Everyday or not

Options
Hi

Having a few problems with maintaining my consistency when it comes to working out. I'm only really doing abs and press ups regularly, with a few other bits thrown in here and there, and find that the best way for me to maintain without faltering is to do it everyday but now I'm reading that muscle groups should get a rest for 48 hours. Am I gonna be doing anything detrimental by doing it everyday?

Having completed my 6 week Caynax A6W along with reading I should be resting has sort of made me lose some discipline. If I miss a day I'm not so focused on getting through the routines when I do them. Also I guess not having a defined routine to follow, as I did with the A6W, doesn't help. I just end up doing a bit less than a hour of crunches and follow the Runstastic Push Ups Pro (which used to be everyday but even that has changed to every 2-3 days now it's getting further along the programme)

What do you reckon? Everyday (if it works for me) or give the muscles a break for a day?

Replies

• Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    How frequently a person exercises is mainly a function of intensity (load) and volume (sets and repetitions). If a person is doing 10 push-ups every hour, (s)he can work out 10+ times a day. If a person is squatting, deadlifting, and bench pressing at 80-100% intensity (load) for a total of 50+ repetitions per workout, (s)he is likely going to be hospitalized by exercising every day.

A really good way to gauge how frequently a person should exercise is linear progress. If a person isn't getting a little bit stronger with each workout, it's likely that the person isn't fully recovering between workouts. "Stronger" depends on what type of program a person is running. If it's powerlifting, "stronger" means top end strength; if it's bodybuilding, it might mean adding weight to the bar or an extra repetition to one or more sets; if it's muscular endurance, it might mean doing 1 more push-up or pull-up each workout.

Linear progress can be hampered if the central nervous system and muscles aren't given enough time to adapt. Strength and muscle gains occur during the recovery period, not during the workout.

In sum, then, track your progress and schedule your exercise accordingly.

All of this assumes that a person isn't on performance enhancing drugs: that changes things a lot.
  • pinheadplanet
    pinheadplanet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The Runstastic Push Ups is a progressive routine, adding a couple of reps every session. But the abs... since i completed the 6 weeks I'm a bit lost, do some of ABS II but it's just a few minutes as opposed to an hour so not very fulfilling.
  • toovodz
    toovodz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering that too. I had struggled getting to a gym with having a young family so I have got myself an exercise bike, nearly one week in (I got it Monday) and I have been increasing the time and intensity starting from 15 mins to now 30 mins. I'm going to build it up to 60 mins a day and give myself 1 day a week off. I wondered if that was too much?

I found Spartans reply very helpful btw and I think once I am up and running more on the bike I will start some abs and weights (just at home) to do my upper body too.

I will have to look into runtastic too...does it have workouts on it? I thought it was just for running?
  • pinheadplanet
    pinheadplanet Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I will have to look into runtastic too...does it have workouts on it? I thought it was just for running?
    There's 4 other Runtastic apps, all free to get you started andthen you pay a little if you want to continue. Push ups, pull ups, squats and sit ups. Get all 4 and see which suit you. Unfortunately I can't do pull ups because of an elbow injury but I did buy a door gym and can still use it for adapted hanging leg raises (my new discoery which I love) and I can also do hanging knee ups and leg ups as per Caynax ABS II using the 'things' you put your arms in (supports).

I do use the original Runtastic for walking and cycling.

Great thing about it syncs automatically with MFP. Check 'em out
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Interested to see the answers you get. I'm doing 5/3/1/ 4 days a week but toying with the idea of doing 6 (as I'm not a big cardio fan, so don't do much else).
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    My favorite answer to your question is, construction workers don't give their muscles a day off. Neither do ballerinas. Nor do athletes. Only bodybuilders, who need every.single.muscle to show and be as big and defined as possible, rest their muscles.

I rest mine, between sets. ;)