How can I keep up my weight loss without becoming obsessed.

Options
Hi guys, what is the best way to keep up my weight loss journey without becoming obsessed to the point where it keeps me up at night. So far I seem to be doing a good job but lately I have been really adamant to the point where I feel just as bad if I over eat.

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I think in order to lose weight over a long period of time if needed one has to be s bit obsessed. It has never kept me up at night. It has made it difficult to sleep in cause I want to see my weight. No real advice. I find working out helps me sleep better so hopefully you won't have any issues with sleeping.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    well for me I have a cheat day where I eat whatever I want(I count for fun sometimes, but don't care if it's 6k cal)

I do this once every 8 - 10 days.

Keeps my energy level in check and also, it gets me ready for when I come off my diet and have to slowly incorporate 'other foods' into my diet.

I can't eat chicken breast and veggies for life or different variations of it...

For guys, 6 packs and bulging muscles are all good, but if you know how much effort it takes for those guys to maintain their form... it's obsessive.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    One day of overeating isn't what got you to the weight you're at and wont stop you from achieving the goals you've set so try not too beat yourself up! one thing I have found very helpful is looking at the full week rather than each day's goals. I can net 11,900 calories each week and still hit my goal of losing 1/2 a pound each week, so instead of trying to hit 1,700 calories every day I might have 1400 calories on a Monday and 2,000 calories on Friday but it balances out so I'm still within my limits. This way of eating more closely mirrors how you will eat in the future once you've reached your goals too :)
  • usamantha23
    usamantha23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    what really helps for me is just take it one pound at a time. if you over eat one day, just take it one day at a time and get back at it :)
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I tend to get obsessive over wanting cardio
    I have to force myself to work on strength training but I can't relate to going after a six pack. I just want to feel a little strong and tone up. I give myself a logging break for a day every few weeks to give myself a break from calorie counting.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    One day of overeating isn't what got you to the weight you're at and wont stop you from achieving the goals you've set so try not too beat yourself up! one thing I have found very helpful is looking at the full week rather than each day's goals. I can net 11,900 calories each week and still hit my goal of losing 1/2 a pound each week, so instead of trying to hit 1,700 calories every day I might have 1400 calories on a Monday and 2,000 calories on Friday but it balances out so I'm still within my limits. This way of eating more closely mirrors how you will eat in the future once you've reached your goals too :)

Exactly this. Same with me, I like to socialize/do things on weekends (dinner/casual drinks), so my kcal intake will be higher.

Thus, if I know I'll be having a heavy 'drinking' night due to my friends bachelor party, etc, I'll create a deficit by exercise and slightly more restrictive diet throughout the week leading up to the weekend. This way, I will be able to enjoy the little things in life.

Great point made !
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    With overeating, I feel like there's a simple (I said simple, not easy) solution. Avoid it, but if it happens, recognize it, own it, and then let it go. Tell yourself it's a part of your past, that you can't change it, but that you will use the experience and the connected feelings to guide you to better choices in the future.

I find that prelogging days makes me really happy and helps me to stick to my guns with my food choices. Sometimes I readjust when I have a sudden urge to cardio or my friends decide they want to go out/order in. The latter can entail some major rejuggling! And sometimes I readjust just 'cause I want to! Like today, my original planned snack was flatbread with almond butter. But then I went grocery shopping and brought home light wheat bread and Nutella. Really similar calorically, so that was an easy swap.

Do I feel a little obsessive fiddling around with my food recording? Sometimes. But it's pretty tame for me, and it generally doesn't keep me up at night. I have a whole other cohort of nonsense to keep me up at night...

Edited for me being a goof.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know when I figure it out ; ) Currently I'm experimenting with not weighing myself for a month so I don't focus on the number on the scale.
  • MrsMRo220
    MrsMRo220 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm completely obsessed with it. I need to be, or if will fall of track. Some people need to be. I have trouble sleeping sometimes cause I think about just everything, it's a lot, it's a major lifestyle change for me, so I'd imagine it would keep one up at night.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Have a long term goal of health and make a lifestyle
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you need to obsess in order for new habits to set fast. I spent 2013 obsessing about weight loss and fitness that now I feel ready to do this forever. I finally feel like I could maintain a healthy body on my own. For me, my obsession was really trying to overcome my lifetime of ignorance of how the body works and what is healthy. Sometimes obsession can be healthy.
  • rattleh3ad
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My journey is a little different that everyone else on MFP. I'm not exactly counting calories. I'm doing a mixture of counting servings, thintuition, and generally looking at the calories in various foods. I still eat beef patties, French fries, pizza, etc, but I now stop when I'm full. I also eat if I'm hungry. Getting in touch with my body's true hunger and fullness signals has been huge for me. All of this has helped me to not obsess and I feel great. Good luck on your journey.