Bride to be in 30 pounds.

Options
So I got engaged a year ago and our wedding date is this October. I've told myself just as long that I refuse to be my current 170 pound self when i put on that gown, So this month I've begun the long trek to my goal, but I'm finding it so hard to get motivated to workout!! Food is never the problem, I LOVE organic and healthy paleo or vegan choices (though i have a huge vice for bread like carbos).

I've bought jillian michaels, Venus Body, even old school Taibo.... but I can seem to stick to a workout plan. I HATE cardio, and every time I start muscle building I have to take a day plus break because my muscles fatigue to the point of pain. I know I need to just get my *kitten* back on that horse?? But what keeps the rest of you motivated?? I also live in MN so during the winter months?? Life sucks athletically, you barely want to leave the house in this cold.

Any motivational suggestions?

Replies

• nevertoooldtodoit
    nevertoooldtodoit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! I joined boot camp at the fitness center. It's helpful to have classmates and a set time 3 days a week. I'm also a Minnesotan! Congrats on the upcoming wedding.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Do a search for some of the weightlifting, resistance training, strength threads here.

Many people love their cardio, some do not (I do not, for one), but heavy lifting has lots of benefits and leads to fat loss when combined with a calorie deficit while preserving muscle mass better than cardio alone.

Just search the forums. If you don't love cardio, then maybe a strength-based routine will be better for you, with cardio as a supplementary workout. Some people do little to no cardio...

You need to find the right workout for you, and the best one ALWAYS starts with something you can stick with, that you hopefully like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/858218-weight-lifting-results-for-women-plz?hl=women+lifting+results&page=6

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1004088-women-lifting-heavy-question?hl=women+lift&page=2#posts-15373067

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?hl=halp+lifting

There are lots of threads here, but these are examples in case you are interested in checking out lifting as part of or your primary exercise
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!! I'll push more toward the weight lifting side... I don't mind a little cardio to get the heart going but I get so freakin bored on the treadmill, and I'd prefer a fast walk or something outside (but then there is that silly winter issue). I DO have a membership at a gym with classes, but I've been pretty bad about going. I have noticed though? People who lift do seem to be leaner then people who do just cardio... so maybe I've just been doing this wrong?! *lol*
  • summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your engagement! Don't push yourself too hard or set crazy high expectations in the beginning. If you haven't been working out before then trying to work out every day will be hard on your body. I would try starting with 3 days a week mixing up your cardio and weights and then when you feel comfortable with that start adding in additional days or longer workouts.

As long as you are staying on track with your calories your work outs will be a bonus calorie burn and help you look more toned. Good luck!
  • Zenyehtta
    Zenyehtta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I myself am the same way about exercise though. In the end you just have to make yourself do it. I tell myself I have no excuse (I'm not sick or injured. Being tired doesn't count). And if I don't do it today I know I won't tomorrow or the next. At the least I try to do a 30 minute walk, and squats/plank/crunches. It's not a lot but it's better than nothing. The squat/plank/crunch combination takes very little time too. (I started with 20 crunches and squats and a 20 second plank. Everyday I would increase the increment by 5, taking a break every three days. Before I could barely do a 20 second plank, but now I can do do it for a minute and a half.)

(Nothing beats going to the gym and do some strength training and getting in your cardio though.)
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    Congratulations! I am getting married in March ( in 7 weeks) take it from me! Start NOW!

I'm having great success now and was dawdling around for a good few months losing a little, gaining it back, losing some more, being good, being bad - then it got to 12 weeks to go and I thought HOLY CRAP! I refuse to feel fat on my wedding day.

Make small changes each day. If you eat out, still go out, but make a better food choice. Drink lots of water. Exercise every day and find something you love to do. Turbo Fire is so much for me and I look forward to training so much I don't want to have a rest day. Whatever you do just START NOW!

Good LUck x