Salad ideas :)

Options
Harro guys, i started this weight loss about 2 weeks ago and all my life people have told me to eat salad. Now here's the thing. I dont like lettuce. I dont like tomatoes and i dont like cucumber. Any ideas for salads that dont include those ingredients :3 Thankies <3

Replies

• topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    A salad I really like to make and just makes me feel good is spinach, spiced tuna and avocado. Really yummy for me. I know not every one loves avocado, but I hate salad dressing and needed something to replace to make the salad taste better.
  • jcnut21
    jcnut21 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been eating baby spinach salads with lite raspberry vinaigrette, fresh raspberries, and pecans. Then I add in either chicken or tuna. You could also add a little bit of reduced fat cheese if you want! It's very good and low calorie!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different kinds of lettuce? I like some better than others. Broccoli salad is one of my non-lettuce favs. For lettuce salad my fav is probably Fajita salad.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Use other veggies besides leafy stuff. Broccoli steamed and chilled with chunks of chicken and a cottage cheese dressing along with anything else you might like such as onion, garlic, bell pepper, black pepper, dill etc.
  • sharifit53
    sharifit53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try lettuce other than iceberg such as romaine or spinach. Add ingredients with substance that will make you feel full such as kidney or black beans, garbanzo beans (chick peas), and hearty vegetables such as broccoli, green pepper, celery, really anything if you like it. You can add mandarin oranges.

The biggest tip I can give you which really has helped me with salads, is to use cottage cheese (if you like it), in place of some or all of the salad dressing. It moistens the salad, adds protein and calcium at a lower calorie hit than dressing, and helps fill you up.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I made one last week with spinach, toasted pecans, roast pork loin, tart apples and a Raspberry walnut vinaigrette. Oh man! It was so good!
  • PebbleC
    Options
    Unfortunately i'm not able to stomach lettuce at all, just the texture makes me feel 'ill' :( these ideas are good though :3 i LOVE Avocado so yea sounds nommy :)
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The salad I love has tomatoes, but you can just omit them, obviously :) The rest of the ingredients are spinach, goat cheese, balsamic vinegar, peppers (red or green, but whatever you like the best), onions (red onions or green onions) and zucchini. Tastes awesome :)
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way when I've had a consecutive run of salad leaves and am craving for crunch. My go to:

- celery stalks
    - red onion
    - bell pepper
    - chickpeas
    - kidney beans
    - hard boiled egg
    - meat of choice

Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil and season with garlic salt & pepper. Yum!
  • catita1025
    catita1025 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat a daily salad with spinach, red, gold or yellow bell peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes. I know you said you don't care for tomatoes, but there are different varieties with slightly different tastes such as cherry or sunshine tomatoes - if you'd like to give that a try (or not)! :)

From there I may also add grated carrots or celery. Also, to make this a meal, you can add grilled chicken, or a can of salmon. I also have a low cal dressing on the side. It makes a great addition to my dinner. I also prefer spinach as lettuce just doesn't seem to fill me up!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Spicy Mexican Coleslaw
    Makes 8 servings

1 bag coleslaw mix
    1/3 cup chopped cilantro
    1/4 cup rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 Tbsp honey
    1/4 cup pickled jalapenos, chopped

Whisk vinegar, oil, salt, honey and jalapenos in a large bowl. Add cilantro and coleslaw mix; toss well to coat.

Grate carrots, toast some sunflower seeds, and toss with blueberries, olive oil, lemon juice and plenty of black pepper. Sweet, sour, crunchy, soft.

Cut cherry or grape tomatoes in half; toss with soy sauce, a bit of dark sesame oil and basil or cilantro. I love this — the tomato juice-soy thing is incredible.

Cube watermelon and combine with tomato chunks, basil and basic vinaigrette. You can substitute peach for the watermelon or the tomato (but not both).

Mix wedges of tomatoes and peaches, add slivers of red onion, a few red-pepper flakes and cilantro. Dress with olive oil and lime or lemon juice. Astonishing.

