Squats!

Options
I always hear squats are great for your butt! So I've been doing squats like crazy but only my thighs are sore, am I doing them wrong?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily, watch some form videos and check your form. Also, if you are focused on your booty, add in hip thrusts. And check out Bret a Contreras.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Squats are great for your butt.. there are a few different types to do and variations... sumo, legs closed, back leg kicks with lift.. etc..
  • LaurenEllexx
    LaurenEllexx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Glute kickbacks are nice also!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    First thought is how deep are you going on your squats? If I don't crack parallel, I don't feel anything in my butt.

Also great for it are deadlifts and glute bridges.
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Lunges really hit dem glutes hard to
  • fitandskinnygal
    Options
    The reason your thighs are sore is because when you squat you're working your hamstrings as well.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Try static squats. Pile ones are great in the shower (hey you are not doing anything else when washing right? Your legs are just there doing nothing make good use of the time) and while doing a pile (without moving up and down) raise your heels off the floor to get your calf muscles working as well. It's utterly fantastic.

Static squats are brilliant cause then rather than thinking you are targeting your *kitten* you know you are cause you can feel it. Just hold it till you start to shake. Then hold it longer.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Females tend to be quad dominant naturally. It took me a while to really focus on my glutes & hamstrings.
    Focus on pushing from your heels and when squating stick your butt out like if you were to sit on a little chair.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Squats are a full body exercise, so they will work many other muscles, not just your butt! focus on the correct form, and make sure you concentrate on squeezing and activating those glute muscles!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Echoing the suggestion to drive from the heels, also, try to squat in "low-profile" shoes or even barefoot, if you workout at home or your gym allows it. I lift in Converse.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Go '*kitten* to the grass' on the squats so you're not mainly hitting your quads and lunges are great too (and glute bridges and hip raises)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    If done correctly, squats will work your entire lower body.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you going past parallel?

Are you using weights?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I need to do my squats "*kitten* to grass" low to really get the benefits. I love squats. Probably the single best exercise I've done for my lower body.
  • stephaaniemarie
    stephaaniemarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without seeing your form. I would say make sure you go as low as you can, drive up from the heel, and squeeze your glutes as you push up!
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've been trying squats and lunges more and my quads stay sore for two days after only a few! I think it's a matter of those muscles not being worked in that way very often. Mine are very weak! You'll get there!