I am good with one serving...just self control.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I have switched to a good quality dark chocolate. It still fulfils my chocolate craving, but if I eat too much it starts getting too bitter
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I loved milk chocolate too, and ate way more than my share of it.

I just did not have any in the house for the first 3 months when I started. Then, I read a post here that you can still have things you love, just use moderation. I allow myself 1 piece of chocolate for staying within my calories for the day. I don't eat the recommended serving size, just one piece. Dove dark chocolate caramel Promises with sea salt are my favorite. Presently, I am working on a bag of Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt. These have only 38-40 calories per piece. I have to limit myself to 1, and no milk chocolate for me anymore. That is just the way it has to be for me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I loved milk chocolate too, and ate way more than my share of it.

I just did not have any in the house for the first 3 months when I started. Then, I read a post here that you can still have things you love, just use moderation. I allow myself 1 piece of chocolate for staying within my calories for the day. I don't eat the recommended serving size, just one piece. Dove dark chocolate caramel Promises with sea salt are my favorite. Presently, I am working on a bag of Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt. These have only 38-40 calories per piece. I have to limit myself to 1, and no milk chocolate for me anymore. That is just the way it has to be for me.

Good way to do it too..rewarding yourself...

I too wait till the end of the day...but for me one serving is usually one piece...Lidnt chocolate balls...*drools*
  • Nadoriel
    Nadoriel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I find space within my daily calories for it. There are times I don't really crave it at all, but when I do it's usually 2 or 3 squares at a time. I buy plain chocolate, milky or white. Even dark chocolate if I'm really needy. I just eat what I want and that's all xD Since it's within my calorie range I don't even feel guilty *.* Nice thing, chocolate is ^^ And eating sweets regularly is the best way to avoid binging on them carelessly.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    72% Ghiardelli Chocolate square with 1Tbsp of Nutella or 1 Tbsp of Creamy Peanut Butter (measured with a scale for accuracy) smeared on top. It turned into an evening treat I look forward to although sometimes I'll do two instead of one.... I've never been a HUGE milk chocolate fan... always liked darker chocolates.
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I can never limit my chocolate so i've just had to stop bringing it in the house. If im at someone elses house or out to eat, I will indulge a little, its easier to have self control when its other peoples chocolate lol
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm about to have a Quest bar and hoping it, along with a cup of tea satisfies my sweet tooth. I've been craving chocolate for over an hrs now.
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just get some pure dark chocolate if you're worried about it. No point to stress over it if you still are achieving your goals though.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate every day, but typically try for a 50-100 calorie serving to settle the craving. I keep it in the back of the car so I very deliberately have to go outside to get it!
  • deepthavinay
    Options
    Argh I can totally relate. Just had my quota of chocolate for the day.. I have 2 small squares everyday after lunch. I actually look forward to that more than my lunch. :p
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

You already dealt with it tonight. You CAN have what you want, but you have to be reasonable about it. It's truly all about moderation. And if you have a day where you go overboard, make up for it the next day. Put in that extra 20 minutes of exercise, eat lighter for the day. It takes a while to build new healthy habits.

Start slowly, like you did tonight. It's the best advice I can give. Go slowly, don't deny yourself, but allow for moderation.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to eat a block of chocolate without even thinking about it... now I allow myself two squares of really good quality dark chocolate a day, flavoured or unflavoured. I love Lindt or raw chocolate. You can learn to eat it in moderation, it just takes mindfulness and vigilance. I also can't stand the taste of milk chocolates now, too much sugar for me.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

You already dealt with it tonight. You CAN have what you want, but you have to be reasonable about it. It's truly all about moderation.

[...]

Start slowly, like you did tonight. It's the best advice I can give. Go slowly, don't deny yourself, but allow for moderation.
    Exactly - you've already done it. Now you just keep doing it like that until it becomes habit. You still have the psychological reward of eating the chocolate, and you have the reward of the satisfaction of not blowing your calorie count. It's win/win. It will be challenging until you've truly made it a habit, but then it will be much easier. I used to have the same problem, but I can now keep a lot of chocolate and cookies etc in the house (I actually still have a bit of a problem with impulse buying it!) and rarely crave more than fits into my daily goals.

If for some reason I end up with loads of calories left over, far more than normal, I might eat some extra chocolate, but to be honest, it doesn't feel right to eat masses of the stuff now, because it's no longer habitual. I usually choose to eat something else like some cheese, toast, or some nuts.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    let me help you out with that. send em to me! im a chocoholic, haha!
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I don't seem to have an off switch when it comes to chocolate.
    I have bought myself a bar of 70% dark chocolate, and have been allocating myself 1 square a night after dinner. So far so good...
  • Moxie67
    Options
    Chocolate is full of healful benefits if it is GOOD CHOCOLATE. Try to stick to dark chocolate, 65% or higher, and organic is best. If you are going to eat it anyway, make it count towards actually feeding your body. I'm a firm believer that chocolate was a gift from the Gods to feed the soul. :) Be careful with substituting fruit and fruit juice for your chocolate fix. They have far more sugars and high fructose corn syrup than even the cheep chocolate. A spike in blood sugar is bad for insulin levels and will create more cravings.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I like to allow for a regular sized Hershey bar which is 210 calories, that way I can fit it into my calories and still have the satisfaction of eating the whole thing, and when it's gone there's no more to reach for either lol