Zucchini Apple Salad
    Source: Taste of Home
    6 Servings

Ingredients

2 medium red apples, chopped
    2 small zucchini, chopped
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
    2/3 cup Italian salad dressing

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the apples, zucchini and walnuts. Add salad dressing; toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup (prepared with fat-free salad dressing) equals 114 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 383 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.

Marinated Mushroom Salad
    Adapted from: Taste of Home
    Serves 6 - 8

Ingredients

2-1/2 quarts water
    3 Tbsp lemon juice
    3 lbs small fresh mushrooms
    2 carrots, sliced
    2 celery ribs, sliced
    1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
    1/2 cup sliced stuffed olives
    1 can (2-1/4 oz) sliced black olives, drained
    Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste

For dressing:
    1/2 cup fat free Italian dressing
    1/2 cup red or white wine vinegar
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 tsp dried oregano

Directions

In a large saucepan, bring water and lemon juice to a boil. Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and cool. Place mushrooms in a large bowl with carrots, celery, green pepper, onion, parsley and olives. Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar with tight fitting lid; shake or mix well. Pour over salad. Cover and refrigerate overnight, stirring occasionally.
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been doing "Thai" style salads.

-Mandarin Oranges
    -Sliced Almonds
    -Scallions
    -Peanuts
    -Baby Spinach or Kale

I either create my own dressing or use San-J peanut-ginger dressing. Since I don't usually eat meat, I get my protein from the spinach, nuts and nut butters. But you could add some shredded chicken to this as well.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is super simple.

1 large tomato
    1 medium cucumber
    A few sprigs of cilantro
    Salt
    Pepper
    1TBS of favorite oil

Chop it. Mix it. Eat it.
  • chelsea801
    Options
    This blogger has a great read about how to make the perfect salad, so as not to get bored with salads!

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/12/14/how-to-make-a-delicious-400-calorie-salad/
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Spinach. Green apple chunks. Chopped pecans. Crumbled blue cheese. Some kind of vinaigrette.

I personally LOVE Ken's Italian dressing.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I make a really easy one with:

1 cup cooked wild rice
    2/3 cup cous cous
    1/4 cup raw cashews
    1/3 cup raisins
    seeds from 1 pomegranate

That's it eat it warm or cold - no dressing required the juices from the pomegranate kinda of mix throughout - watch your serving sizes though and you can mix it up - I also have added dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. It's tasty and filling a bit goes a long way.

You could also make a simple broccoli slaw or coleslaw maybe use a vinegarette dressing instead of the creamy kind.
  • PebbleC
    Options
    Wow wasn't expecting so many responses, thankyou so much :3
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Don't eat salad if you don't like it.
    But there are a ton of kinds of lettuce.
    Do you not like ALL lettuce?
    You don't like ANY of these?
    Iceberg
    Romaine
    Red Leaf Lettuce
    Boston/Bibb
    Escarole
    Green Leaf
    Mesclun
    Frisee
    You can also use spring mix, baby spinach or kale?
    Seriously though if you don't like it don't eat it.
  • mlh37214
    mlh37214 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Just saw this post. I'm right there with you on lettuce and tomatoes. I do like cucumbers, but not very often, and not really on a salad, but plain.

My favorite go-to for work lunches: Spinach salad. I like the fruit vinagrettes made by Maple Grove Farms. They are super tasty and don't take much. I would say that I usually use less than 1/2 of what I measure out.

I like Feta Cheese, dried cranberries, and walnuts or pecans on top. Simple to throw together, and I can usually get pretty full on less than the suggested serving size. Total calories for the one I brought tonight was 344. 210 of that was the pecans. I'm sure you could use chicken or turkey in place of the nuts for protein and to lower the calories.

I was out this weekend and the restaurant had a good spinach salad that I may try to reproduce: spinach, purple onion, strawberries, and bacon bits with a poppyseed dressing (it was sweet and I'm sure the vinagrette will work well on it instead).

Sometimes, I'll just make a quick tuna salad and eat it on fresh spinach without anything else. :) Hope you find somthing that you like!!!
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Tuna is your friend.