Cardio & Toning Question - Belly Fat

Options
Right now, I've got these things into place:
1) Keeping a food diary and am in a calorie deficit
2) Do high-intensity cardio atleast 4 times per week
3) Have started performing 'strength training/toning' workouts with light dumbbells
4) Eat clean

I've read a lot that lifting and strength training exercises are important but then on the other hand, hear you need to lose belly fat to see the muscles. I'm confused where to start with or shall I continue combining both together, that is cardio x4 per week and muscle/strength training exercises every single day for about 15-20 minutes? The reason I'm confused is do I reduce my belly fat first then start the strength training process or do it as I go along and if I do that - how much do I need to do?

To get a more accurate image of where I am, here's a pic of my stomach as it was yesterday. As you can see it needs a lot of work...

http://i43.tinypic.com/1grlau.jpg

People who have been in my position and have a similar shape (or larger) - how long roughly did it take and what did you do for it?

I've searched extensively for losing belly fat and getting the type of definition I'm after. I am planning to start heavy lifting when I go back home in Easter and over Summer so it's not off the tables.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Abs are made in the kitchen...you need to be at a calorie deficet to lose fat and you need strenght training to maintain muscle.

Cardio will give you extra calories to eat or a bigger deficet but it wont help you maintain muscle....

I do weights 3x a week and have added in HIIT 2x a week just for cardio health eat at a deficet and my belly fat is way lower than when I just did cardio and I lost 8lbs doing circut training but had lots of "fat" around my middle...since lifting I have list 6lbs and my belly is really coming along.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Abs are made in the kitchen...you need to be at a calorie deficet to lose fat and you need strenght training to maintain muscle.

Cardio will give you extra calories to eat or a bigger deficet but it wont help you maintain muscle....

I do weights 3x a week and have added in HIIT 2x a week just for cardio health eat at a deficet and my belly fat is way lower than when I just did cardio and I lost 8lbs doing circut training but had lots of "fat" around my middle...since lifting I have list 6lbs and my belly is really coming along.

I'm not looking to spot reduce, I understand that the whole body will become toned as I progress which I want, but the main thing I want to see go down is my belly fat.

That's a good idea the HIIT 2x and the weights - my weights are 2.3kgs and 4.6kgs...I was planning to lift heavy in the summer at home as I have a full set up there.

Can I not do: x3 HIIT workouts per week and Body Toning exercises or is that useless? This is what I don't understand. I'm trying to make a solid plan so I can get off and work on it.

Would doing videos such as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgYDWc7RkU - be any use to me right now?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    As for what you are doing any exercise is good but the "toned" you are looking for is all about calorie deficet.

You want to see the muscle under the fat, calorie deficet.

I wouldn't say HIIT is useless my sister does circut training 5x a week (Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 and extreme shred) and eats a deficet and looks amazing...but it's about her calorie deficet...the exercise just allows her to eat more food.

Weights (heavy weights and enough protien) help you keep the LBM you have so that the weight you are losing isn't muscle and fat.

So basically if you want to do the circuit training and low weight resistance training go ahead it's not going to hurt, you will see your body get smaller and the weight will go down but you will be losing muscle mass in the process too...

ETA: to give you a comparison my sister has visible abs, visible bicep when flexed etc and weighs 125lbs...I am 165 abs are a work in progress and visible muscle when flexed...I can do a chin up she can't.

It's all in what you want to look good with a little strength or look good with good strength.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree with the PP about spot reducing and the kitchen stuff.

Are you just starting out with exercising? It sounds like you have a great plan and starting out with 5 & 10 lbs sounds perfect. Does your gym have any circuit training classes? I would recommend doing one of those if you are new to working out - mine keeps me motivated and I've learned the right way to lift, and gotten a lot stronger in the past year. Plus you are forced to work on muscle groups that are not your favorite so you can't avoid them!
  • Jkn921
    Options
    As for what you are doing any exercise is good but the "toned" you are looking for is all about calorie deficet.

