High Protein, Low Sugar, Low Fat, Low Carbs

Options
Hey all! I need to find some higher protein snacks that are pretty "whole" - not processed that are low sugar, low carb and low fat

any ideas?

I'm not restricting my carbs or fats drastically or anything. I'm not having a problem meeting them (I have my MFP set to 40%/30%/30% but I'm having trouble meeting my proteins that I need!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, egg whites, and I think beef jerky/Slim Jim's.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I like fat free Greek yogurt (plain) with flavored protein powder mixed in. I normally have chocolate, and I swear it tastes like mousse.

I also really like Jamie Eason's recipe for turkey muffins which you can find on bodybuilding.com.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    beek jerky and protein powder! both very delicious
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LisaMia66
    Options
    I make a yummy smoothie. I started out with a smoothie that was over 400 calories (what?!) and adjusted it to almost half that. I use plain Greek yogurt; half a banana; 1 Tbs of peanut butter, 1/4 cup of sweetened, vanilla almond milk (unsweetened can be used to help with carb count); half a cup of crushed ice; 1/2 Tbs of honey to make it sweeter; and 1 Tbs of unsweetened cocoa powder (it only has 10 calories per Tbs and gives it a nice chocolaty taste). It contains 220 calories, is VERY filling, and it's fairly low in fat (2 g), and high in protein (20 g), however, the carb content isn't all that great but could be improved if you eliminate the banana and add a protein powder. I also add a small amount of chia seeds or flax/sunflower/pumpkin/sesame seed mix.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I need to find some higher protein snacks that are pretty "whole" - not processed that are low sugar, low carb and low fat

any ideas?

I'm not restricting my carbs or fats drastically or anything. I'm not having a problem meeting them (I have my MFP set to 40%/30%/30% but I'm having trouble meeting my proteins that I need!

OP, are you eating Paleo? I usually eat raw almonds (and sometimes raw cashews) with dark chocolate (77% and above). The darker the chocolate, the less sugar/carbs it has. They do make primal-friendly jerky (low sodium, unprocessed, seasoned), but it's even more expensive than the crap you can buy in a can. Hope this helps!
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Nuts? They have fats but the good for you kind.
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like fat free Greek yogurt (plain) with flavored protein powder mixed in. I normally have chocolate, and I swear it tastes like mousse.

I also really like Jamie Eason's recipe for turkey muffins which you can find on bodybuilding.com.

This is such a good idea! Thank you
  • Lkycharm
    Lkycharm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great idea to use Greek yogurt with the protien powerder....why didn't I think of that???? Thanks for sharing the idea.
  • cricketpup
    cricketpup Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I too have that problem with protein and I think its hurting my toning. I have a sent a post to my physican asking what is the best way to vamp up the protein. I'll post when I get an answer.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    How about cottage cheese and fresh fruit? I am trying to eat whole foods, unprocessed foods, also. I try to get my protein with a fruit or veggie (which are both carbs). It's hard to find that combination in one food, unless its just finding a protein (eggs, chicken or fish).
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Plain fat free greek yogurt would be my #1 suggestion.
    I am eating 50/30/20, and having no problem meeting my Protein, so if you'd like to see my diary, friend request me.
  • lldelmonte
    lldelmonte Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Do you like cottage cheese? If you have Friendship brand in your area, theirs is slightly higher in protein (14 g per 1/2 cup) with a denser consistency. You can have it plain, or with Wasa or Bran Crisps. (Personally, love it with red grapes, but that will up your sugar and carb content.)
  • LisaMia66
    Options
    How about cottage cheese and fresh fruit? I am trying to eat whole foods, unprocessed foods, also. I try to get my protein with a fruit or veggie (which are both carbs). It's hard to find that combination in one food, unless its just finding a protein (eggs, chicken or fish).
    Most fruits have a lot of natural sugar which equals carbohydrates. However, there are a lot of veggies that have very few carbs that can be eaten with cottage cheese. There's celery, cauliflower, broccoli, green peppers, etc. Almonds and walnuts are also low in carbohydrates. Now I'm wondering how those would taste with cottage cheese. Probably yummy and I just might try it! :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I too have that problem with protein and I think its hurting my toning. I have a sent a post to my physican asking what is the best way to vamp up the protein. I'll post when I get an answer.

I think your issue is trying to tone

for the OP, lean proteins such as chicken would work, protein powders etc
  • cjdippo15
    Options
    Thank you all for all your suggestions and ideas! I can't wait to try the yogurt with protein powder!!

I'm not doing Paleo. Just trying to stay away from processed and eat more "whole" foods and just eat better all the way around.
  • fullboost
    fullboost Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You could try whey or soy protein cakes or muffins
    Pretty self explanatory, eggs, butter, some cream (in the mixture) whey protein, baking powder + any flavourings you want (vanilla extract, few choc chips etc) in the oven for 20 mins and done.
    A quick google will find a proper recipe
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Protein:
    - Meat, poultry, fish (poultry and fish are great because you get a lot of protein for your calorie buck...fattier cuts of meat are delicious but cost you more calories)
    - Greek Yogurt
    - Eggs
    - Whey powder (to supplement)
    - Lots of other options, but those will give you a pretty good bang for your buck

Healthy Fats:
    - Almonds (or pretty much any nuts, I just prefer almonds)
    - Avocado
    - Olive oil (cook with it, it makes everything magically awesome...also use for salad dressings, etc)
    - Fatty fish like salmon and tuna
    - Peanut Butter

Carbs:
    Veg (4-5 servings per day)
    Fruit (1-2 servings per day)
    Whole grains and other grains/pasta (just some)
    Misc carbs from the other proteins and fats you're eating

My diary is open...I'm pretty consistent 40/30/30, especially during the work week when I'm in routine...I have days here and there (like today) where I'm not going to hit my macros, but over the course of any given week I'm pretty close to dead on 40/30/30. Probably more calories than you're doing, but might give you more ideas.
  • debvilla55
    Options
    Thanks, very helpful breakdown! I will check out your diary at times!