mini trampoline-worth it?

Options
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone uses a mini trampoline for exercise? And if so, is it an effective calorie burning workout? I can't seem to find how much calories jumping on a trampoline burns. I did a search and either I find a very low number or a very high number. I would love to hear from anyone who has had success with losing weight using a mini trampoline for exercise. Also, any tips or advice would be much appreciated too. :)

Thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Rebounding makes high impact moves low impact. Some people who couldn't normally run....can jog on a mini-tramp.

There are really cheap (stiff) models....these will not be as forgiving on joints as higher end models (cellersiser, jump sport, bellicon). I have a low end model & love to do Leslie Sansone DVDs on it. I jog when she marches, do bouncy knee lifts, and bouncy side (not steps really) ....but I am able to burn more calories and it keeps it interesting. I'm saving for a higher end model. Keeping things interesting will keep me exercising in the future.

Calorie burns are total guesstimates without a heart rate monitor. Even a HRM is an estimate. I would go with the lower number.

For me diet is where weight loss comes in .....exercise (forever) will be for maintenance.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I used to have one of those 20 (or so) years ago. I found it pretty fun to use in front of the TV. I would mostly just jog on it. My girls were still young then and they loved to play on it. I had and used it for many years, so yeah, I think it was pretty good.

I don't know if calories burned jumping on a trampoline would be the same though. I would imagine those entries are probably for a big trampoline. I don't have a clue how to find out how many you would burn though.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I LURV!!!!!! my rebounder. I only wish I hadn't bothered with the less expensive squeaky Needak on first purchase as the Bellicon is so much better. It's fun and you get a great burn. Buy 1-2 lb sandbag hand weights to use with it. So many other benefits, detoxes all tissues and especially the lymph system, prevents wrinkles by strengthening skin, helps with cellulite...AND more! I know I sound like I work for Bellicon but seriously I LOVE it!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've lost plenty, more than half of it using the rebounder alone. I love that I can walk, jog, or "jump rope" on it. I use a Polar Fit HRM when I work out to judge my calorie burn.

Other posters have mentioned the many other benefits of rebounding. I got mine used (it is a mid-quality one with plenty of give), and could not be more happy with it.

I find that I use my rebounder more than my far more (by thousands) more expensive recumbent stationary bike!

Enjoy your investment. Definitely worth it, and great for weight loss.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love mine too - Reebok rebounder. I use it when can't be faffed to go out or want to clock up more steps on my Fitbit if behind that day or if feeling a bit gloomy. Wear thick socks or trainers as a lot of it can make toes ache later!

It's easy, inexpensive, doesn't require leaving the house or commitment to a class, makes me giggle and has most definitely helped me keep off the 2st I lost last year. I wouldn't be without it as I'm not a natural gym goer or exerciser but this motivates me.

My sympathy lies with Hub who sometimes catches me in knickers, socks and pj top with sports bra OVER it because at 0530 I can't be bothered to change into it properly..........sorry Blokey....
  • marybeethin
    marybeethin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine! LOVE IT. About 5 years back I lost 50 lbs in about 3 months just jumping on that thing (and eating under 1200 cals a day). I would watch music videos, fashion shows - anything high energy to keep my pace up. I also jumped using wrist weights (light-ish ones, 1-2 lbs - keeping my arms in good control so I didn't hurt myself with them). I would get myself to work up a sweat and do it for about 2 hours a day. Instead of just watching TV at the end of the day I jumped :)

Where I live now I can't do it cause the noise is bothersome to others - but if you can I suggest it - I miss it!
  • marybeethin
    marybeethin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hah and I just realized how oddly fitting my ticker is to this topic hehe
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I love my JumpSport. I had a cheaper one and used it so much I got an expensive one. I have a treadmill, too, but the rebounder is a lot more fun, versatile and movable.

I think it's hard to attach a 'calories per minute' value because you could be going all out or just gently bouncing. For me it falls somewhere between walking and jogging.
  • blonmc1
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! :bigsmile:
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is that Simpsons episode where all the kids tried it and broke limbs or died.
  • lvbor
    lvbor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use one, and it's the best fitness purchase I ever made. You get the cardio benefits of running without any knee or ankle pain, so I run faster and longer than I could manage on hard ground. I use a step counter to estimate equivalent distance covered and use that to calculate calories burned.

I like to exercise at home, so most nights I "go for a run" in front of the tv. Works for all weather, and as a night person I don't have to struggle to get it done before dark.

Also, it's fun-->therefore more likely to stick.
  • VegasBaby
    VegasBaby Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know this post is from a while back, but I was wondering... those of you who have been successful, did you "just" jump? Jog? I really want to try this, and would love to just be able to put music on or watch HBO while I jump, but will that burn a fair amount of calories? Or do I need a video to go with the mini trampoline?

Thanks in advance!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I know this post is from a while back, but I was wondering... those of you who have been successful, did you "just" jump? Jog? I really want to try this, and would love to just be able to put music on or watch HBO while I jump, but will that burn a fair amount of calories? Or do I need a video to go with the mini trampoline?

Thanks in advance!!

You don't need a video....but there are several on YouTube. Watching a video will give you some ideas.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bellicon+rebounder+workout&sm=1

There are different types of bounces I alternate between. I'm still a work in progress. I jump/jog to Leslie Sansone DVDs....or a television program. The jumps you can "master" depend upon your trampoline.....some have a larger jumping surface than others (larger = jumping jacks, etc) .....some are very (or very, very) firm.....Gold's Gym (& other starter models) would be very, very firm.

There are mini-tramps with bungess & those with springs......bugees are very quiet.

I've never been a runner .....but I do get a much higher burn when "doing Leslie Sansone" on a rebounder as opposed to doing it on the floor.
  • VegasBaby
    VegasBaby Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it :) I think I will invest in one...and maybe start with a video until I get down some moves (lol :) and then maybe I can just do it while watching tv, listening to music, etc.

Thanks again!!