You want to see the muscle under the fat, calorie deficet.

I wouldn't say HIIT is useless my sister does circut training 5x a week (Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 and extreme shred) and eats a deficet and looks amazing...but it's about her calorie deficet...the exercise just allows her to eat more food.

Weights (heavy weights and enough protien) help you keep the LBM you have so that the weight you are losing isn't muscle and fat.

So basically if you want to do the circuit training and low weight resistance training go ahead it's not going to hurt, you will see your body get smaller and the weight will go down but you will be losing muscle mass in the process too...

ETA: to give you a comparison my sister has visible abs, visible bicep when flexed etc and weighs 125lbs...I am 165 abs are a work in progress and visible muscle when flexed...I can do a chin up she can't.

It's all in what you want to look good with a little strength or look good with good strength.

Yup I get the calorie deficit bit - what I mean to ask is say right now I have a layer of fat over my muscles, if I do not work them out now when I have the high bf% will it cause me to look skinny-fat and not toned when I eventually do lose the fat over it?

I don't have issues with eating or exercise at all and have been doing it for a year now. I'm not entirely sure what exercises to do to get the results I'm looking for...

I also looked at the 30DS and saw nearly everyone have SOME definition in their body so I may take a look at that and see what the exercises are about.
  • Jkn921
    Options

Are you just starting out with exercising? It sounds like you have a great plan and starting out with 5 & 10 lbs sounds perfect. Does your gym have any circuit training classes? I would recommend doing one of those if you are new to working out - mine keeps me motivated and I've learned the right way to lift, and gotten a lot stronger in the past year. Plus you are forced to work on muscle groups that are not your favorite so you can't avoid them!

I've been doing it since last year so definitley not new - however I only have been doing cardio really (kickboxing mainly) which has helped me lose 20lbs. I don't have or go to a gym and I'm not planning to but I have a gym at home (I'm at Uni now) so when I go back in Summer, I'll probably start heavy lifting then. I'm not entirely sure what to focus on now - calorie deficit will be done but the exercises I'm a little confused about...
  • lrose50
    lrose50 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good morning - I'm trying to maneuver through all information regarding belly fat as well. Here is a link to some information that was on the Marilyn Denis show I found helpful.

http://www.marilyn.ca/HealthFitness/segments/Daily/January2014/1_8_2014/BellyFatFact

Good Luck
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track. As someone already pointed out, abs are indeed made in the kitchen. Try not to eat more than 2 slices of bread (preferably whole wheat) per day and watch your sugar intake. Drink plenty of water and do ab work about 3 to 4 times a week. Also, you can try taking a CLA supplement to aid your goal. I use GNC Total Lean CLA. And you're welcome to add me so you can see my food diary. :) Good luck to you on your fitness journey!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I've been doing it since last year so definitley not new - however I only have been doing cardio really (kickboxing mainly) which has helped me lose 20lbs. I don't have or go to a gym and I'm not planning to but I have a gym at home (I'm at Uni now) so when I go back in Summer, I'll probably start heavy lifting then. I'm not entirely sure what to focus on now - calorie deficit will be done but the exercises I'm a little confused about...

Well when I was just doing cardio 15 years ago and got down to this same weight I was bigger then I am now. So yes Cardio only will give you that skinny fat look.

You don't have to go to the gym to work the muscle. Bodyweight exercise, circuit training with weights, HIIT with bodyweight or some sort of resistence training will help (I started last year with circuit training and it helped) anything to help maintain your muscle (work up the dumbell weight) to ensure you are taxing the muscle is all good.

As I said my sister does JM extreme shred and ripped in 30 and looks amazing just not that strong.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    My recommendation, check out either Jamie Eison or Kris Gethin's 12 week program. Set up an account with BB.com and it will add the info to your calendar. It will tell you exactly how and when to lift/cardio for the whole 12weeks. There's also a video for both that explains the diet as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan-all.html
  • Jkn921
    Options

Well when I was just doing cardio 15 years ago and got down to this same weight I was bigger then I am now. So yes Cardio only will give you that skinny fat look.

You don't have to go to the gym to work the muscle. Bodyweight exercise, circuit training with weights, HIIT with bodyweight or some sort of resistence training will help (I started last year with circuit training and it helped) anything to help maintain your muscle (work up the dumbell weight) to ensure you are taxing the muscle is all good.

As I said my sister does JM extreme shred and ripped in 30 and looks amazing just not that strong.

Thanks a lot, this is what I wanted to know. So I'll keep doing the strength training exercises along with the cardio 2-3 times per week (cardio 2-3/week) Is it ok to do strength training for 15-20 minutes per day or more useful to have a rest day in between?
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jkn921
    Options
    You are on the right track. As someone already pointed out, abs are indeed made in the kitchen. Try not to eat more than 2 slices of bread (preferably whole wheat) per day and watch your sugar intake. Drink plenty of water and do ab work about 3 to 4 times a week. Also, you can try taking a CLA supplement to aid your goal. I use GNC Total Lean CLA. And you're welcome to add me so you can see my food diary. :) Good luck to you on your fitness journey!

I have exactly that (2 slices of whole wheat bread per day). The diet is under control, all my habits have settled in, I was confused where to take it from here. Thanks, added.
  • Jkn921
    Options
    My recommendation, check out either Jamie Eison or Kris Gethin's 12 week program. Set up an account with BB.com and it will add the info to your calendar. It will tell you exactly how and when to lift/cardio for the whole 12weeks. There's also a video for both that explains the diet as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan-all.html

Thanks I'll check those out
  • Jrk_fitness
    Jrk_fitness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I never start a diet with cardio. I introduce a little bit of cardio when I hit a plateau to break through it without reducing calories by much. And focus on keeping my muscle mass and strength during my "cutting phase".

Focus on weights. Cardio is boring and it breaks down the body where as Weights build the body up. Compare sprinters to marathon runners. Fast Twitch vs Slow Twitch Muscle Fibers.
  • Jkn921
    Options
    I never start a diet with cardio. I introduce a little bit of cardio when I hit a plateau to break through it without reducing calories by much. And focus on keeping my muscle mass and strength during my "cutting phase".

Focus on weights. Cardio is boring and it breaks down the body where as Weights build the body up. Compare sprinters to marathon runners. Fast Twitch vs Slow Twitch Muscle Fibers.

I quite enjoy my kickboxing cardio workouts :)
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would do strength training with some heavier weights. Light dumb bells won't do what you are looking for. If you only have access to dumb bells, make them heavy.

Do strength training with heavier weights 3 times a week, research a full body program. You can do cardio on your days off of strength if you like.

And make sure you are eating at a deficit. Log everything accurately. Your deficit and strength training with heavier weights will get you the results you want.
  • Jkn921
    Options
    If I were you, I would do strength training with some heavier weights. Light dumb bells won't do what you are looking for. If you only have access to dumb bells, make them heavy.

Do strength training with heavier weights 3 times a week, research a full body program. You can do cardio on your days off of strength if you like.

And make sure you are eating at a deficit. Log everything accurately. Your deficit and strength training with heavier weights will get you the results you want.

Will do, thank you.
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I have exactly that (2 slices of whole wheat bread per day). The diet is under control, all my habits have settled in, I was confused where to take it from here. Thanks, added.

Accepted! Also, I have done Shaun T's Hip Hop Abs, it is a great program that includes a diet plan to aid you. I did that over the summer and it was a good workout and fun. I was able to get it from beachbody.com for $19.99 plus shipping (total was about $30 for me).
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised your University doesn't have a gym! It's been awhile since I was at school but we had a full gym and you could sign up for recreational sports/weightlifting, even billiards or bowling.