trying to loose 60pounds by june, is this possible???

Options
HI, I'm going to visit my Mom in June, kind of nervous she is fit and I'm 217 pounds, I want to loose 60 pounds before we leave on vacation, help

Replies

• btown1mom
    Options
    I also want to loose some weight before june anyone with tips that xan help please helpppp....
  • NaddieHalfDome
    Options
    It is possible. Having been fat-thin-fat-thin-fat repeatedly, I would encourage you to find some lifestyle that you can live with forever.
    I was 215 at Thanksgiving. I am 187 now. I on target to be 130 by end of June.

I have made gradual permanent changes.
    The first week I added a fruit and chia seed smoothie to breakfast everyday.
    The next week I added vegetables to the smoothie and walked a half hour during lunch.
    The next week I started making vegetable soup / stew for lunch and bringing it to work in a thermos everyday.
    The next week I stopped drinking diet soda and increased daily walks to 45 minutes
    The next week I gave up dairy and processed foods added some stairs to my walk.
    The next week I gave up eggs and added more seeds and beans to my meals, also increased walk to one hour
    The next week I increased amount of green leafy vegetables - large salad at night, started swimming laps before work.

This way I never have felt deprived. My energy levels have been increasing.
    I don't really bother with logging all the vegetables and they really fill me up. I stumbled on to Dr Fuhrmans nutritarian life style part way thru my journey and it made a lot of sense to me. I do eat bison a few times a month, when my brain starts whispering - Eat Meat - but otherwise I have migrated to a plant based diet.

I feel wonderful and the pounds are consistently melting off. This is so much easier than the torture I have put myself thru in the past!
  • alexvhrk
    alexvhrk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend not attempting losing that much that fast. 30 pounds by June would be an accomplishment because that is a healthier time frame for a healthier amount. Losing too much too fast (more than 2 pounds a week) will enable you to fall right back off the wagon immediately after your trip. Dieting is more of a lifestyle change than a quick fix. A quick fix is just that, a quick fix, not a long term one.
  • breemarie87
    Options
    I have to agree with alexvhrk. If you lose the weight quickly you will gain it back quickly plus more. Been there done that. I'd say 30 pounds is a good goal. Shoot for 2lbs a week that way your body doesn't freak out and go into starvation mode (which will make your body retain everything).

Get into healthy routines. It is a gradual process, believe me, but in the long run you will be better for it. :) Good luck!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A healthy, sustainable weight loss is no more than 2 lbs. per week. But you can definitely make a lifestyle change before June, and some progress is way better than none. Weigh your food. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend not attempting losing that much that fast. 30 pounds by June would be an accomplishment because that is a healthier time frame for a healthier amount. Losing too much too fast (more than 2 pounds a week) will enable you to fall right back off the wagon immediately after your trip. Dieting is more of a lifestyle change than a quick fix. A quick fix is just that, a quick fix, not a long term one.

Agreed, though I think the max you could safely do would be about 40 (at 2lbs a week). Any more than that would mean you are either overworking yourself with exercise or are not eating enough. Starting at a similar number myself I can tell you that 30-40 lbs is DEFINITELY quite noticeable and an excellent accomplishment. Plus if you do it in a way that is sustainable then it won't be so difficult to continue on after vacation (or even keep good habits while on vacation).
  • saturenag
    Options
    Wow, you did make a change, that's awesome!!!! Thank you for the tips
  • saturenag
    Options
    Thank you, your right
  • saturenag
    Options
    I think I will strive for 30, thank you
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    HI, I'm going to visit my Mom in June, kind of nervous she is fit and I'm 217 pounds, I want to loose 60 pounds before we leave on vacation, help

3 pounds a week (60 pounds by June) might be a bit overzealous, but I love being proven wrong.

2 pounds a week may be reasonable, and that'd be about 40 pounds by June.

Start now, lose "something" every week from now until June, and I guarantee you'll be happy with the outcome.
  • saturenag
    Options
    Thank you
  • saturenag
    Options
    Thank you for your advice it means a lot
  • saturenag
    Options
    Having this online food journal has helped tremendously also working out for 30 minutes, staying away from the processed foods, for me I can't have a little I have to cut them totally out of my diet, good luck on your journey!!!
  • saturenag
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments and advice, it means a lot!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Maybe...if you average 2 per week that's still about 36 depending on when in June? Maybe set a goal for 35 and see where that takes you :) My first two weeks the weight dropped fast but I expect that to slow down substanially (ie: this is my 3rd week). But it would be sad if you got frustrated because you weren't losing fast enough and self sabatoged (which is what I am famous for). Slow and steady wins the race and even if you don't meet your 60 lb goal you will feel fabulous just sticking with a good plan! Good luck and look forward to seeing where you are at in June!
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is possible. Having been fat-thin-fat-thin-fat repeatedly, I would encourage you to find some lifestyle that you can live with forever.
    I was 215 at Thanksgiving. I am 187 now. I on target to be 130 by end of June.

I have made gradual permanent changes.
    The first week I added a fruit and chia seed smoothie to breakfast everyday.
    The next week I added vegetables to the smoothie and walked a half hour during lunch.
    The next week I started making vegetable soup / stew for lunch and bringing it to work in a thermos everyday.
    The next week I stopped drinking diet soda and increased daily walks to 45 minutes
    The next week I gave up dairy and processed foods added some stairs to my walk.
    The next week I gave up eggs and added more seeds and beans to my meals, also increased walk to one hour
    The next week I increased amount of green leafy vegetables - large salad at night, started swimming laps before work.

This way I never have felt deprived. My energy levels have been increasing.
    I don't really bother with logging all the vegetables and they really fill me up. I stumbled on to Dr Fuhrmans nutritarian life style part way thru my journey and it made a lot of sense to me. I do eat bison a few times a month, when my brain starts whispering - Eat Meat - but otherwise I have migrated to a plant based diet.

I feel wonderful and the pounds are consistently melting off. This is so much easier than the torture I have put myself thru in the past!

^^^
    That's awesome! I have been gradual about my change as well adding and subtracting by week and I also feel like it is better than the last times I have tried.