Weights hurt - Can you move the next day? Tips/Advice Please

Options
Hi All,

I'm getting quite addicted to working out and train about 6 x per week. I've fallen in love with Turbo Fire so I've been doing that quite regularly and have neglected weights a bit.

I did a weight sesht he other day ( first one in awhile) and I seriously could almost not walk the next day, or the following. I had to brace myself to lower myself onto the loo (haha sorry if too much info) While I'm all for no pain, no gain, this seems just a little bit extreme.

Anyone got tips for recovery? What does everyone else do to deal with this muscle soreness? I'm on a roll and I don't want to stop!

Thanks
Jodie x

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    All I can say is after your body gets used to the workout, you don't get crippling DOMS anymore. When I restart after some time off, I get the soreness you're talking about... but when I'm lifting regularly (full body 2-3 times a week), soreness is actually pretty minimal. In the meantime... Biofreeze or something similar. Or a nice epsom salts bath.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    This always happens to me when I first start out hard,

so I listen to my body and take a break and I don't do much other than swim for a few days,

Then I go hard again, and I don't get the pain. Its almost disappointing. lol
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that if I do a light workout of the sore muscles the next day, it helps the pain go away faster.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Main tips would be make sure you move, it's will help and get a foam roller, it'll hurt but the doms clear faster meaning you can workout again sooner and after a week or 3 the DOMS will ease
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Also, speaking from hard experience... You can absolutely work through soreness, but be very, very careful about tightness. Please warm up adequately. (My hard experience: Incline running Monday night, very tight hip flexors pulled my back out of alignment during deadlifts Tuesday, sidelined for a couple weeks minimum. I wasn't even unusually sore, just too tight to pull my work set.)
  • ciki90
    ciki90 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here's what helps me get through muscle soreness:

Supplements: l-glutamine, BCAAs, and I make sure to get 1g of protein per pound of body weight, so I use protein powder as well.

Spa care: you can go to a spa, but I do everything at home. I have an electric massager that works great on sore muscles, and I am also a huge advocate of taking long Epsom salt baths. So relaxing!

Exercise: stretching/yoga or some type of mild cardio can do the trick for me. When you get your blood pumping into those muscles again, it wakes your body up and speeds up recovery time. You may also want to get a foam roller... Those things are amazing.

After a while of consistent weight training or higher intensity exercise, your body should become accustomed to the activity level, and the DOMS should become less frequent, less intense, or nonexistent.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Im surprised no one mentioned foam rolling. foam rolling will get that soreness right out. you can pick up one at walmart for cheap but if you want to go cheaper, go to Lowes or home Depot and get a PVC pipe. stretching will obviously help as well
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the tips! I will be giving them all a go! :)
  • stanluoser
    Options
    The Foam Roller is the best thing especially after a leg day. Sadly my gym on base doesn't have one for everyone to use because the only one they got is for personal use only! I use to roll out every day even if it isn't sore.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Im surprised no one mentioned foam rolling. foam rolling will get that soreness right out. you can pick up one at walmart for cheap but if you want to go cheaper, go to Lowes or home Depot and get a PVC pipe. stretching will obviously help as well
    *sigh* I did mention foam rolling
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Keep moving! Don't curl up and let yourself stiffen up. Like a couple of others have mentioned, I tend to do a lighter workout the day I'm sore. Once your body gets used to it, DOMS will ease up and you won't feel as sore (unless you take a break and have to start again!)