Cycling underwear?

Options
Question for guys and girls - Do you wear underwear under your shorts/tights/lycras on the bike?

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Cotton for absorption.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Nope, just padded spandex under my riding shorts
  • Jjsharry
    Jjsharry Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It depends. This time of year, here in the UK, I tend to wear a thermal base layer under my bib tights / cycling top, so no, they are my underwear, so to speak.

In the summer, I tend to wear sports briefs under my bib shorts, unless its really hot, then it's just the bib shorts.
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    So guys don't and girls do? My partner doesn't wear anything underneath but i always go with underwear
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No, unless I'm on my period. I've read that wearing it can lead to comfort issues. Extra material and seams isn't a good thing. My husband also does not.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    ^^ This
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you got a chamois up in there, you should not be wearing underwear. Partner is a long time roadie. Also, I never ever wear underwear in my workout gear (I lift, wear tights). Free ball it, yo. Way more comfortable.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Yeah no.
  • Jaydec70
    Jaydec70 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bicycled across America and only had one pair of underwear and shorts for days off the bike. My wife too!
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hell no! Wore undies once and paid the price. Miserable memories. Spandex shorts or bib with chamois padding is all you'll need.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do wear - always. I've never had any comfort issues because of that.
  • jayclock
    jayclock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    if you are using properly padded cycle shorts or tights, you should not be wearing underpants, unless 100% seamless. Any with a 4 way seam at the lowest point are the worst as you will get severe chafing if you do more than a few miles.

It takes a while to break your *kitten* in for longer rides, but I know often do 2 to 9 hour rides or longer with few problems. The problem is generally that while fresh you take more pressure on your arms and legs. As you get tired (or early on if unfit) then the bum tends to slump hard into the saddle and take more of a battering.

Haivng done a month long cycle trip a couple of years ago, I would add that personal hygiene is essential. Sweat can infect hair follicles. Been there, done that, not for lack of cleanliness, but some (men) are more susceptible than others.

As a keen long distance cyclist feel free to contact me for help or advice
  • jayclock
    jayclock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    oh, to add that chamois cream (Assos is the best by far) is a great help too, and helps avoid the infections
  • gajones02
    gajones02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Never. Bike specific only and always.

I have one pair of bike underwear that I don't like, I prefer longer legged shorts. The brief length doesn't stay in place and it ends up as if you're riding while straddling a pool float noodle.

I do wear casual shorts over bike shorts, I just don't believe Lycra was made for old farts.....no matter how nice the butt.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Question for guys and girls - Do you wear underwear under your shorts/tights/lycras on the bike?

Nope, I wear proper cycle shorts.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Padded bike shorts for all rides except my short daily commute.
    If it's cold, they go under. If it's warm, that's all I wear on the bottom half.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I used to wear under wear but then some one told me I shouldn't and have since found it far more comfortable without.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    No, unless I'm on my period. I've read that wearing it can lead to comfort issues. Extra material and seams isn't a good thing. My husband also does not.

Samey Samey.
    So. Much. Bunching!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    nope. wear padded shorts.