Homemade bread

Options
shrek1970uk
shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
I like to make my own bread, rolls etc., both white (bad I know) and wholemeal.

I have been working out the calories based on the ingredients I add, then weighing the final cooked loaf, and working out calories per gram.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Does the yeast "eat" all the sugar, so I don't need to incorporate the cals from the sugar in my calculation?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'd just use the recipe tab and then log one serving as one slice or one roll.
    Ain't nothin' wrong with white bread, you'll just get a bit less fibre (although I think that wholemeal is MUCH tastier).

Re the yeast: just log the sugar calories. Yes, the yeast converts sugars into (ethanol) alcohol and CO2 (which are mostly both not present in your bread as they are volatile/gas), but you have no idea how much the yeast 'eats', how much alcohol remains in the bread...etc. You may as well just log the sugars in full and stay on the safe side, imo.
  • shrek1970uk
    shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'd just use the recipe tab and then log one serving as one slice or one roll.
    Ain't nothin' wrong with white bread, you'll just get a bit less fibre (although I think that wholemeal is MUCH tastier).

Re the yeast: just log the sugar calories. Yes, the yeast converts sugars into (ethanol) alcohol and CO2 (which are mostly both not present in your bread as they are volatile/gas), but you have no idea how much the yeast 'eats', how much alcohol remains in the bread...etc. You may as well just log the sugars in full and stay on the safe side, imo.

Thank-you :drinker:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own bread, rolls etc., both white (bad I know) and wholemeal.

I have been working out the calories based on the ingredients I add, then weighing the final cooked loaf, and working out calories per gram.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Does the yeast "eat" all the sugar, so I don't need to incorporate the cals from the sugar in my calculation?

:flowerforyou:
    That's how I do it. I use the recipe builder and weigh the finished product to give me the amount of calories in 100 g, then weigh each slice. My slices vary wildly in size/weight, so that's the best way for me.

And yeah - just log the sugar you add.
  • aadhyasiddhi
    Options
    This is what you need for 1 loaf of bread:
    3 cups of flour(any kind is fine. I use all purpose flour)
    3 tsp active dry yeast
    3 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup of warm water
    1tbsp margarine (oil or butter work just fine, I prefer margarine),one egg
    tart by putting the flour, the yeast, the sugar and the salt and start mixing Add the warm water, 1 cup or as much as you need, until you make a nice consistent dough. You don't want the dough to be too soft, but if you by mistake end up pouring too much water, don't worry, it happens all the time. Just add some more flour. At the end, cut the margarine into small cubes and add it to the mixing dough.

When you're done mixing and the dough is a bit sticky but not significantly sticking to your hands, start kneading it with a bit of flour and form it into a ball. After that, put the dough on the counter or on a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes.

DSCN1921.JPG
    After about 10 minutes, you take the dough and roll it. Divide it in 2 equal parts and roll it again into 2 rolls of about 15 inches long and as wide to fit into your hand.
    Put the 2 rolls next to each other, connect the at one end, and start braiding them together.Take the bread and put it into the pan slowly, tuck the ends underneath if needed.
    Take the egg and beat it, and with a brush brush it on the bread. This will give your bread a nice color. If you happen to be allergic to eggs, you can do that with oil or don't do it at all.
    Put it to bake at 350 degree, for 30 minutes.When it's done, take it out and let it cool at least 15 mintes before cutting into it. If you cut too early, the inside will be Serve it with butter or with one of my soup recipes :), or let it cool for an hour and put into plastic bags, and freeze it for as long as you want. When you want fresh bread, take it out of the freezer and microwave it for 2-2:30 minutes.
  • ironchick84
    ironchick84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump