HELP!: Soda Problem

Options
My MIL recently got on a kick that diet sodas were very very bad for you, and not to long after that so did another friend of mine. That friend went as far as to give me literature supporting this. So, I thought WTH and gave up diet sodas about three months ago and resumed drinking regular sodas. :drinker: To my surprise, after several days of headaches, I actually started to feel better. I was eating less sweets (I'm sure cause my body had enough sugar) and I wasn't feeling that VOID like I had for years. So, here's the thing I know that the regular soda is either going to A.) Make me gain or B.) Keep me from losing, and I know I should give them up. The problem comes in that I refuse to live life w/out soda at all, and now that I know how badly the diet sodas were making me feel I don't want to go back to them. So, I was wondering if any of you that have been successful have been successful with regular soda? If so how do you keep from going overboard? Oh, and I guess I should ad that I do log those calories, and they are not that bad, but I know they aren't good either.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• gemgal29
    Options
    I like my Coke and sometimes Rootbeer. YES diet pop is HORRIBLE for you. If you must have soda, then drink the regular. But all in all, try to cut out the soda completely. These are empty calories and don't do the body any good. I'm trying to cut this bad habit of mine. And it's tough.

I started drinking lightly carbonated water. Like Perrier. There are other manufacturers out there, and ones that naturally sweeten with fruit for flavor.

Good Luck! :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Haha *sips diet coke*

There is nothing wrong with "soda" or pop as we call it.

Drinking regular soda as long as it fits in your calorie goal wont hurt you for weight loss...

BTW I drink diet coke because I prefer it....not because it's diet...if I liked Coke I would drink that.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda, so I don't know if this would really work, but maybe you could try cutting it with carbonated water, changing up the ratios until you find one you like best.

I take no responsibility if it's completely gross, though! Like I said, I know basically nothing about soda.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I used to drink soda all the time, but stopped buying it because I wanted to be healthier. Honestly, I don't miss having it! On special occasions I will, or when I'm eating out (which is infrequent enough to make it a special treat). If you are still within your calorie goals drinking soda, then you don't HAVE to give it up, but it doesn't have nutritional benefit. So perhaps you might try doing what i do, which is not to drink it at home and only have it when eating out. OR you could try what worked for my mom: she went on the 17 day diet, and one of the rules is that you must drink 8 eight ounce waters per day, and if you have a soda, you have to add on another glass of water. That was a deterrent for her because she couldn't bring herself to drink MORE water than what she already was!
  • jtyler83
    jtyler83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    placebo effect is strong
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I can't do moderation with soda. If I allow myself to drink soda, I drink it all the time. It's just way too addicting for me. I decided to cut it out completely. It was REALLY hard for the first month or so. I was constantly craving it. But now it doesn't bother me so much. Sometimes I crave some if my boyfriend drinks it, but if I grab an ice water to quench my thirst instead, I usually feel better. A can of dr pepper (I don't know which kind you like, but dr pepper was always my poison) has 150 calories. If you really don't want to go without, just make room for it in your calorie goals.
  • Skittles2183
    Skittles2183 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I cut pop out all together, it wasn't to hard for me, now some days I would like some, but I just look at it this way, I would rather eat it my cals then drink them lol
  • tianaclark
    tianaclark Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try Zevia, it's an all natural soda sweetened with Stevia. I love their root beer flavor!
  • Happy_Taco
    Happy_Taco Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    try it your way and see how it goes - keep track of how you are doing. if it works, keep it, if you aren't getting the results you want, maybe cut back or substitute it (I don't know how many you drink a day) but substitute 1 of the sodas for a lighter drink - I used crystal light packs and they helped. everyone's different, you'll have to just see how you feel with it and how your body reacts.
  • vrase28
    vrase28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I personally find it easier to skip the soda if I make sure I have gotten all of my water in. I usually reserve it for a treat if I have done well that day and have a few extra calories...I am not good at moderation with it either....one turns in to 5 way to easily....
  • jennyjcss
    jennyjcss Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Im a diet cola addict myself. Now i am on a challenge by my friends, to cut off soda completely for 2 weeks and eat clean, no sugary foods and no junks. I had started a blog to record my challenge of no soda as well as my diary has set for public view.

Feel free to read & comment.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to what the problem is, or what everyone thinks they are doing regarding carbonated flavoured water.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    placebo effect is strong
    :laugh:

@OP: I drink diet pop because I enjoy it and can't stand the taste of regular pop. It works for me and doesn't cause me to crave sweets more. If you want to drink regular pop then just account for the calories in your food diary like you would anything else.
  • Glens_Life
    Glens_Life Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I first cut out diet soda and started drinking regular soda. I cut out soda out all together. Every once in a while Regular soda isn't bad if its counted.
  • snappled
    Options
    Ive stayed away from soda for half a decade.
    I can't drink it just once so i dont drink it at all.

ps

stop saying pop,folks
  • 10x1014
    10x1014 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments. I do appreciate it.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    Personally, I have accepted the fact that until I get to a point of maintenance rather than weight loss then I will not drink calories. End of. So I just drink water or tea.

I definitely won't drink any artifically sweetened carcinogens.
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ok, something similar happened to me, though over a larger period of time. Was a diet soda addict (coke zero, sprite zero, diet mountain dew) and figured out about aspartame... Quit cold turkey successfully... three months later, started drinking regular soda... and more.. and more.... and GAINED 20 pounds (of which I now lost 10!).... So be careful.. as long as you can control yourself and stay within your calorie limit.. go ahead!!!
  • ahammer77
    ahammer77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I drink regular pop but make sure to add it to my calories. I try not to drink it everyday because I would rather eat my calories but it is my one bad habit. Everyone has a bad habit, I'm not a smoker and not a drinker so I figure this is my one bad habit. I have found as long as I count those calories it has not had in an impact on my weight loss.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like my Coke and sometimes Rootbeer. YES diet pop is HORRIBLE for you. If you must have soda, then drink the regular. But all in all, try to cut out the soda completely. These are empty calories and don't do the body any good. I'm trying to cut this bad habit of mine. And it's tough.

I started drinking lightly carbonated water. Like Perrier. There are other manufacturers out there, and ones that naturally sweeten with fruit for flavor.

Good Luck! :)
    I'm not so sure that HFCS is somehow less HORRIBLE than aspartame to be honest.